Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DVT / Bloodclots

Has anyone else here had experience with a DVT? Found out on Wednesday I have one just below the back of the knee at the age of 25,

Probably one of the most pain experience things I've ever encountered, really struggle to move let alone anything else,
From previous peoples experience how long does the dull acke and throbbing go on for?

Currently on injections for the next ten days

Comments

• What are the injections? Warfarin? If so, be very careful that you do not cut yourself. I would go as far as to stop shaving while you're on it.

Have you had scans? And do you have more scans lined up? The best result is that the clot breaks down naturally or with the help of the drugs. But you need to ensure it doesn't start moving - particularly *up* the leg.
  • are the injections warfarin ? ... This usually disperses the clot by thinning the blood, massage also helps but is usually VERY painful .. side effect is that you feel a bit weak and bruise very easily .. I had a minor stroke a few years ago and now take a daily small dose of clopidogrel, similar to aspirin as a mild blood thinner/stabiliser but without the nastier side affects associated with aspirin ..
    good luck in getting well again Matt
  • IAIA
    edited December 2015

Has anyone else here had experience with a DVT? Found out on Wednesday I have one just below the back of the knee at the age of 25,

Probably one of the most pain experience things I've ever encountered, really struggle to move let alone anything else,
    From previous peoples experience how long does the dull acke and throbbing go on for?

Currently on injections for the next ten days

I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clots on lungs) when I was 21. Couldn't breathe. The pain was on my chest and I had real difficulty breathing for several days. I was stuck in a wheelchair for the first week or so. It takes a while for the body to fully recover, can be months, but I think the immediate pains should fade in the next week or so.

The injections will not be warfarin - they will be heparin or similar. You will probably be put on warfarin tablets for at least 6 months, and have regular checks of your INR (a measure of how likely you are to clot).

I'm on warfarin for life, but most people get off it soon enough. I wouldn't overly worry about cutting yourself - it's something you should avoid anyway. It'll take a little longer to recover from a cut but it's not that bad.

The major point I would ask is this: is there an obvious reason for it? If you're male and haven't been on a cramped flight recently, I would be asking the doctor for reasons why it happened. If there's nothing obvious, then I'd worry if it might be genetic. And, if it's genetic, then there's a risk it'll happen again (this is why I'm on warfarin for life). This is especially a concern if you have sisters as they are at higher risk.

Best of luck with the recovery
  • the injections are probably Clexane. I have had two instances of DVT in my right leg, one after a long haul flight to Oz, and the other after a long coach trip to Anfield to see Charlton lose. Now on Warfarin for life. My INR is now well regulated and the Warfarin does the trick. Mine wasn't helped by a dodgy gene inherited from one of my parents !
  • edited December 2015
    The injections are Fragmin(Dalteparin ) I take them daily (in the tummy) my dad has a history of 4 DVTs so no real surprise, had a scan and was told it's in a good place and that they have got to it early

Sent me home the same day too
  • The injections are short term. Will you be going on warfarin?

If your dad has had 4 DVTs and you've had one at 25, I would suggest that you speak to your GP about the possibility of it being genetic and whether you should be on warfarin indefinitely. Possibly to see an haematologist. Next time might not catch it as early or it might hit your brain or heart. I am not a fan of it, but warfarin gives a sense of certainty. It would be lifelong medication and lifelong monitoring so probably not too appealing.

If you have sisters, it is a serious concern for them. The pill is a risk factor. Similarly for pregnancy.
  • Nope only child luckily! Yeah they are aware of my dad's past, I'm being referred to a special unit next week
  • Had this also behind the knee but was told it was due to a damaged valve was meant to have it operated on but was told op was very delicate and could have complications
    Pain 1st thing in morn was intense new
    Was told shifting a couple of stone would help
  • The injections are Fragmin(Dalteparin ) I take them daily (in the tummy) my dad has a history of 4 DVTs so no real surprise, had a scan and was told it's in a good place and that they have got to it early

Sent me home the same day too

Nope only child luckily! Yeah they are aware of my dad's past, I'm being referred to a special unit next week

good news
  • I had my first DVT at aged 21 then at aged 23 when pregnant with my second child. I then had lots of tests and found that I had 2 blood clotting disorders. Factor 2 and factor 5 Leiden gene mutation. It's hereditary and means that I'm about ten times more likely to get a blood clot than other people without the gene. It means that I have to take a preventative daily dose of heparin throughout all pregnancies and for 2-4 weeks before any operation and for 6 weeks after and also before and after any long journey and so on. Was a bit upset at first but it don't bother me anymore just used to it, quitting smoking and more exercise helps though. I'm sure you'll be fine they dispense quite quickly and if it turns out to be a genetic problem you're not alone.
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

The injections are short term. Will you be going on warfarin?

