Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Agincourt

600 years ago today.

Excellent away win. Really stuck two fingers up at the French.

Comments

• the Battle of Trafalgar was on 21st October 1805 .. 210 years ago .. more important to British military, commercial and imperial power than Agincourt
  • the Battle of Trafalgar was on 21st October 1805 .. 210 years ago .. more important to British military, commercial and imperial power than Agincourt

Like comparing apples and pears.

But *today* is the 600th anniversary if Agincourt. Trafalgar may have been more significant, but it's like sitting round the Christmas dinner table saying you prefer Easter.
  • According to Dr Who Agincourt ended the 100 years war...
  • I dunno... the Battle of Agincourt involved one of the strongest French armies at the time, many of the leading Dukes / Earls of the French age at the time lost their lives at the Battle, if Henry hadnt invaded France at the time, you'd maybe have seen the French invading us in the years ahead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt#French

On the other hand the Battle of Trafalgar meant that the French at the time (Who were trying to) couldnt cross the Channel and so invade us, although Austerlitz was only a short while after Trafalgar it spelt the beginning of the end for Napoleon, i.e. he concentrated on the mainland (the invasion of Russia etc.) and allowed Wellington to land in Portugal and so begin the Peninsular War.

As already stated, its Apples and Pears between the two, two completely different conflicts, both being significant victories and is like trying to say that Messi / Ronaldo is better than the other
  • I dunno... the Battle of Agincourt involved one of the strongest French armies at the time, many of the leading Dukes / Earls of the French age at the time lost their lives at the Battle, if Henry hadnt invaded France at the time, you'd maybe have seen the French invading us in the years ahead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt#French

On the other hand the Battle of Trafalgar meant that the French at the time (Who were trying to) couldnt cross the Channel and so invade us, although Austerlitz was only a short while after Trafalgar it spelt the beginning of the end for Napoleon, i.e. he concentrated on the mainland (the invasion of Russia etc.) and allowed Wellington to land in Portugal and so begin the Peninsular War.

As already stated, its Apples and Pears between the two, two completely different conflicts, both being significant victories and is like trying to say that Messi / Ronaldo is better than the other

Yeah. But Messi is better than Ronaldo.

in hindsight, i guess you're right. But at the time if Henry V would've lived a bit longer (by a few weeks actually) he was promised the french throne. France would be part of the United Kingdom, or at least they would probably speak a frankish form of english.