Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help wanted! - anyone fancy a beer/coffee/drink?

Essentially, I would like to meet up with a few Charlton fans and talk for about half an hour to an hour about community and Charlton fans.

What is it?

I'm doing my dissertation research at the moment and I'm 'interviewing' Charlton fans as part of this research. It will be like a conversation about Charlton, with topics including, but not limited to: how you started supporting Charlton, why you continued supporting them, what you think of producing local players and whether you think having a foreign owner impacts the identity of the club.

My dissertation is about community in urban areas and I'm using Charlton as a case study, so would like to talk to a few of you if you have the time and are up for it.

When and where?

This is entirely up to you, as long as I can make the time and dates. I'm willing to travel (within reason) so don't worry if you live far away as I'd still love for you to take part in the research.

We could do it after work, in your lunch break, on the weekend. Whatever's easiest for you

It is entirely possible to talk over Skype or telephone as well, so if you want to take part but think you live too far from South East London please give me a message and we can sort something out. If anything, living far from the Valley and remaining a big Charlton fan is extremely relevant to my research.

How long would it take?

So far, the time taken for this ranges from 25 minutes to 55 minutes, more commonly staying nearer the 30 minute mark.

What's in it for you?

You'd be helping out a fellow Charlton fan in a piece of work extremely important to their degree.

Also, as suggested in the title, as you are helping me out massively and giving up your time (I understand that many of you are very busy) I would like to buy you a beer or a coffee or any drink of your choice to say thanks.

How to contact me if you are interested

Send me a message on here then we can proceed as is easiest for you. I could give you a ring, or if you'd rather talk on Facebook or continue messaging on here then that's what we'll do.

I'm basically begging

I can't do this research without the help of good people like you, and without this research it'd be very difficult for me to get a good grade in my degree. I don't want to guilt trip you, but...

If you can't take part (through not wanting to or not being able to) I would very much appreciate if you mentioned this to anyone that may be interested.

Finally, a sincere thank you in advance to anyone who does respond and takes part because it helps me out massively.

Comments

• Thursday afternoons at the Museum there is a reminiscence group that meets. About a dozen people mostly older as you would expect.

Or come up to the museum when it is open 11.00 to 1.00 on matchdays and see who you can grab. earlier would be better as less busy.
  • Just teasing you. Good luck.
  • Sure Yann, I could do sometime next week. Live in New X worrk Liverpool Street. Can have a pint after work.
  • Thursday afternoons at the Museum there is a reminiscence group that meets. About a dozen people mostly older as you would expect.

Or come up to the museum when it is open 11.00 to 1.00 on matchdays and see who you can grab. earlier would be better as less busy.

Thanks for this info, would be great if they would like to chat to me for a bit. What time on Thursday afternoon? Would like to come next week
  • EastStand said:

Sure Yann, I could do sometime next week. Live in New X worrk Liverpool Street. Can have a pint after work.

Thanks mate, I sent you a message
  • Happy to help mate and generally flexible within London but will be away for about ten days now. If you still need help after that, just let me know.
  • i'm happy to help and have a coffee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Paddy7 said:

Happy to help mate and generally flexible within London but will be away for about ten days now. If you still need help after that, just let me know.

Thanks mate, I've sent you a message
  • i'm happy to help and have a coffee.

Thanks, I've sent you a message
  • 1905 said:

Happy to help - reckon I could shift 4 strongbows in half an hour and wont be bringing my allet :-)

Forgot to say - no strongbow drinkers
    That's a shame, was just going to offer to help.

• 1905 said:

Happy to help - reckon I could shift 4 strongbows in half an hour and wont be bringing my allet :-)

Forgot to say - no strongbow drinkers
    We have a strongbowist!!!

• I'm happy to help as well.
  • Happy to help too, but as a relatively recent supporter who lives 10-15 minutes walk from The Valley dunno how useful that is.
  • I'll do it over the phone if that's OK ?
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. PL54 over the phone would be great thanks. Centurion being a recent fan is fine! Thanks iainment! I will send you all a private message in a bit when I have a bit more time.
  • Sponsored links:

Thanks for this info, would be great if they would like to chat to me for a bit. What time on Thursday afternoon? Would like to come next week
    Let me check when they are back from their summer break. Next week might be too early.

Let me check when they are back from their summer break. Next week might be too early.
    Yann, if the wait for the reminisence group, is more than a few weeks, I wouldn't hold your hopes too high :smile:
  • Hi
    Happy to do this, born in Charlton, lived in Charlton, for first 21 years, been a supporter for over 50 years.
    Helped as part of the supporters trust to gain an 'asset of community Value' on the Valley.......
  • Alright, we can't all blow our own trumpet like you
  • Hi
    Happy to do this, born in Charlton, lived in Charlton, for first 21 years, been a supporter for over 50 years.
    Helped as part of the supporters trust to gain an 'asset of community Value' on the Valley.......

Thanks, I have sent you a message.
  • Hi

me me me
  • I am a life Charlton supporter but have never actually lived in Charlton, I've been to over 300 games in over 30 years .. Live in stoke on Trent so may be a struggle for you but hope be down the valley soon rather than later when the season kicks in
  • CH4RLTON said:

I am a life Charlton supporter but have never actually lived in Charlton, I've been to over 300 games in over 30 years .. Live in stoke on Trent so may be a struggle for you but hope be down the valley soon rather than later when the season kicks in

Unfortunately I move to Amsterdam a week after the QPR game, but would you be available to talk on Skype or over the phone at some point?
  • A dissertation about Charlton, moving to Amsterdam... Bloody students.