Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Google Chrome user looking to migrate to a different browser...

Have been using Chrome for a few years but now I've run into a problem.

I'm not into all the technological workings, I just know that Google have now pulled support on certain plug-ins which is having a detrimental effect on Java and Silverlight among others. Some of my more popular websites (eg SkyGo) are no longer supported.

For that reason I'm looking for a new browser. What's the best alternative?

Comments

• firefox definitely, I did the same thing
  • Firefox
  • Not worth considering Opera or Safari in 2015?
  • they are pushing internet explorer anyone know why
  • they are pushing internet explorer anyone know why

I use it as default on my desktop but tend to move to Chrome when I listen to cafcplayer. Lots of people slag off IE but generally works for me.

However I use safari on my laptop which is good.
  • edited April 2015
    Use IE myself mainly because I can't be bothered changing it. Though speaking of chrome I used to use it for mobile Android, until they strangely moved the refresh button to the menu.
  • Opera is supposed to be the best just not all that user friendly from what I've been told by my computer geek housemate! Chrome is the best balance but if your having troubles with that then Firefox probably!
  • Firefox is my standard although it does screw up periodically and I re-install 2 to 3 times a year. I like Chrome because I am now working in the cloud and it is pretty good for this.
  • Another vote for Firefox.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

they are pushing internet explorer anyone know why

I use it as default on my desktop but tend to move to Chrome when I listen to cafcplayer. Lots of people slag off IE but generally works for me.

You use safari on a windows machine? It hasn't been updated for years and is laughably vulnerable to viruses
  • Firefox is my standard although it does screw up periodically and I re-install 2 to 3 times a year. I like Chrome because I am now working in the cloud and it is pretty good for this.

I have a Mac but have no idea what this means!

• I would also strongly recommend Firefox if I weren't having this extremely annoying 'plugin container for firefox has stopped working' problem for the last few months which forces me to close the browser almost every half hour....
  • stonemuse said:

they are pushing internet explorer anyone know why

You use safari on a windows machine? It hasn't been updated for years and is laughably vulnerable to viruses
    Safari on my macbook
  • Netscape for me. Runs my Lotus 1-2-3 program great.
  • Have been using Chrome for a few years but now I've run into a problem.

I'm not into all the technological workings, I just know that Google have now pulled support on certain plug-ins which is having a detrimental effect on Java and Silverlight among others. Some of my more popular websites (eg SkyGo) are no longer supported.

Out of interest Callum, Chrome doesnt appear to use Release numbers like IE, - i run SKygo without any problem, so i'm wondering if its a problem i'm going to encounter in the future , as i always use Chrome.
  • Have been using Chrome for a few years but now I've run into a problem.

Out of interest Callum, Chrome doesnt appear to use Release numbers like IE, - i run SKygo without any problem, so i'm wondering if its a problem i'm going to encounter in the future , as i always use Chrome.
    It just automatically updates doesn't it? Mine says it's application number 42.0.2311.108

Anyway another vote for Firefox as an alternative. I've got it loaded and use it as an alternative whenever chrome is acting up. There also seem to be some https sites that don't like chrome.
  • I've never had any problems with Safari, it also doesn't try and foist a load of add ons at you.
  • Just do what people in the IT world do. Use Chrome for everything that works in it. For everything that doesn't, use Firefox. For everything that requires you to use IE... Use that.
  • Just do what people in the IT world do. Use Chrome for everything that works in it. For everything that doesn't, use Firefox. For everything that requires you to use IE... Use that.

Or find an alternative to what is trying to force you to use IE!!

• Sponsored links:

• What is wrong with IE out of interest? As I said I use it and it seems to do its job.
  • Firefox for me........

• Talal said:

What is wrong with IE out of interest? As I said I use it and it seems to do its job.

It's much slower.
  • Use Firefox within TOR.
  • Chrome for everything. Safari for Sky Go. Firefox has done some weird things to my computers in the past. I don't trust it anymore.