If your dad has had 4 DVTs and you've had one at 25, I would suggest that you speak to your GP about the possibility of it being genetic and whether you should be on warfarin indefinitely. Possibly to see an haematologist. Next time might not catch it as early or it might hit your brain or heart. I am not a fan of it, but warfarin gives a sense of certainty. It would be lifelong medication and lifelong monitoring so probably not too appealing.

If you have sisters, it is a serious concern for them. The pill is a risk factor. Similarly for pregnancy.

Although no one wants to be on tablets like you say being on Warfarin does give a sense of security. My INR is fairly stable (between 2.1 and 2.3) for about fourteen months. Go to Nurse at Surgery about every ten weeks for a two minute blood test and that's it.
  • IA said:

Although no one wants to be on tablets like you say being on Warfarin does give a sense of security. My INR is fairly stable (between 2.1 and 2.3) for about fourteen months. Go to Nurse at Surgery about every ten weeks for a two minute blood test and that's it.
    No need to brag. I used to be like that. For the last year, I've not been able to stretch it beyond every two weeks. 5.2 last week, 1.8 this week. FFS

Still, would never want to have that feeling of not being able to breathe again. Or the blood test done on my artery inside the wrist.
  • IA said:

IA said:

No need to brag. I used to be like that. For the last year, I've not been able to stretch it beyond every two weeks. 5.2 last week, 1.8 this week. FFS

Still, would never want to have that feeling of not being able to breathe again. Or the blood test done on my artery inside the wrist.
    Wow, if you don't mind me asking what causes such a large fluctuation?
  • IAIA
    edited December 2015
    I've probably been binging on lettuce!

They told me to take no tablets for 3 days to reduce the risk of heavy bleeding, so probably an overadjustment
  • Thanks guys

It's nice to see people gone through simular clotts and are still here. Makes me much more relaxed as I'm a total worryier anyway
  • edited January 2023
    I had a severe pain in my left groin, tough to walk. Went to the Dr's and was sent to hospital for a CT scan. They found multiple Clots on both lungs, the pain in the leg was some of the worst pain i have felt. I have been put on Riveroxiban to break up the clots, i had to back in this week via ambulance because i was having chest pain, they said it's due to the clots breaking up and moving around my system.

Interestingly during the tests they have also said i have a problem with my liver markers and that could be part of the reason, more tests on Monday...

Wish the leg pain would go away.
  • Heavy stuff @AppyAddick. Seems you had a narrow escape there. Good luck with the treatments!
  • Best wishes Appy. Hopefully you’ll be on the mend soon.
  • was hit right above my left pad, top of the inner thigh by a pretty fast bowled cricket ball about 25 years or so ago, the bruise would have done justice to Jackson Pollock .. doctor (luckily) sent me for a scan .. result: there was a big clot under the bruising .. I was put on warfarin for a month and for the first 10 days had to inject myself in the stomach with another blood thinner, when I say inject, the needle on the med capsule was very short .. warfarin did not agree with me, however the treatment did the trick, the clot disintegrated and (touch wood) I have had no trouble since, except for my batting that was .. get well soon @AppyAddick
  • All the best AppyAddick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, all the best AppyAddick. 
  • I developed blood clots in my leg after Chemotherapy.
    Didn't have any pain but my left leg swelled.
    So I'm now on Rivaroxaban for life.
    Absolutely hate it.
  • I developed blood clots in my leg after Chemotherapy.
    Didn't have any pain but my left leg swelled.
    So I'm now on Rivaroxaban for life.
    Absolutely hate it.
    Makes me so tired and i bruise so easily 👍