Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

king crimson

I've been a fan of king crimson since the release of " in the court of the crimson king " and might even say they are my favourite band, i only hesitate because how do you compare different genres of music against each other, probably can't.

disappointedly, i've only ever seen them twice. once about ten years ago at the royal albert hall and while good, i'd gone there expecting all the old favourites and the only track i knew, was i believe " the talking drum " from larks tongues in aspic.

but on tuesday night at the hackney empire, they excelled themselves and all my favourites were played and i have to say it was a great gig from a great band and so glad i got to see them play the songs i've grown up with live.

first time i've ever seen three drummers at the front of the stage but well deserved and great performances from all. of course they've morphed on many different occasions and only mel collins, apart from fripp himself, was part of the early incarnation.

Comments

• An album I cherished,
    Robert Fripp has an amusing story about jimi.
    He calls it his Hendrix story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woRhyl4k6sc

• Love King Crimson and saw them as a support act at the Rolling Stones concert in Hyde Park where they truly blew The Stones out of the water to that point I had never seen a guitar player sit down but then Bob Fripp never did anything conventionally. Saw them again at The Roundhouse after the second album came out and musically they were well in advance of most bands. Not the easiest band to listen to and Fripp unlike virtually all guitarists at the time was not particularly blues influenced so his playing was really unique. Over the years I have followed the various members particularly Fripp and they have all produced great music, although I add the caveat that I cannot bear Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

I play some guitar and have tried to learn a few Frippism's but was never very successful as it is very complex and technical. great that they have reincarnated again and will look out for any new albums
  • Saw them at the old Hammersmith Palais in 82 or 83 - on of those years anyway!!

They've reinvented themselves with many new line-ups but all in all a sensational band and In the Court of the Crimson King is one of the all-time great albums. Also, Fripp is one of the truly great guitarists.
  • An album I cherished,
    Robert Fripp has an amusing story about jimi.
    He calls it his Hendrix story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woRhyl4k6sc

good story.
  • Love King Crimson and saw them as a support act at the Rolling Stones concert in Hyde Park where they truly blew The Stones out of the water to that point I had never seen a guitar player sit down but then Bob Fripp never did anything conventionally. Saw them again at The Roundhouse after the second album came out and musically they were well in advance of most bands. Not the easiest band to listen to and Fripp unlike virtually all guitarists at the time was not particularly blues influenced so his playing was really unique. Over the years I have followed the various members particularly Fripp and they have all produced great music, although I add the caveat that I cannot bear Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

I play some guitar and have tried to learn a few Frippism's but was never very successful as it is very complex and technical. great that they have reincarnated again and will look out for any new albums

agree they are not the easiest band to listen to but they do deserve to be listened to because there is so much entwined within there music. i do get tired of the "prog rock" tag because they are so much more than that.

i don't like emerson lake and palmer either!
  • Fripp is married to Toyah .

So I understand, She from a 'Punk' background, and he well, serious musician. Saw her on the one show, this week with Duran, Duran, recreating one of her 'looks'.
    Not sure I would agree about her comments about Duran, Duran, but I guess each to there own.
    More impressed with Ron Wood and his time with the faces, now that was a great live band, and the songs were not too shoddy as well.
    Those you tube shows of the faces at the Marquee, and at the BBC really are classics, stand up to any band these days..... in my opinion.

Yes but it's a bit of a strange marriage (it would be with Toyah) - I believe they live apart for most of the year!!
  • edited September 2015
    bobmunro said:

Fripp is married to Toyah .

Yes but it's a bit of a strange marriage (it would be with Toyah) - I believe they live apart for most of the year!!
    So would I if I was him. He probably gets fed up being covered in spit from the plastic punk.

Not many people know about their marriage; apparently it's a mythtewy....
  • Sponsored links:

• The always welcome, never dated ethereal awe of "Islands", followed by the epic maelstrom of "Larks Tongue In Aspic"(yuk), are my winner/runner up KC picks. Thoughts anyone?
  • was also there on tues - was definitely a special gig! very glad they got the likes of starless and epitath in there. the drummers were incredible, in sync with each other to the point that it almost became hypnotic. this gives a bit of a flavour:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1JapuD0ikk
  • yes i've really gotten more into larks tongue,over the last few years as well as red but the truth is they could probably play anything and i'd like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znvPTMf18S0

also meant to say the middle drummer with the white hair, kept reminding me of alan pardew, which was a bit grim and the only downside!

been listen to some of the collaborations fripp and various other members and ex members have been doing in particular the projekct, like what i've heard so far.
  • Am I the only one who likes Lizard?
  • I had an old VHS tape of them which I recorded by chance - it blew my mind at the time. I've managed to convert it to DVD, but I'm glad to report that clips of it are on YouTube.

Just an amazing band. Fripp is an awesome guitarist.
  • Am I the only one who likes Lizard?

no but it's not their best.

I've just bought "discipline" a marked change in style but then it is a decade later. really like it, very good.
  • Here's the link to the video I remember from way back - still out of this world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64swVmq_XPk