Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    limeygent said:

Anyone who doesn't think there's a correlation between the availability of guns and the use of guns in instances such as these, is deluded.

That guns are available is a given. No new laws are going to get illegal guns off the streets. The criminal element will always have guns.
    This is stating something relatively obvious, however is also stating another thing completely inaccurately.

What about the guns worn by police officers?
  • limeygent said:

Confiscating legal firearms is not going to happen. The argument that "if guns were made illegal, only criminals would have guns" cannot be argued. The only people who would give up their guns are those who got them legally. I have to go into Baltimore regularly, to areas I wouldn't go out of choice. I have no protection as the gun carry laws are so stringent in Maryland. Those same laws do not stop Baltimore City having one of the highest gun murder rates in The U.S.

I may be wrong here but are these a case of guns being shipped in illegally then? Is that where every single criminal gun comes from?

Or are these guns stolen from people who have them legally and then they're sold on after a bit of filing of serial numbers?

Not forgetting the guns that are stolen from weapon shops in raids etc...

• I've read several sources that say UCC was not a gun free zone. Oregon is a state that allows students bring guns on campus. I have also read an open letter from a sherriff in Oregon (I think the sheriff of the relevant area) to Joe Biden which described any campus gun restrictions as unconstitutional and he would ignore it.
  • limeygent said:

People who wish to commit illegal acts will do so no matter what laws are in place. Guns will always be available to those who want to commit a crime such as this, and they choose their targets where they can do the most damage. This campus was a "no gun zone", with no armed security. He was stopped as soon as another gun arrived, about eight minutes after he started shooting.
    He apparently was shooting people who identified themselves as Christians, and reports are saying that he admired the perpetrators of previous shootings. It's time to consider how these incidents are reported.

I very often want to commit mass murder at work but the fact that i don't have a gun in my glove box, man bag or desk has frustratingly stopped me so far. Perhaps if I move to the USA things will change for me.

If you *do* decide to move to the USA, can I suggest that, when you fill out your visa application, you don't use your Charlton Life name?
  • 1. Lots of gun deaths
    2. Americans get upset if you tell them they can't have any more guns
    3. Let them keep the guns
    4. Ban ammo
  • limeygent said:

People who wish to commit illegal acts will do so no matter what laws are in place. Guns will always be available to those who want to commit a crime such as this, and they choose their targets where they can do the most damage. This campus was a "no gun zone", with no armed security. He was stopped as soon as another gun arrived, about eight minutes after he started shooting.
    He apparently was shooting people who identified themselves as Christians, and reports are saying that he admired the perpetrators of previous shootings. It's time to consider how these incidents are reported.

You managed to get two pages of debate on this, even though it's not true.
  • limeygent said:
    Really? That crock is the best opinion piece you can find for your views on gun control?
  • The sheriff of the department that had to respond to the UCC massacre wrote an open letter to Joe Biden in which he refused to enforce gun control.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015
    IA said:

The sheriff of the department that had to respond to the UCC massacre wrote an open letter to Joe Biden in which he refused to enforce gun control.

I'm speechless. The bloke needs shooting.

• limeygent said:
    Do you believe that the police should be more heavily armed, equally heavily armed or less heavily armed than law-abiding citizens?
  • The two sides of this argument will never find any middle ground either side of The Atlantic, neither will they come up with a solution it seems.
  • limeygent said:

The two sides of this argument will never find any middle ground either side of The Atlantic, neither will they come up with a solution it seems.

Thankfully it's your problem not ours so the solution is yours to find. If the US of A doesn't think a solution is required then so be it.
  • 5 shot, 1 killed near shopping center in Baltimore

Because, you know, it's been nearly a whole day since the last one...
  • PL54 said:

limeygent said:

The two sides of this argument will never find any middle ground either side of The Atlantic, neither will they come up with a solution it seems.

Thankfully it's your problem not ours so the solution is yours to find. If the US of A doesn't think a solution is required then so be it.
    Nobody said a solution is not required, as you well know.
  • Chizz said:

5 shot, 1 killed near shopping center in Baltimore

Because, you know, it's been nearly a whole day since the last one...

Almost a daily occurrence in Baltimore, I bet the guns weren't obtained legally.
  • edited October 2015
    limeygent said:

PL54 said:

limeygent said:

Nobody said a solution is not required, as you well know.
    Put a bit of effort into finding one then.

Solution does require change though.
  • Abrasive sort aren't you?
  • Sponsored links:

• limeygent said:

No one is suggesting arming school children, and you know it.

The BBC interviewed the local parson, and after saying that it was a tragedy and that students were crying to him and describing what had happened to their friends, did precisely that. His solution was that if ALL the students had guns then the tragedy couldnt have happened because they could have defended themselves. The interviewers were stunned and quickly ended the interview.

That certainly would help resolve playground disputes, when my mate tripped me in the quad I could have taken out my Pistol and blown him away, it would prevent running in the corridors, and it would definately make cowboys and indians more exciting.
  • Makes me laugh there are so many experts who don't live in The U.S.
  • limeygent said:

Makes me laugh there are so many experts who don't live in The U.S.

Well thank god we don't have experts like those that do live in the USA
  • 13 legally purchased weapons found in gunman's cache - What do they expect, Seriously.
  • limeygent said:

Makes me laugh there are so many experts who don't live in The U.S.

If living in the US make you believe less guns won't result in less crime, I'm quite happy where I am, thanks.
  • 6 October: "Philadelphia Community College is in lockdown following reports of a gunman on campus".

Surely it can't be long before the NRA decide to have a major crack-down on the cause of the problem of shooters in schools: schools.
  • edited October 2015
    http://everytownresearch.org/reports/innocents_lost/

The stats are scary and recommendations so obvious ie don't eave loaded guns where kids can get them but still such advice and control is opposed.

I don't live in the States. Does that mean I can't have an opinion that an 11 year old shooting an 8 year old is wrong and that something has to be done.

Not living in a particular street, town, county or country is not a rebuttal of another's opinion, it is just dodging the issue. Shame the children can'd dodge the bullets so easily.