Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Wright - Home Grown Player

Not sure if he has been awarded a new contract at Man City but anyone else think that he is only on their books to be included as a home grown player?

In the last five years he has played three games - two for Sheffield United and one for Ipswich - and not made a single appearance in the last three years. He is now 37 and has no chance whatsoever of playing professional football again in my opinion.

So are City flouting the rules? If so, is there anything that can be done to prevent this?

Clubs simply should not be allowed to sign players just because it suits their situation to do so. Oh dear. I've just realised something.........

Comments

• Is the same with an article which said... "Manchester City want to sign Fabien Delph to bring up their quota of Home Grown Players"

Okay so he isnt possibly being signed to play, instead he's being brought in to sit on the bench so that Man City can claim that they're sticking to the rules.

Is a joke how players are being used this way (I do believe that Joe Gomez is being signed for this very reason, this early in his career as well)... the rules either need to be changed so that there is a quota of home grown players that START the match each week (and it wouldnt be against EU regulations because Fabregas and Alex Song fall under this rule) or they need to scrap the rule altogether
  • But at least Delph is a current International and will play albeit possibly a minor role. Wright has probably not even trained in the last two years.
  • The home grown players should have to play in a % of games IMO, otherwise it's a pointless rule
  • Same with Rob Green

Expected the sign for Chelsea, is he ever gonna be first choice No
    But it helps with Chelsea home grown numbers
  • Same with Rob Green

He can be an exception... Might be easier beating QPR on the opening day if Rob Green isnt playing ;)
  • Don't see the problem.

It's the players agreeing to it ultimately - they have the power. If they're happy being a nothing player/person and just chasing the cash it's up to them.
  • Currently there are 8 slots within the 25 man squad that can only be filled with homegrown players.

Last season Man City had 6 homegrown players (so left 2 gaps) while Chelsea had just 3 homegrown players (leaving 5 gaps)

The FA had been planning to increase it to 12 homegrown players per 25 man squad. Not sure the big clubs would like that too much.
  • But at least Delph is a current International and will play albeit possibly a minor role. Wright has probably not even trained in the last two years.

I'm sure he'll have trained?

They need 3 keepers in case of injuries, is anyone decent going to want to be your 3rd choice and in all likelihood never play?

So someone experienced to help the young keepers a bit and English to help the home grown quota makes complete sense.

I'm sure he'll have trained?

They need 3 keepers in case of injuries, is anyone decent going to want to be your 3rd choice and in all likelihood never play?

So someone experienced to help the young keepers a bit and English to help the home grown quota makes complete sense.

In addition to Hart and Caballero, they have Ian Lawlor who is 20 and has been in the Irish squad. And should one of Hart or Caballero get injured City will simply either get in on loan someone or just get the cheque book out.

I repeat Wright has not played a competitive game for three years. He has zero chance of ever playing in their first team.
  • WSS said:

Don't see the problem.

It's the players agreeing to it ultimately - they have the power. If they're happy being a nothing player/person and just chasing the cash it's up to them.

Surely the rule is there to help England. Yes there can be "home grown" from other countries but, in most cases, they will be English. I will wager that Richard Wright will never play for England again ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:

The home grown players should have to play in a % of games IMO, otherwise it's a pointless rule

That would never be allowed by the clubs to come into affect. If it did it would be such a small % that the cup games would be used and maybe a few PL games at the end of a season when it won't matter.

The rule should be scrapped as soon as possible. I keep making this argument that it doesn't matter how many English players are in the PL or however many are at the top clubs. It's so much more important that they are of a high enough standard and are playing football.
  • Same with Rob Green

Disagree, Green is still a very decent keeper and made some outstanding saves last season. Also better then Schwarzer who was Chelsea no2 season before one just gone despite being even older then Green and not home grown.
  • any set of rules that have potential means for avoidance and exploitation will be exploited and avoided .. that's how some lawyers and accountants become millionaires and are never out of work
  • Of course he trains. Wasn't it done as a favour to Wright because he's friends with people high up at City? I'm sure that was the story when he first signed; he knew he'd never play, could just see his retirement.
  • Personally, I don't see problem. Wright is clearly happy to line his pockets and not play and City have a home grown player, so it's suits all parties. Fair play to both.
  • Same with Rob Green

Disagree, Green is still a very decent keeper and made some outstanding saves last season. Also better then Schwarzer who was Chelsea no2 season before one just gone despite being even older then Green and not home grown.
    I enormously disagree with Green being better than Schwarzer. The latter patrols his box and distributes the ball excellently. Green is a reasonable to decent shot stopper
  • I won't have a bad word said against Richard Wright.

He had a cracking game for us at Highbury a few years back.

My first ever away game not counting the Wembley final that was... horrid start as remember our goal getting peppered with shots and should have been 5 down within 15mins

Oh how I loved going into College that Monday and seeing one of my Arsenal mates... Cos of their start he felt that they deserved to win and that we didnt deserve it ourselves

A comment I've never forgotten
  • Retires after four years at Man City without making a single appearance. Surprised City didn't offer him another 20 year contract just to maintain their quota.
  • Sponsored links:

• One of my handful of Charlton youth team games was against Richard Wright. I remember John Cartwright saying "Wrights in goal for them" and our strikers all sighed saying things like "he's fucking brilliant".

One of the few games at that age when I finished and thought to myself "He's a better goalie than me"

We drew 2-2 that day I think.

He's a squillionnaire and I shuffle paper in Dartford....but do you reckon he's happy?
  • Swisdom said:

One of my handful of Charlton youth team games was against Richard Wright. I remember John Cartwright saying "Wrights in goal for them" and our strikers all sighed saying things like "he's fucking brilliant".

One of the few games at that age when I finished and thought to myself "He's a better goalie than me"

We drew 2-2 that day I think.

He's a squillionnaire and I shuffle paper in Dartford....but do you reckon he's happy?

Probably. Maybe Roland could persuade him to extend his career and bank balance as Nick Pope's back up