Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I accept this is subjective but

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
all the non Charlton Lifer season ticket holders I've spoken too are not planning on renewing next season.

Comments

• What, both of them?
  • lol

good
  • edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]What, both of them?

LOL!

About 10 actually!
  • Can't blame them really Len.Money's tight and going down there every other Saturday to watch a side low on determination and ideas is not everybodys cup of tea.
  • edited March 2008
    Next season will certainly sort out the wheat from the chaff as far as suporters go. It will show what a house of cards we have been.
    This was always going to happen. It's happened to Leicester, Forest, Southampton, Sheffield Uts + Wednesday, Derby, Norwich etc. It's about happen to Bolton and Fulham too.
    All we can hope is that we do a Man City and not a Nottingham Forest.
    Where did all this start? Curbs leaving? Dowie or Reeds crazy appointment? No, in my oppinon it started about three years ago or maybe four. The season when no one seemed to want 4th place in the Prem. We occupied it for something like 8 Saturdays over the season (including when others played Sunday etc).
    At the end of Feb we were 6th and the best opptunity for a European place was there. What happened? We totally fizzled out.
    Lack of drive by the whole club. The board, the management and the players. It lead to me making an infamous comment on a now defunked website.
    I took some stick for it but I was right.
  • Even if the freebie offer is available again?

Personally I would still have one in the Ryman but season tickets at The Valley arent the gold dust they used to be.

Am going to be very interested to see the prices in the East and West next season, they wont get away with charging £20 a match and £500+ for a season ticket again.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Next season will certainly sort out the wheat from the chaff as far as suporters go. It will show what a house of cards we have been.
    This was always going to happen. It's happened to Leicester, Forest, Southampton, Sheffield Uts + Wednesday, Derby, Norwich etc. It's about happen to Bolton and Fulham too.
    Where did all this start? Curbs leaving? Dowie or Reeds crazy appointment? No, in my oppinon it started about three years ago or maybe four. The season when no one seemed to want 4th place in the Prem. We occupied it for something like 8 Saturdays over the season (including when others played Sunday etc).
    At the end of Feb we were 6th and the best opptunity for a European place was there. What happened? We totally fizzled out.
    Lack of drive by the whole club. The board, the management and the players. It lead to me making an infamous comment on a now defunked website.

That's bang on DJDD
  • I recall Leeds occupied a similar position.

We were totally punching above our weight. It was never sustainable.
  • I couldn't think of two more different clubs, Charlton and Leeds.
  • I don't agree with that. There wasn't the sort of money sloushing about in the Prem then and there was some very average teams in the division.
  • Sponsored links:

• what was the comment you made chirpY?
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Am going to be very interested to see the prices in the East and West next season, they wont get away with charging £20 a match and £500+ for a season ticket again.
    My in-laws live in Cheltenham. One Saturday when the wife was with her mother (and I didn't fancy gardening with her father!) I went to watch Cheltenham - tickets were £18!

Obviously I don't want our prices to go up much (from a personal finance point of view), but we've been extremely spoilt with the proces we've been paying.
  • Our prices already are competitive - and in many cases cheaper - than most clubs in the Championship.
  • Can't understand how the board do not continue to run with the free season ticket for the forthcoming season, should the team gain promotion to the prem league. To lose 5m in ticket revenue seems a fair gamble.
  • WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    I'm sure it is/has being looked at Robbo.

Just think, there are only two home games left of the season - i think its quite unusual for us not be told anything yet....
  • I haven't had a season ticket for a couple of seasons and I don't really see what the advantage is for me in having one. It's not cheaper than buying single tickets (which despite not being a season ticket holder I think is a right pisstake) if I can't make it to a game I haven't lost out and if I'm stuck next to boo boys or muppets, I know that I've only got to put up with it for that game.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]I couldn't think of two more different clubs, Charlton and Leeds.

Charlton and Barcelona???
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]I couldn't think of two more different clubs, Charlton and Leeds.

A nightclub and a bowling club?

A sand wedge and one of those chocolate biscuits?

