Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leon Cole Signs

Me and @MA_Fox signing my contract for Charlton pic.twitter.com/LCP6o0FaGH

— Leon Cole (@leoncolesports) April 28, 2015

Not sure he passes the CL height test but figure he still has a few years of growing to do. Good Luck Leon

Comments

• Related to Andy or Joe? More info, please
  • An 8 year old with a Twitter account ? I only got one last year !!
  • Anyone not on twitter is gonna be whipped into a frenzy here...
  • My nephew also signed for Charlton U8's last night. Samuel Richardson - remember the name :smile:
  • Signing for U8's???

Absolutely mental.

It is strange isn't it, I hope these lads aren't put under too much pressure.
  • Signing for U8's???

Absolutely mental.

Actually his U8's now - actually signing for the U9's for next season.
  • My sons rolling 3 year contract is up in a few weeks so everyone is a bit on edge at the moment and are waiting for the post to arrive with good news!! The boys Alfie plays with are all top notch and are like a band of brothers (without the guns and grenades!) Most of them have been together from U7s and no each-other inside out! There is pressure what with training 3 times a week but the boys love Acadamy football COYR

Everything crossed for you & Alfie, Terry.

• se9addick said:

Signing for U8's???

Absolutely mental.

It is strange isn't it, I hope these lads aren't put under too much pressure.
    Seeing as he is an 8 year old with a twitter account, with sports on the end of it, i suspect he already is
  • Sponsored links:

• Is that a high chair he's sitting on
  • good luck mate
  • My sons rolling 3 year contract is up in a few weeks so everyone is a bit on edge at the moment and are waiting for the post to arrive with good news!! The boys Alfie plays with are all top notch and are like a band of brothers (without the guns and grenades!) Most of them have been together from U7s and no each-other inside out! There is pressure what with training 3 times a week but the boys love Acadamy football COYR

Good luck Alfie.

Always loved reading about his progress on here!
  • 1989cafc said:

Signing for U8's???

Absolutely mental.

I hope you don't think i'm digging anyone out, i just find any sort of contract for kids under the age of 14 completely mental.

• Once signed a club pretty much has you. From then on it is on their terms. Technically when you sign as a 7 or 8 year old (child and parent sign) they have you for as long as they want you. It is a business for the club who will generally demand compensation should you want to sign for another club. It is very one way as they can release you at any time. That said, once signed, Charlton will generally give a boy two years to develop before considering release. There is a lot of pressure, but the boys generally learn to deal with that.
    Alfie will be tested a bit more next season as representative football commences in the U11 season - real test of loyalties!!
  • Do they actually get money at that age
  • Agreed Doc next season the boys go from 7 a-side to 9 a-side far bigger pitches so lot more energy needed from the boys! Alfie can't wait to get down those wings! The past 3 years have flown by
  • Chelsea and Arsenal are the only ones really that pay.
  • DOC64 said:

Chelsea and Arsenal are the only ones really that pay.

How is that even legal?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes Kap 10 Alfie was with Arsenal before he signed for Charlton and quite a few times after he had signed I was asked by Arsenal if Alfie would sign for them and I was quoted that if Alfie did sign at U8 it would cost Arsenal 10k and at U9 20k and so on!!!!! Crazy
  • edited April 2015

1989cafc said:

Signing for U8's???

Absolutely mental.

I hope you don't think i'm digging anyone out, i just find any sort of contract for kids under the age of 14 completely mental.

Nah, I know your not. I'm with you, completely different to when I was a kid. 12 - 15 was when clubs would pick kids up from the local teams. My nephew is actually 7 not 8 until next week.

Also as I understand it, its all in favour of Charlton. They can let him go at anytime but he cannot go to another team for atleast another year. He has to leave his local team . However, they did say that he would probably be with them now until 12 when they are reassessed.
  • Kap10
    They cover it as expenses. Chelsea allegedly supply two parents of their u13's with club BMW's. They will also pay money for food (diet), phone and other expenses. All their boy's get 40p per mile for travelling and each boy gets £3 each time they turn up. They also get 6 items of Adidas footwear each year as part of their issued kit.
    5 of Arsenal's 13's are sponsered by either Adidas or Nike. Thay have a couple of boys who have been on £600 + per month since they were 8.
    Yes, the world has gone mad!!
  • find that so sad. alsolong term think that attitude wise that is more likely to hinder a kids likely progress than help it
  • That's why they are better off at somewhere like Charlton!!
  • Kermorgants replacement?
  • Given how much these kids are getting paid I'm thinking of starting up a company which puts retired players out to stud.

Brb, off to dragons den.
  • Maybe we should have a caption competition for this picture. I can't think of anything at the moment but the great and good on here will.
  • DOC64 said:

Kap10
    They cover it as expenses. Chelsea allegedly supply two parents of their u13's with club BMW's. They will also pay money for food (diet), phone and other expenses. All their boy's get 40p per mile for travelling and each boy gets £3 each time they turn up. They also get 6 items of Adidas footwear each year as part of their issued kit.
    5 of Arsenal's 13's are sponsered by either Adidas or Nike. Thay have a couple of boys who have been on £600 + per month since they were 8.
    Yes, the world has gone mad!!

This is exactly the madness of The Premier League. Far to much money being paid to the clubs to squander on nonsense like this when at the same time whole clubs further down the food chain are struggling to survive.

I've told Sky to do one as far as Sky Sports are concerned and I've told them exactly why.