Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Greenie said:

Dazzler21 said:

It needs to have a mental health suitability test at very least. May not catch em all but surely would catch out some?

Don't get me wrong mate, I'm all for restricted ownership with more checks than you care to mention, but even with mental illness/stress checks, whose to say that one day everything is fine the next day or week, someone who owns an AK (why do you need to have a friggin AK?) goes bok.
    Too true, but until you can ban all guns...
  • How amusing that Switzerland, notorious for using wars for profit and always keeping their heads down, require everyone to be part of the militia.
  • So the two options are either gun control or more guns? It seems the US gets more resolutely pro gun after each shooting.

I don't really see where this will end. Presumably you'll end up arming toddlers?
  • The gun lobby is very powerful. It won't change.
  • Wow he's not alone in being a wrongen
    Gawd, what a sick bunch. And they let these people have guns!
  • How amusing that Switzerland, notorious for using wars for profit and always keeping their heads down, require everyone to be part of the militia.

probably how they've kept independent, the fact that EVERYONE will be up in the mountains sniping at the invaders .. shades of Serbia and Afghanistan .. also of course is the fact that Switzerland has historically been a nice refuge for dictators, despots, thieves, and secret policemen alike to stash their ill gotten cash .. no questions asked
  • There's also the old adage that a country with a standing army will always be at war, you don't want all those soldiers bored at home!

That's why the Swiss have a militia, because they don't have a standing army.

probably how they've kept independent, the fact that EVERYONE will be up in the mountains sniping at the invaders .. shades of Serbia and Afghanistan .. also of course is the fact that Switzerland has historically been a nice refuge for dictators, despots, thieves, and secret policemen alike to stash their ill gotten cash .. no questions asked
    I think I read somewhere that the Swiss have the highest rate of gun suicide in the world....It must be all that Cheese.
  • Sponsored links:

• "We need guns to protect us from people with guns!" (hand over face)
  • "We need guns to protect us from people with guns!" (hand over face)

The sad thing is that that is the logic in use too often.

They use similar logic about cars - "I need to drive a tank so the other tank driving idiots can't kill me"
  • We need trident as the bad guys have nuclear weapons.....
  • Greenie said:

How amusing that Switzerland, notorious for using wars for profit and always keeping their heads down, require everyone to be part of the militia.

I think I read somewhere that the Swiss have the highest rate of gun suicide in the world....It must be all that Cheese those guns.
    FTFY :smiley:

• Changing the laws will not change anything.
  • LouisMend said:

limeygent said:

Changing the laws will not change anything.

It'll change the laws for starters.
    Brilliant.

• limeygent said:

LouisMend said:

limeygent said:

Changing the laws will not change anything.

It'll change the laws for starters.
    Brilliant.

In fairness, the phrase "changing the laws will not change anything" does need a bit of further expansion, doesn't it?
  • Ok, changing the laws will not stop these shootings.
  • limeygent said:

Ok, changing the laws will not stop these shootings.

That's interesting. What makes you think that?
  • Sponsored links:

• The 301 million guns in circulation in America.
  • People who wish to commit illegal acts will do so no matter what laws are in place. Guns will always be available to those who want to commit a crime such as this, and they choose their targets where they can do the most damage. This campus was a "no gun zone", with no armed security. He was stopped as soon as another gun arrived, about eight minutes after he started shooting.
    He apparently was shooting people who identified themselves as Christians, and reports are saying that he admired the perpetrators of previous shootings. It's time to consider how these incidents are reported.
  • Assuming that there's just as many people in the UK who want to commit such acts, why don't we have as many mass shootings?

Is it because guns aren't available as easily?

Or is it because there aren't as many people in the UK who want to commit such acts? And if there isn't - why not? What in America makes more people (as a % per 100,000 people) want to do them?
  • I don't know, you tell me.
  • edited October 2015
    limeygent said:

People who wish to commit illegal acts will do so no matter what laws are in place. Guns will always be available to those who want to commit a crime such as this, and they choose their targets where they can do the most damage. This campus was a "no gun zone", with no armed security. He was stopped as soon as another gun arrived, about eight minutes after he started shooting.
    He apparently was shooting people who identified themselves as Christians, and reports are saying that he admired the perpetrators of previous shootings. It's time to consider how these incidents are reported.

Please tell us you're not going to espouse the "if the teachers/security staff/caretaker/Willy the groundskeeper were armed" point of view. Adding fuel to the fire is really not the answer.

I'm also not sure what your point about the reporting is? I can't speak for over there but the way these sprees are reported here hardly makes heroes of the perpetrators.
  • limeygent said:

People who wish to commit illegal acts will do so no matter what laws are in place. Guns will always be available to those who want to commit a crime such as this, and they choose their targets where they can do the most damage. This campus was a "no gun zone", with no armed security. He was stopped as soon as another gun arrived, about eight minutes after he started shooting.

Please tell us you're not going to espouse the "if the teachers/security staff/caretaker/Willy the groundskeeper were armed" point of view. Adding fuel to the fire is really not the answer.

I'm also not sure what your point about the reporting is? I can't speak for over there but the way these sprees are reported here hardly makes heroes of the perpetrators.
    So what are YOU saying? That if one of the victims had had a gun, or if the security people had been armed, the outcome couldn't have been different?
  • limeygent said:

limeygent said:

So what are YOU saying? That if one of the victims had had a gun, or if the security people had been armed, the outcome couldn't have been different?
    But who would have stopped them if they had had a mental health breakdown last week and wanted to go on a rampage?
  • limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Good grief.

You don't solve a problem by implementing another problem. Solution is not to arm school kids or their teachers.

Is this really a serious line of thought over there? God bless America ? $#%@€,
  • limeygent said:

I very often want to commit mass murder at work but the fact that i don't have a gun in my glove box, man bag or desk has frustratingly stopped me so far. Perhaps if I move to the USA things will change for me.

• No one is suggesting arming school children, and you know it.