There's three for starters Lookie. Ain't got much of an imagination, have you?
  • a club foot and a supporters club
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]Can't understand how the board do not continue to run with the free season ticket for the forthcoming season, should the team gain promotion to the prem league. To lose 5m in ticket revenue seems a fair gamble.

Perhaps because it encorages booing if we do badly
  • I think you may be way off the mark regarding: 'sort out the wheat from the chaff as far as supporters go'

My brother, friends and terrace acquaintance’s have all been long term supporters and have stuck in there even when we have been in worst situations yet all are saying they will not renew their season tickets next season.

I think it should be a great concern to the club and all of us because once the attendances drop so does the revenue and the slippery slope that I witnessed from the late 50's could come back to haunt us.

I really hope the frustration of this season’s inept performances and last season disappointment subside in people’s minds after a summer break and they all reconsider. The club will need all its fans not just the ones some people think we should have if we are to make the club bigger and stronger for the future.
  • yeah unfortunately the dream fans are probably not more than a few thousand at best
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Next season will certainly sort out the wheat from the chaff as far as suporters go. It will show what a house of cards we have been.

I wrote this out the other day ,about the other clubs that have fallen through the trap door, and then decided not to post it, but it is crystal clear to me that we hit out peak against chelsea 4-2 and have then sold the absolute driving force behind a lot of that success in scott parker... ( I know he thought he was promied if top 3 side came in he could go etc) we have consistently sold our most important medfielders at crucial times, murphy(to a lesser extent) and the Reid sale was another flippin disaster, your success can only be maintained IF you DONT FLIPPIN SELL YOUR MOST IMPORTANT PLAYERS!!!!!!! Its not like the club would have burnt to ground if we had kept reid...

And before anyone says it, I know, I know prem wages and players choice an all....

(as an aside I once saw Sam Alladyce say "I'm 6'3 and 20 stone so if anyone thinks the're leaving they will have to go through me" now what is wrong with that approach...)

Its all about where does it end...

How Low do we go????

When we will have hit bottom and be back on the rise???

(sorry negative post alert!!)
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Next season will certainly sort out the wheat from the chaff as far as suporters go. It will show what a house of cards we have been.

Leicester, Sheff Utd, Sheff Weds, Derby all still get good crowds. Norwich fill their ground almost every week.

[cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]
    Am going to be very interested to see the prices in the East and West next season, they wont get away with charging £20 a match and £500+ for a season ticket again.

Personally i feel our prices are very affordable and we won't lose that many fans if they run the offer again. Maybe we'd lose 500-1000 season ticket holders but if we started off well next season this would mean more people paying on the day.
    I've got mates who go Millwall and their tickets are about £26-28. Earlier on this season i think i paid a tenner to watch Welling! So our prices really aren't that bad.
  • I dont disagree that our prices are good, especially behind the goal.

But 23 xs £20 = £460, season tickets down the sides are £525.

I can see a lot of people either scrapping to get a cheaper ST behind the goal or deciding to pay on a match by match basis if the ST's in those stands dont go down.
  • our ticket prices are more than reasonable and maybe if we charged a bit more thoughout the years we wouldn't have had to sell andy reid but there again we might only have 15k fans this season rather than 20k+ if we'd charged too much during curbs' glory years
  • I went to watch my brother in the Blue square south and was charged £15 to stand! Our prices our very competitive but our walk up crowds have been pretty poor when you consider the impressive renewals of ST last year.

ST were a must have when we were in the prem and the ground was around 20k in size, but even last season it was fairly easy to get a ticket the week before a game. Untill demand outstrips supply again ST sales will surely fall.
  • Money will be the most deciding factor for not renewing i would have thought, To not renew due to poor performance will mean most will but tickets on the day once saturday comes and it is a choice of footie or shopping you can bet you bottom dollar that footie will win
  • I would rather the club do not roll the Season ticket offer.

It did its job in bringing in much needed revenue when it was needed.

It has though become a millstone. I think it might also be useful for the Club to get an idea of what its 'genuine' season ticket fan base is so that it can finance around that figure without artificial distortions. It can make an offer of a free Prem season ticket to those fans who renew after a certain time or at the end of a promotion winning season if it wants.

I am now coming to accept being in this league for some years. And now that has sunk in I am not so beaten up about it.