Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eltham 1977

Following on from the recent Woolwich thread, here is an interesting view of Eltham in the 70's

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-semi-detached-suburban-1977/

Comments

• Classic piece, what characters by Jove.

Mrs White to son - "Get dressed in your yellow and white disco gear that matches my dress, we're going shopping in Eltham".

Noise problem on the Rochester Way? Blame it on those bloody French foreign lorries.
  • Some great shots of the high street; Carpenters Arms, Rising Sun, Hinds and Furlongs.
  • very good
  • Great nostalgia. Thems waz the days.
  • Great stuff, how do you find these things.
    Life was so simple then.
  • Anything on the Charlton Area?
  • Interesting bit of social history,
  • Just watched. Fascinating. Some corking lines in there.
  • Curb_It said:

Just watched. Fascinating. Some corking lines in there.

Yes, poshest bloke the Council could muster and probably the last one ever to say "by Jove!" Great window on the 70's.
  • Curb_It said:

Just watched. Fascinating. Some corking lines in there.

Yes, poshest bloke the Council could muster and probably the last one ever to say "by Jove!" Great window on the 70's.
    he was very posh wasn't he!
  • Sponsored links:

• The woman who spoke first was the mum of one of the girls in my class at primary school.

• Deansfield? Funny to see the kids playing in the playground.

Bought back some fond memories for me - particularly seeing the old Eltham Park station and the walkway to it from Glenesk Road.

And the old shops and pubs in the High Street along with Eltham Church with no MacDonalds opposite!
  • Addickted said:

Deansfield? Funny to see the kids playing in the playground.

Bought back some fond memories for me - particularly seeing the old Eltham Park station and the walkway to it from Glenesk Road.

And the old shops and pubs in the High Street along with Eltham Church with no MacDonalds opposite!

Westmount Road.

• edited August 2015
    Never went to Eltham Park station I was always an Eltham Well Hall kid myself

Am I right in thinking that Park to Well Hall was one of the shortest distance between train stations in England or some old guff like that
  • Facinating stuff,remember both the stations as well,want there a crash there in the 70s
  • I lived in middle park avenue at the the time and went to middle park primary
  • edited August 2015

Facinating stuff,remember both the stations as well,want there a crash there in the 70s

Yeah - was on the bend between Kidbrooke and Eltham. Driver was pissed I think. Quite a few dead.

• edited August 2015
    Riviera said:

Addickted said:

Deansfield? Funny to see the kids playing in the playground.

Westmount Road.

Indeed, the walkway ran parallel to the railway line all the way from Glenesk Road to Westmount Road.

The covered section shown on the video was from Westmount - I remember the sweet shop on the bridge, which also sold train tickets.

The longer part of the walkway, ran uncovered up to Glenesk Road. I must have walked it a thousand times.
  • Facinating stuff,remember both the stations as well,want there a crash there in the 70s

The crash was after Well Hall, where the track bends round.
  • Horseshoe Bend it was called and was straightened out when the stations merged.
  • Sponsored links:

• I enjoyed that although I notice that they stayed in the 'posher' end of town.

I was hoping to see a 7 year old Suede mooching around the mean streets of Middle Park :)
  • Loved that. Especially the peeler with the hipster beard!

Yeah - was on the bend between Kidbrooke and Eltham. Driver was pissed I think. Quite a few dead.

Apparently, Phil Daniels, of Quadrophenia fame, was on that train. 1972, I think.
  • Like the way they were using the News Shopper for the parrot's cage (8:20).

Reassuring to know some things never change ....
  • Never went to Eltham Park station I was always an Eltham Well Hall kid myself

Am I right in thinking that Park to Well Hall was one of the shortest distance between train stations in England or some old guff like that

As a kid I used to love going to Eltham Park. The walkway down had some great echoes, and it was supported by some kind of metal underneath that gave it a very pleasing sound when you slapped your feet on it.
  • I thought it quite surprising they had to explain the concept of a supermarket. How things have changed in such a short while.
    It must have been an incredibly boring film then but it's an interesting one now, a snapshot in time.
  • That supermarket was Caters wasn't it (where Argos is now) ?!?

Do I recall correctly that there was an armed robbery in there that made the National news in late 70's / early 80's ?
  • Was Eltham Well hall basically where Eltham sation is now?
  • Was Eltham Well hall basically where Eltham sation is now?

No mate. Was further back down Sherard Rd where the 'new' doctors surgery place is.

• That supermarket was Caters wasn't it (where Argos is now) ?!?

Do I recall correctly that there was an armed robbery in there that made the National news in late 70's / early 80's ?

Yes it made headline news because one of the robbers was shot dead by an off duty policeman as I recall?