Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Baltimore riots

Starting to kick off big time out there.
That place has the potential to make the London riots look like a teddy bears picnic.

Comments

• The Baseball game due to be played there tonight has been delayed because of it.
  • Just got in touch with my former classmate and friend who works in Baltimore. She said it is okay in downtown. It's mainly the north-west area of the city, where most black people live, that is dangerous and chaotic at the moment.
  • "Baltimore Riots"???

I sense that anyone in such an oppressed climate and environment, would more appropriately describe this, and many other similar situations as an uprising, (understandable and legitimate), rather than using the pejorative term, "riot".
  • ilovelucy said:

"Baltimore Riots"???

I sense that anyone in such an oppressed climate and environment, would more appropriately describe this, and many other similar situations as an uprising, (understandable and legitimate), rather than using the pejorative term, "riot".

More importantly how is it that Simon Francis can be so poor for us and yet do so well at Bournemouth?
  • An uprising ? Oppressed ? Hardly North Korea is it.
  • Interesting to see some holding placards declaring REINSTATE THE WEST STAND 50

that made me chuckle
  • ValleyGary has called this right

There are way and means of making a noise and this is not that. In fact it has been gratuitous theft, violence against police and vandalism. Like the London riots
  • Sponsored links:

• Mate its called global trading and enterprise I am cleaning up selling petrol bombs on line and then tendering for the clean up operation
  • If only carcetti would've let Daniels do real police work.
  • If only carcetti would've let Daniels do real police work.

McNulty getting sent to the docks didn't help.
  • Omar's comin!!
  • Jobless chavs on the take again
  • There are two points I don't understand..........

1) Why the Police men in question have not been arrested? How can there be so many high profile cases of young black men being killed by Police either in Custody or in the street?
    2) Why the young black community seem to think it's acceptable to riot and use this as an excuse? It doesn't help the cause, it makes tensions worse within the community and the media will have a field day with it.
  • ilovelucy said:

"Baltimore Riots"???

Nothing like a bit of looting to help the uprising.
  • There are two points I don't understand..........

1) Why the Police men in question have not been arrested?

2) How can there be so many high profile cases of young black men being killed by Police either in Custody or in the street?

2 3) Why the young black community seem to think it's acceptable to riot and use this as an excuse? It doesn't help the cause, it makes tensions worse within the community and the media will have a field day with it.

that's 3 points...
  • i have never understood riots.
    People claim that they riot because of poor living conditions mainly, yet the first thing they do is smash up the place. A good example was in Woolwich. One of the first things they did was burn down the only decent pub in the town after moaning the town was a dump, thus making it worse. They loot all the local shops, which many are localy owned, so a lot wont return or reopen, making the town or city worse.
    I just cant get my head around riots!
  • Sponsored links:

• Hard to imagine how burning down a Senior Center under construction, looting malls and shops, and destroying peoples cars helps their cause.
  • Dazzler21 said:

There are two points I don't understand..........

2) How can there be so many high profile cases of young black men being killed by Police either in Custody or in the street?

2 3) Why the young black community seem to think it's acceptable to riot and use this as an excuse? It doesn't help the cause, it makes tensions worse within the community and the media will have a field day with it.

that's 3 points...
    That's all you got from that?
  • Dazzler21 said:

that's 3 points...
    1. Investigation is ongoing, arrests are expected locally.

2. Considering the number of arrests, there are very few incidents of injury caused by the police.

3. Because they don't think.
  • edited April 2015
    limeygent said:

Hard to imagine how burning down a Senior Center under construction, looting malls and shops, and destroying peoples cars helps their cause.

Cause their cause is getting free stuff.

It's never been the same since Omar moved to Community to be a teacher.
  • ilovelucy said:

"Baltimore Riots"???

What a load of rubbish.
  • Dazzler21 said:

that's 3 points...
    That's all you got from that?
    Yeah I can't really weigh in on this subject stating 'those police officers should be arrested' as I was not there to witness what occurred and I don't know what the reason for the riots is?

As it appears a man hurt his back trying to escape police, gets caught, gets put in a cell, dies the next day. The only thing that appears to have not happened is a medic called to check over Freddie Gray when he complained of his injuries.

The riots however appear to not be because people are dying in police custody...

If it was the rioters wouldn't have burnt down a church or stolen from stores causing unacceptable damage and cost to the U.S taxpayers as they go.

• An uprising ? Oppressed ? Hardly North Korea is it.

its not far off these days over there
  • SEFREE said:

An uprising ? Oppressed ? Hardly North Korea is it.

its not far off these days over there

From cbslocal.com

WASHINGTON — In response to Twitter chatter concerning Saturday’s protests in Baltimore, which shut down traffic in some areas of the city and forced some fans to stay inside Oriole Park for their safety even after the baseball game was over, Orioles Executive Vice President John Angelos, son of majority owner Peter Angelos, had this to say on his Twitter account:

(Tweets have been edited together for cohesion)

“Brett, speaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela, and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, an ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importance of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ball game irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is inflicting upon ordinary Americans.”

Steve Davis, of WNEW’s sister station 105.7 The Fan, reports that individuals who had tickets to Saturday’s game will be allowed to exchange them for a future game.

Saturday’s protests stemmed from the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old Baltimore man who sustained a severe spinal cord injury while in police custody earlier this month and died as a result of that injury on April 19, one week after his arrest.

• There was nothing wrong with the legal protests in the streets, and nobody has said there was. The rioters couldn't care less about Freddie Gray.