Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A question in my English contest.

In this experiment,the students studied were stopped several times during the listening test and asked to report what they______during the pause before answering the questions.

A.had just been thinking about
B.have just been thinking about
C.are just thinking about
D.had just thought about

My Charlton fellows ,which one is the right answer?

Comments

• I'd say A but i really am not 100% sure!
  • Unless it's D, then it's definitely A :-)
  • if it is a listening test wouldn't it be

"Had just been listening to"

Otherwise I would said "I've had a great time so I'm going to take the money"
  • A

had = third person (they, not I)
    just been = past present tense (which is not as far back as past tense)

I'm sure someone can explain it better, but definitely A
  • Jimmymelrose will be getting all excited when he sees this thread !
  • B or D. B would be better in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought it was B.
  • I think they are all right
  • It's B. Anyone who says anything else isn't a real Englishman. I've been speaking English for over 40 years so I know : -)
  • I think it is A if the student had stopped thinking when asked to report but it is B if the student is still thinking when interrupted and asked to report. The thinking was during a pause which preceded the answering of the question so he had stopped thinking when asked to report so it is A. On the other hand it could be B.
  • Matt Holland?
  • d,my english is excellent so go with me.
  • On second thoughts
    A = past action of continuous thinking has been completed
    B = past action of continuous thinking has indeterminate completion
    C = past action of continuous thinking ongoing
    D = past action of having a thought complete

It could be D but still think its A. Don't you pity people trying to learn our odd language.
  • Bloody hell, that would confuse a couple of people I know with English degrees.

Theoretically none of them are incorrect, depending on the context. However my vote would go with A.
  • i vote b.
    but i aint the bestest at englandish.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm in the middle of an english degree and i don't know... Agree with addickted. If I had to guess I'd most certainly go with A.
  • The correct answer is A although it would be better without the "just", i.e. "what they had been thinking about during the pause".
  • A and D are both correct, though mean slightly different things - A is more general 'I was thinking about whether or not Charlton would ever get back into the Premiership and qualify for Europe.' Whereas B is about individual thoughts: 'I thought about Charlton then I thought about the Premiership then I thought about Europe.'

The sentence is already in the past tense, so I think B and C are gramatically wrong.
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]A and D are both correct, though mean slightly different things - A is more general 'I was thinking about whether or not Charlton would ever get back into the Premiership and qualify for Europe.' Whereas B is about individual thoughts: 'I thought about Charlton then I thought about the Premiership then I thought about Europe.'

The sentence is already in the past tense, so I think B and C are gramatically wrong.

You're Scottish what do you know? :-)
  • Grew up in Belvedere, Len - and if I can manage to spell that...;-)
  • the best line of braveheart,was when the king said the problem with scotland is its full of scots,great line
  • Along the same lines, Mark E. Smith once said that Londoners are fine, it is the people who live in London who are tossers
  • good one salad,and so true
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Along the same lines, Mark E. Smith once said that Londoners are fine, it is the people who live in London who are tossers

What does he know? WORST GROUP EVER! Maybe even worse than Queen and that is saying something.
  • who is mark smith?