Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Many moons ago before

Mc Donalds, Burger Kings, Pizza huts, Chinese and Indian restaurants sprouted onto the high streets, about the only place for miles around you could get grub once the pubs shut was a chippy come burger bar called The Jolly Friar in Bexleyheath.

Is it still there?

Comments

• If you are talking about the Crook Log end of Bexleyheath, then i think its yet another kebab shop now.

Used to be a newsagents called Poors next door to the Drayman, used to be run by two old dears, both looked about 90 for years. Now derelict.
  • Useless bit of info I know, but the first McDonalds in the country was the one in Woolwich.
  • edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Useless bit of info I know, but the first McDonalds in the country was the one in Woolwich.

Yup and i remember getting on the 161 bus from Chislehurst, with my brother to go there when it frst opened.

He's now vegi and i won't even take a McDump.
  • Len... sadly the jolly friar went a long time ago! god i used to love getting my Jolly box on the way home from the Drayman.

Jolly Box... how did i remember that?!
  • it was on the other side of the road wasn't it ? last shop of a parade ?
  • Yes thats the one. kebab shop now.
  • [cite]Posted By: stanmoreaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Useless bit of info I know, but the first McDonalds in the country was the one in Woolwich.

Yup and i remember getting on the 161 bus from Chislehurst, with my brother to go there when it frst opened.

He's now vegi and i won't even take a McDump.

And a mate from my school used to work there. I'd finish my stint in Sainsbury's and pop round for a burger. Trouble is though, coz Ash was a mate, he would fill the bag with a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Fillet of Fish and a Cheeseburger for the price of a burger. (Thinks - been overweight for years and I can't understand why....Hmmmn)
  • hope you binned the fillet of fish immediately !
  • edited November 2006
    god i loved that, my sister worked in the eltham one for a good few years. id go in there and ask for a big mac and fries... and id come out with two bags full. happy days.
  • I used to work at the Bexleyheath one , used to do 'sort outs' all the time , would have a queue at my till when the others were empty . Filled up a bag for my mum once and she bought it back saying I did nt order all this ... Mums eh .