Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Why's that unbelievable??
  • Wasn't it the E.ON FA Cup before? What's the difference?
  • Littlewoods, Axa, E-on.....
  • Budweiser
  • because they were The FA Cup sponsored by...... E.ON, Littlewoods or AXA

putting another names country on The English FA Cup just does not sit right with me
    I am sorry but it just does not
  • Those were all "in association with". This is actual name branding, so inevitably the kids will start calling it the Emirates Cup rather than the FA Cup (a bit like no-one calls the League Cup that any more).

I can see why purists will get upset, but seeing as we're in an age where even Charlton has about twenty sponsors plastered over our kits I think that horse bolted long ago.
  • The FA cup means bugger all to people now since the Semis went to Wembley and they changed the kick off time.
    The FA destroyed the latter stages of this competition years ago.
    Who gives a monkeys if they change the name?
  • I always called it the English FA Cup before :'(
  • Those were all "in association with". This is actual name branding, so inevitably the kids will start calling it the Emirates Cup rather than the FA Cup (a bit like no-one calls the League Cup that any more).

I can see why purists will get upset, but seeing as we're in an age where even Charlton has about twenty sponsors plastered over our kits I think that horse bolted long ago.

Personally I think it will still be called the FA Cup amongst the fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• It was definitely called "the FA Cup with Budweiser" for a while, which I thought was clever.
  • It's the Emirates FA Cup not the Emirates Cup.

It'll still be the FA Cup to everyone, just like the Premier League didn't become the Barclays League.
  • Semi Final to be played at The Emirates?
  • Leuth said:

I always called it the English FA Cup before :'(

How about all the welsh teams who play in it ?
  • Not by me it isn't!
  • The FA selling out again... Shock horror.
  • Don't really care. The only people who will use that name are the tv companies who will be contractually obliged to do so.
  • Will we be competing beyond round 3 whatever it's called? No, probably not so why worry?
  • The Emirates Cup is a pre-season one up the Arse, so the FA Cup will always stay the FA Cup in my eyes...
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not even sure who currently sponsors th League Cup
  • The Cup hasn't been the same since 1947. Move on.
  • I wonder which team won't start at the third round next year :smiley:
  • I always refer to it as the FA cup (for it is THE FA cup, not the English FA cup), and also the League Cup. I do call the Football League Trophy the JP Trophy though?
  • Algarve talks much sense.