Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Star Plumstead Common.

edited July 2015 in Not Sports Related
I went there for the first time since Brian gave it over to the new manager this evening. I was there from about 6.30 until closing time with my partner.
We drank about 5 pints each. At the end of the evening we were joined at our table by someone we didn't know. He introduced himself to us and then began to drink out of a can he brought in.
The staff came over and told him and us off.
As we left the owner came up to us and was verbally abusive to me as I had earrings and was thus a sad case and then racially abused my Irish partner. His behaviour was deranged.
He told us in no uncertain terms he didn't want the types who used to drink there anymore. Apparently we are losers and not good enough to be in his pub please if you are drinking around Plumstead Common go to the Mill or the Ship, he has no concept of customer care or how to grow a business.
And he doesn't like Charlton.

Comments

• Wow! That is horrible-my Nan and Grandad, bless them, were regulars to the point that their wakes were held in the Star. They also adored Brian and Jean so this story really saddens me.

I think it was struggling any way-with customer service like that, I wouldn't expect it to be there much longer and to follow most of the other pubs in that area in becoming another Tesco.....
  • Ironically Brian was in during the evening, he seemed ok but obviously was uncomfortable there.
  • Hasn't the star just had a big refurbishment and a bit of a change of concept?? I'd heard really good things but that sounds pretty awful way to be treated
  • Yes it's had a makeover physically, and it's not bad. But.........
  • I won't.
  • It's the last sentence that hammers the final nail into the coffin really.
  • Heard on the first day of the re-opening there was a massive punch up that spilled out onto the street. Pal who drove past said it looked like something out of the Wild West, only in sunny Plumstead....
  • Went in there Saturday night, thought it was fine and everyone was friendly.
  • Earrings.
  • Sponsored links:

• So the bloke wants to improve his bar by raising the quality of customer, maybe I'm missing something but isn't that a good thing?
  • 5 pints in just under 5 hours!
    I've seen people asked to leave for "slow play" with that kind of pace.
    They usually appear when arsenal or Chelsea are on sky.

He's known as the Geoffrey Boycott of drinking.
  • I suspect the refurbishment has swept away the unusual features that earned the Star much praise in 'London Heritage Pubs: An Inside Story'. These include the Victorian mirrored bar-back, counter, and rare head-height screen dividing two bars on the Jago Close side of the building. The fittings on the left-hand side of the pub were mostly inter-war, with three-quarter-height panelling, striped glazing in the bar-back, and gas-light fittings.

I visited the Star after a Saturday game a couple of seasons ago and thought it was a highly attractive community pub with a friendly vibe. Why ruin it?

• I visited The Valley for a Saturday game a couple of seasons ago and thought it was a highly attractive community club with a friendly vibe. Why ruin it?

• PL54 said:

I visited The Valley for a Saturday game a couple of seasons ago and thought it was a highly attractive community club with a friendly vibe. Why ruin it?

PL54 - I haven't missed a home game, league or cup, for six seasons. And you?

• 5 pints in that amount of time? Hang your head in shame.
  • PL54 said:

I visited The Valley for a Saturday game a couple of seasons ago and thought it was a highly attractive community club with a friendly vibe. Why ruin it?

Viewfinder - why punish yourself like this?!?!
  • PL54 said:

Calm yourself
  • Sponsored links:

• I couldn't manage five pints in five days.
  • iainment said:

I went there for the first time since Brian gave it over to the new manager this evening. I was there from about 6.30 until closing time with my partner.
    We drank about 5 pints each. At the end of the evening we were joined at our table by someone we didn't know. He introduced himself to us and then began to drink out of a can he brought in.
    The staff came over and told him and us off.
    As we left the owner came up to us and was verbally abusive to me as I had earrings and was thus a sad case and then racially abused my Irish partner. His behaviour was deranged.
    He told us in no uncertain terms he didn't want the types who used to drink there anymore. Apparently we are losers and not good enough to be in his pub please if you are drinking around Plumstead Common go to the Mill or the Ship, he has no concept of customer care or how to grow a business.
    And he doesn't like Charlton.

Next time you go in there, do a massive dump on the bar. That'll teach the f***er!!
  • Walked past it this morning and thought it looked pretty decent since the refurb.

Sounds like a right wanker, that guvnor, mind. I have no desire to go in there now.
  • Perhaps they had a bit of bother from the travelling community last week, and stereotyped you, partner and guy with own can as trouble, still bang out of order if he did (especially the racist part).
  • Apparently the new owner is a comedian maybe he just thought he was being funny.
  • Sounds delightful. Will have to check it out now.
  • So the moral of the story is I'm a pain after five pints....

Never mind mate...I'm sure the Cannon St Wetherspoons love you!! :wink:
  • Put a photo up, of you and your partner & we'll have a vote on it.

NB If someone is drinking cans, from the off licence, in my pub, I think I might get a bit annoyed.

• PL54 said:

Lol, Viewfinder you need to take a good look at yourself!!