Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ireland v England - Sunday

13»

Comments

• edited June 2015

Whilst enjoying a day gardening my wife asked what time the game kicked off and I said 'really?' I mean who cares? I don't.

Don't lie you said ok dear we will go to your sisters
  • Whilst enjoying a day gardening my wife asked what time the game kicked off and I said 'really?' I mean who cares? I don't.

Don't lie you said ok dear we will go to your sisters. It's no big deal anyway as I'll check the score on charlton life and watch the highlights at 10.10 on ITV.
  • I've seen some pony 'modern' stadia but that takes the biscuit

Presumably they are waiting for Sepp to give them another €5m to finisih it
  • edited June 2015
    cafctom said:

Whilst enjoying a day gardening my wife asked what time the game kicked off and I said 'really?' I mean who cares? I don't.

Second time you've opened this thread to tell us that.

I think its a real shame that people can't get excited for a game like Ireland v England
    I agree but when they continually serve up turgid performances in these friendlies it's hardly a surprise people get a bit apathetic. Even the friendly against the auld enemy north of the border a few months ago was a bit tame. It seems even the Irish weren't too fussed.
  • Actually I thought the friendly against Scotland was pretty fiery compared to most England games - though the fact we got a result obviously helped.
  • Swerve said:

I've seen some pony 'modern' stadia but that takes the biscuit

Presumably they are waiting for Sepp to give them another €5m to finisih it

The problem is where it is - in one of the poshest parts of Dublin, so they couldn't get planning permission if they were blocking the light of the houses nearby. Hence the bedpan shape.

The Irish aren't fussed because they're crap at football and better at rugby now so they're more interested in that. If they ever start doing well at cricket or hockey or murderball they'll move on to that.
  • edited June 2015
    cafctom said:

Actually I thought the friendly against Scotland was pretty fiery compared to most England games - though the fact we got a result obviously helped.

Yeah but by the standards of games vs Scotland?

• cafctom said:

Actually I thought the friendly against Scotland was pretty fiery compared to most England games - though the fact we got a result obviously helped.

But then again can you name many national or club sides in Europe who have as strong an atmosphere as they would have done in the 80s and 90s?

Thats just the way football has gone - today was an example of that. To me, as a big England fan, I thought of it as a big deal in the build up because I know the history and I remember what happened at Lansdowne Road (even though I was only a kid at the time). These days fans with so much football at their finger tips just think "its just a friendly".
  • Saying it was a pointless game is just a cover up for a truly terrible England team. Every single one of those players would have tried their hardest, we just aren't very good.
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

But then again can you name many national or club sides in Europe who have as strong an atmosphere as they would have done in the 80s and 90s?

Thats just the way football has gone - today was an example of that. To me, as a big England fan, I thought of it as a big deal in the build up because I know the history and I remember what happened at Lansdowne Road (even though I was only a kid at the time). These days fans with so much football at their finger tips just think "its just a friendly".
    But that's also a reflection that the 2 countries have moved on, and after the Good Friday agreement and peace in N Ireland, neither set of fans sees the other country as some sort of enemy any more.

That most of the booing was by angry Irish Liverpool supporters towards Sterling shows current priorities!
  • Sponsored links: