Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Some Charlton Rumours..

edited November 2006 in Rumours
Here are some 'classics' from good old reliable football rumours.com

Any of them true I wonder??

Manchester United are ready to sign Charlton Athletic striker Darren Bent on a three year deal for £10,200,000 rising to £12,400,000 with International Appearences. If Charlton stay up Manchester will have to pay Charlton an extra £275,000. Charlton have been in talks with Manchester representives over the last 8 days, the deal will not be concluded until 3rd January 2007. AGH

The following players are under the watchful eye of Les Reed at Charlton:

David Beckham
Uma Dempsey (american winger)
Christiano Bolanos
James Beatie
Freddy Eastwood
and 2 of Koreas national players whos names im afraid I can't remeber

And rumour has it that Inter Milan, Pompey and Hamburg are all after Darren Bent. .willing to pay as much as 13 million!

You may recall I posted over the summer about the early problems with Dowie at Charlton over his treatment of the senior players, particularly the foreign players. As I previously said, I work with the father of one of Charlton's senior players who told me that things started badly. I was worried and he has been proved right.
I asked if he knew anything about the departure of Dowie and the future for the team and he told me a few things. Firstly, Les Reed was not instrumental in ID's sacking. He agreed with the move but the biggest problem was with the players. When the review was carried out after the initial poor results, all but 5 players said that they had no faith in Dowie's methods and they found him arrogant and unhelpful. ID and Mark Robson were also poles apart in their methods. Dowie has had a very hard time accepting this and the CAFC board were concerned at what he would do at one stage. He was apparently quite agressive at times.
As for the future, Reed will be given unti February to turn the club's fortunes around. The players are happier but many feel the damage has been done - there is a bit of a split in the camp to some degree and there may be a lot of movement in January.
The really bad news is that Darren Bent is going. There have been tentative enquiries from Man U and Liverpool - unless we are clear of the relegation zone at the end of January, the club won't be able to afford to turn down a good bid (in the region of £12million)
I have to guys, things aren't looking good right now.

Comments

• The Times yesterday had us linked with some Cypriot Striker playing for Olympiacos
  • Okkas?

We had him on trial for 2 weeks but didn't take him and now loads of teams are after him!
  • We've debated the Darren Bent situation for long enough - if he goes then as long as the money is right and we get in two strikers plus a midfielder then I'd be satisfied, although the asking price is a little low if that figure is correct.

Not sure that we can sign Bolanos for another year- he was refused a work permit, there have been noises about getting him to sign for the feeder club Germinal Beershot but that has been a bit quiet.

Beckham...I can't see it, he'll be off to America, he'll make more money there.

Uma Dempsey ? I think you mean Clint Dempsey, his current contract with the Major League Soccer expires at the end of the next season and then he'll become a free agent, plus we've been linked with him before, so there could be some mileage in it.
  • let's say, hypothetically, that we sold Dazza to ManU - why on earth would they pay us more if avoided relegation?!
  • edited November 2006
    Posted By: tom_cafc

I have to guys, things aren't looking good right now.

This much I've noticed!!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]let's say, hypothetically, that we sold Dazza to ManU - why on earth would they pay us more if avoided relegation?!

He'd be a bigger loss if we stay up.
  • [cite]Posted By: tom_cafc[/cite]You may recall I posted over the summer about the early problems with Dowie at Charlton over his treatment of the senior players, particularly the foreign players. As I previously said, I work with the father of one of Charlton's senior players who told me that things started badly. I was worried and he has been proved right.
    I asked if he knew anything about the departure of Dowie and the future for the team and he told me a few things. Firstly, Les Reed was not instrumental in ID's sacking. He agreed with the move but the biggest problem was with the players. When the review was carried out after the initial poor results, all but 5 players said that they had no faith in Dowie's methods and they found him arrogant and unhelpful. ID and Mark Robson were also poles apart in their methods. Dowie has had a very hard time accepting this and the CAFC board were concerned at what he would do at one stage. He was apparently quite agressive at times.
    As for the future, Reed will be given unti February to turn the club's fortunes around. The players are happier but many feel the damage has been done - there is a bit of a split in the camp to some degree and there may be a lot of movement in January..

I'm sure the rest is rubbish, but wouldn't be suprised if this wasn't too far from the truth.
  • I did here that darren bent was off in january as well along with herman and dennis, but of course like any rumour we can't be sure until January
  • Well, we heard his was going last Summer FACT, LOCKED, ON DEFO.

Best bit is the £10,200,000 rising to £12,400,000 as if not using a round £10m or £12m makes it FACT
  • "When the review was carried out after the initial poor results, all but 5 players said that they had no faith in Dowie's methods and they found him arrogant and unhelpful. ID and Mark Robson were also poles apart in their methods."

poles apart from what luke said the other week then, he said he wasnt consulted and if he had he would have said he was happy... or something like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• agreed, that part is definate rubbish.
  • Manchester United are ready to sign Charlton Athletic striker Darren Bent on a three year deal for £10,200,000 rising to £12,400,000 with International Appearences. If Charlton stay up Manchester will have to pay Charlton an extra £275,000. Charlton have been in talks with Manchester representives over the last 8 days, the deal will not be concluded until 3rd January 2007. AGH

TBH if I was on the Charlton board and a offer for Darren like this came in January and Charlton was still in the bottom three i would accept the money.His value would go down if the club gets relegated in may.
  • The Luke Young story can be taken in two ways:
    1) Why wasn't the club captain consulted or
    2) It was pure spin and the senior players from the Curbs era were unhappy

AFKA's comments make sense to me since Dowie changed half a team which were not too bad. Many have commented on the state of the overall squad left by Curbs but we were able to let go 8 or 9 players who were nowhere near the first team (apart from Powell and Perry)

Individually the signings were not bad in the summer But Dowie was trying to play 5 or 6 straight away and going on about mgt theory. Instead of sorting the midfield which is finally starting to be the same faces week in week out.

Where I disagree is that I don't think "the damage is done" we are only 4 points from safety and a couple of wins will see us through.