Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fullbacks and attacking options

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
why the hell do we always have to play the steady eddies, i,e Halford and Thatcher, lets get Mouts and Youga back in there and let the opposition worry about us. what did they have, one bad game each and then dropped, not fair. Also put Sam back in, i know he;s having a bit of a confidence crisis, but the boys got pace, and he gives the team a different dimension, especialy with the two fullbacks i mentioned backing the wingers up. Seeing Ambros play out on the right is painful, he really is just so slow, he cant move. He needs to play in the middle in my opinion.

I remember the Blackpool game, we had so many options going forward with pace, Mouts, Youga, Sam, Varney and Mcleod, that seems years ago now after watching that performace yesterday, we didnt have much to trouble them with did we really. Nice header from Lita though, as the game went on he and Iwelumo seemed to get a understanding, great flickons from Iwelumo.

Comments

• sam is injured i think.

Can't argue with what you say but Pards won;t change it now.
  • Sam will be out for a week or 2 more with hamstring trouble, so he's not an option.

Quite agree with you Rufus, about that January team that had pace - teams were struggling to live with us despite the Holland/ZZ combo in centre mid, and we were creating chance after chance against decent sides.

Halford & Thatcher are generally steady at the back but they lack that pace and thrust we had from Moots & Youga, pushing opposing defenders deep and overlapping themselves.

Back then, as a team we seemed to play further up the pitch and making play outside opponents' penalty area instead of dangerously just outside our own.

Also, we've sorely missed the pace of Bougherra at centre back as well his distribution on the floor from defence.
    Let's hope he's sufficiently match fit for Saturday?
  • yeah oggy, pace is so important these days isnt it. i know i was sitting there on saturday worried everytime the ball broke loose near our defenders on saturday, as they had pace up front in Ebanks-Blake and he was getting to everything first and causing us problems.

Lita's supposed to be quick but he doesnt seem that quick to me so far, not really troubling the Wolves defenders too much was he.
  • That is one of the things that I find most frustrating. We were playing some decent stuff with Youga, Moo2, Sam, Varney and McLeod and then Pards goes and changes it again and we revert to the long ball stuff with the big lump up front.
  • Too true and he seems to have a short memory/attention span...why not look back at what we were doing right and play those formations/players?

Im afraid its all gone so pear shaped in such a short while.
  • yeah TelinOZ, touch of the Curbishleys i think Pards is suffering from, scared of the players with a bit of ability and much more at home with the average joe sort of players
  • [cite]Posted By: rufus2005[/cite]touch of the Curbishleys i think Pards is suffering from

in my dreams
  • The fact that Youga isn't in the team completely baffles me. Even if Youga has told the club that he's off this summer regardless of what happens he should be the first defender on the teamsheet.
  • dead right santa. I was sitting in west stand on saturday watching thast rubbish knowing that Moots abd Youga were probably doing exactly the same as me rather than being out there on the pitch
  • Youga was a revelation. I bet he's not happy and I couldn't blame him. I think the best we've looked all season is with Moo and Youga in the full-back positions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Certainly going forward - if occasionally a bit dodgy Monseur Moots, at actually defending.

But, in my view, the important thing is that we frequently took the game to opponents
    and let them worry about us .

The od adage, 'the best form of defence is attack' comes to mind.

Providing we don't leave the backdoor wide open like we did on Saturday ....... (!)
  • I can see Youga reuniting with Curbs next season.
  • edited March 2008
    personally don't rate youga , i think his level is where we're at at the moment and could never see him coping at a higher level consistently
  • Youga's got the ability, OohAaaaagh, but has he got the concentration?

That's what you need as much as ability and pace in the Prem.
  • well hopefully youga might get the chance to test out his ability in the premiership for us next year

****the men in white coats arrive to throw him in the back of the van where oggy is waiting to discuss our push for a champions league spot next season****
  • Come, come, OooohAaaaaaagh, even I'm not that daft, am I?

AM I.....?????

LOL * laughing like a Hyena*
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]personally don't rate youga , i think his level is where we're at at the moment and could never see him coping at a higher level consistently

youga is only young and still learning the game i think he could easy be a prem player given a long run in the first team,i mean look at how well he started performing for scunny before we took notice and called him back..
    but he is also a bit of a hot head and that will only change with age...
  • It was one of the biggest mistakes of the season not to allow Youga and Reid to form a partnership. Reid was crying out for a pacy full back to give him the space to do his thing and when we discovered one who had ball skills and attacking instincts on top of the pace the powers that be promptly sold Reid on. Youga's departure (who can blame him?) should be used as an excuse to sack AP for gross misconduct.
  • edited April 2008
  • Sponsored links:

• Whatever happened to Youga!!

Was a class Left Back one season yet got an injury (against Bristol Rovers?) and never played for us again
  • Whatever happened to Youga!!

Was a class Left Back one season yet got an injury (against Bristol Rovers?) and never played for us again

Youga, Wiggins, Page, Basey etc.
    The curse of Cafc left backs.
    Bizarrely the only left back in recent times who I can only remember missing a game because he was dropped(not injured) was Morgan Fox, Who got pelters at Charlton, but ironically plays in a higher Division than Cafc !

It's a funny old game.
  • Right backs are not much better, Gary Poole, Gary Rowett.
  • iaitch said:

Right backs are not much better, Gary Poole, Gary Rowett.

Poole was horrendous , bar that screamer on debut
  • iaitch said:

Right backs are not much better, Gary Poole, Gary Rowett.

Greg Shields had injury problems too didnt he?