Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

stop

isn't this taking it too far?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34872166
Trying too hard to present a certain image and smacks of insincerity.

Comments

• I actually agree. Really strange.
  • Don't remember them doing the same after 7/7 in London.
    Minutes silence is a much better idea - show those Turkish idiots how to do it respectfully.
  • Rizzo said:

I'll happily (possibly wrong choice of word) observe a minute's silence but the French National Anthem? Just no!

this
  • Rizzo said:

I'll happily (possibly wrong choice of word) observe a minute's silence but the French National Anthem? Just no!

Agreed.
  • edited November 2015
    Could it be as a reflection of the number of French players that are playing in the Premier League ?
  • edited November 2015
    We feel their pain - we've felt that pain.

A minutes silence, yes as Phil and Rizzo say and Wembley on Tuesday was done with dignity, but there is a fine line between empathy and sychophancy.
  • If Birmingham City don't play La Marseillaise before the match on Saturday, does that mean they're ISIS sympathisers?
  • edited November 2015
    Deleted as I remember AFKA pointing out that this might not be the best place for these kind of discussions.
  • edited November 2015

Don't remember them doing the same after 7/7 in London.
    Minutes silence is a much better idea - show those Turkish idiots how to do it respectfully.

I read up on this after seeing about the booing. Apparently they booed to protest at the complete lack of similarity in press coverage to the attacks in Turkey a month ago in which 95 were killed and 250 injured.

Utterly ***tish to boo the French one of course and indefensible.

It is weird though how Paris has been 24 7 coverage yet I wasn't even aware of the turkish one last month which was on a similar scale until googling it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• If it wasn't over such a serious subject, I'd think this was a wind-up

As said above, minutes silence yes

• Don't remember them doing the same after 7/7 in London.
    I read up on this after seeing about the booing. Apparently they booed to protest at the complete lack of similarity in press coverage to the attacks in Turkey a month ago in which 95 were killed and 250 injured.

It is weird though how Paris has been 24 7 coverage yet I wasn't even aware of the turkish one last month which was on a similar scale until googling it now.

That was the peace rally in Ankara that was bombed in mid October? Horrible scenes. I do remember seeing it on TV news after reporting on social media.
  • edited November 2015
    minute silence yes, French anthem no. it turns the whole remembrance into a bit of a gimmick, and as others have pointed out a minutes silence across the whole of the English football league is far more dignified I feel as we can all do it together.
  • IA said:

Don't remember them doing the same after 7/7 in London.

That was the peace rally in Ankara that was bombed in mid October? Horrible scenes. I do remember seeing it on TV news after reporting on social media.

Yeah just briefly read about it. Horrendous.
  • As ever uk news is very selective. I tend to watch Al Jazeera channel that is less sensored and much more news around the globe, not just where there are U.K. interests. I went to Turkey after the bombings and wall to wall coverage that we hadn't seen or heard here in uk.
  • Must say I agree with @Salad. Doesn't feel right, it's over the top. The French know we are with them after the England game anyway.

Got the bastard though, didn't they? Never underestimate la Republique. Remind me how long it took the War on Terror to nail Bin Laden? Well, never, is the answer, Obama had to finish it for them.

I do remember a lot of BBC coverage of the Ankara bomb both TV and Radio 4. But I could understand why they feel it was not so publicly acknowledged. But again, Paris is closer to London than Glasgow is.
  • People express sympathy and sadness in different ways. For me, that, personally, isn't suitable so therefore I agree with original post.

Good intention is obviously there but just comes across gimmicky.
  • It's taking a bit too far. Minutes silence yes.
  • edited November 2015
    Yes. 100% the intention, but a simple minutes silence would have been fine.
    As for the turks, you ve got to be honest. They lost a lot of peple on a peace march (a PEACE mearch ffs), and nearly 50 died in Lebanon last week as well, and we did'nt pray for them. I put a French flag on facebook but did'nt think to do Turkey or the Lebanon.
    Mind you, the Turkish government are more worried about the Kurds than ISIS, so they clearly have a different itinerary.
  • Salad said:

isn't this taking it too far?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34872166
    Trying too hard to present a certain image and smacks of insincerity.

I thought the limited edition club badge/poppy combo was a step too far. Why was it necessary to add well-off commercial businesses logos to a charity appeal? Tacky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Waiting for the 5 or 6 at one or two of the games to booo through it to get us slagged off by the worlds media, again

Stop while you're ahead
  • I think it is dressed up as good intentions but in truth the Premier League are just trying to slip-stream the postive publicity generated by the (excellent) actions at Wembley.
  • Salad said:

I think it is dressed up as good intentions but in truth the Premier League are just trying to slip-stream the postive publicity generated by the (excellent) actions at Wembley.

Such a strange thing to do though. If there's another attack in Kenya or Nigeria or Germany or Turkey or whatever will they be playing their national anthem? If not, will they be prepared for people asking why not? Strange place for the Premier League to be putting itself.

Minute's silence is obviously reasonable and respectful.
  • IA said:

If Birmingham City don't play La Marseillaise before the match on Saturday, does that mean they're ISIS sympathisers?

No, they're Zulus aren't they?
  • I remember we had a minutes silence after the Madrid railway bombings.
    Mendieta was in the opposition team.
  • Posting without reading

HAMMERTIME

IN THE NAME OF LOVE

RIGHT NOW THANK YOU VERY MUCH

• I have no problem with hearing Last Marseillaise on Saturday, just as long as it turns into 'All You Need is Love' after three bars.
  • The French national anthem has no meaning to me and I would feel a hyporcite singing it regardless of the situation. A minutes silence at Wembley on Tuesday was the right thing to do now time to move on and for everyone to be vidgulent take care and make sure we all play a part in helping our security forces to keep us all safe.
  • No to this, makes us seem over the top and unnecessary, we done it on Tuesday night, teams wearing le tricolor on black armbands, fair enough, even displaying the french flag it the Paris Peace logo on the big screen, but playng the national anthem is too much. We didn't play Star spangled banner after 9/11
  • I only just realised this a FAPL initiative, not the FA, is that correct?

Scudamore is not yet in Blatter's league of towering self -regard, but my goodness he's making a fist of it.