Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charge to use Blackwall Tunnel

edited October 2015 in Not Sports Related
Just had leaflet through door about the proposed Silvertown Tunnel. Surprised to read that they are proposing a charge to use Blackwall Tunnel.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/silvertown-tunnel

Comments

• Another tunnel by the O2, will just make the bottleneck worse.

Can't believe that, they have not gone for a bridge between Gallions Reach and Thamesmead.
  • Lol @ 'manage demand'. So, basically, demand money from people who have to use it? As opposed to the numerous alternative methods of getting across the river round there (swimming, levitation etc)

Thieving shitmagnets

And the cable car!
  • Watching the video on that link it looks like the tunnel is effectively one bloody lane! The other one is a bus lane! That's really going to sort out the congestion...
  • Lol @ 'manage demand'. So, basically, demand money from people who have to use it? As opposed to the numerous alternative methods of getting across the river round there (swimming, levitation etc)

Thieving shitmagnets

And the cable car!
    True. Maybe at busy times (eg every day of the fucking year, every hour of the fucking day) they can remove the car itself and people could zip line it across :smiley:
  • Another tunnel by the O2, will just make the bottleneck worse.

Can't believe that, they have not gone for a bridge between Gallions Reach and Thamesmead.

That's still being worked up along with a crossing at Belvedere.

• Rizzo said:

Watching the video on that link it looks like the tunnel is effectively one bloody lane! The other one is a bus lane! That's really going to sort out the congestion...

The sign on the road indicates it is for Bus and Goods vehicles only.

If the traffic ever flows as nicely as that video shows I will eat my underpants.
  • West Ham will get a reduction in their rent because of the £millions of revenue they will generate for the taxpayer by attracting traffic across the river to the OS.
  • Do they really think things through? Low emission vehicles are shown as being exempt. What with the advances in electric car technology and the farrago of stuff coming out about diesel, we'll all be driving electric cars anyway by the time the tunnel opens and they won't collect sufficient money to pay for the charging systems let alone the tunnel itself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Meanwhile, Boris is giving Londoners the Garden Bridge. It is good to know that he has his priorities sorted.
  • is there anything with a hole in that we're not charged for these days?

thieving, useless f***tards.
  • edited October 2015
    Macronate said:

is there anything with a hole in that we're not charged for these days?

thieving, useless f***tards.

Wondered why the car park fees in the west stand had gone up.
  • edited October 2015
    I also heard that a proposed bridge to the East of London has to be made from daisies, only open between the hours of 10 and 11 in the morning to wheelchair users and nazi-cyclists only, have lentil bars and outreach centres at either end and IF they find a colony of the red crested six toed newt within 50 miles will not happen at all but you get a free swimming lesson (economic migrants need only apply).
  • One thing they've learned from the Dartford Tunnel is that introducing a charge really removes all congestion issues...
  • Yet another tax on the poor people of South East London and Kent who have the audacity to want to drive across the river through the only two option they have available to them. I wonder if there are any plans to charge for crossing Hammersmith or Putney Bridge etc.? I don't think so.....
  • I find it incredible that TfL can't even spell queueing correctly On their own website

"queuing"
  • Yet another tax on the poor people of South East London and Kent who have the audacity to want to drive across the river through the only two option they have available to them. I wonder if there are any plans to charge for crossing Hammersmith or Putney Bridge etc.? I don't think so.....

I made this very point on my response to the consultation and suggested tolls on the West London bridges should be used to pay for it. Oh, and 50% s/b paid by TfL as their buses get 50% of the available space.
  • cafcfan said:

Yet another tax on the poor people of South East London and Kent who have the audacity to want to drive across the river through the only two option they have available to them. I wonder if there are any plans to charge for crossing Hammersmith or Putney Bridge etc.? I don't think so.....

I made this very point on my response to the consultation and suggested tolls on the West London bridges should be used to pay for it. Oh, and 50% s/b paid by TfL as their buses get 50% of the available space.
    That's a very good point, I CAN see the logic of tolling Blackwall to pay for a new crossing (the money has to come from somewhere) but it's blatantly unfair to only toll Blackwall and not ALL London's crossings
  • A tax on east London. I don't see the folks in the posh side of town being asked to pay a charge to cross to the other half of their own city. I really hope this gets a huge public response.
  • Sponsored links:

• A tax on east London. I don't see the folks in the posh side of town being asked to pay a charge to cross to the other half of their own city. I really hope this gets a huge public response.

Perhaps it's the only way to pay for the stadium that it has.
  • The video (and I know it is only an artist impression) shows the peninsular jammed solid with massive appartment blocks. I guess this representation is probably fairly close to reality. Clearly the developers are going to make an absolute fortune. As part of the plannng approval they should be made to fund the infrastructure improvement including the new tunnel.
  • The video (and I know it is only an artist impression) shows the peninsular jammed solid with massive appartment blocks. I guess this representation is probably fairly close to reality. Clearly the developers are going to make an absolute fortune. As part of the plannng approval they should be made to fund the infrastructure improvement including the new tunnel.

Maybe they have been through a S106?

Agree, it shows an awful lot of development; except for a few acres on the east side. Wonder what the plans are for that bit of land?

Agree, it shows an awful lot of development; except for a few acres on the east side. Wonder what the plans are for that bit of land?
    There are plans mooted for lots of residential towers to go up around there, much like what's happening around Vauxhall. A quick Google search should bring it up.

On the plus side, the Pilot should make more money and.... er.... that's about it!
  • I'm gonna let the train take he strain, let em build as many bridges and tunnels as they want, I don't give a flying f**k anymore :wink:
  • Swisdom said:

I find it incredible that TfL can't even spell queueing correctly On their own website

"queuing"

Apologies for going off topic, but out of interest, is 'queueing' the only English word with 5 vowels in a row?
  • Swisdom said:

I find it incredible that TfL can't even spell queueing correctly On their own website

"queuing"

Apologies for going off topic, but out of interest, is 'queueing' the only English word with 5 vowels in a row?
    Uoeuae is longer. There's a few with five but cooeeing is the most common word after queueing.
  • Food for thought next time you lot get to vote for mayor?