Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cheryl's Birthday (puzzle)

The BBC link below includes the answer and a video explanation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32297367

Comments

• June 18th?
  • p.s I haven't read the article so that's probably wrong!
  • Took me a bit but got there
  • edited April 2015
    I think it's June 17th

Albert gets told "17th", Bernard get told "June".

Its the only month with 2 options of which only 1 other date is used in another month
  • edited April 2015
    Having checked the answer yesterday: both wrong @Dazzler21 & @Addicted
  • edited April 2015
    WAIT
    Albert - Month, Bernard - Day

If Bernie was told the date was 14, he wouldn't have the answer off the back of what Al said.
    It occurred twice in two different months.

If he was told that the date was 15 or 17, he would still not have the answer because it can be either of those.

It's definitely not the 18th or 19th as there is only one option for each of those so if Al says Bernie doesn't know neither can he at this stage.

This leaves the 16th which occurs in May and July

This leaves July really or Bernie still wouldn't know so 16th July?
  • Ben18 said:

Cheryl sounds like a bit of a tease

She damn sure isn't getting a birthday card from me!

• I found this very familiar and thought I must have seen it somewhere before. Seeing as it was from a test taken place in Singapore, I think it actually could be copied from Chinese test papers. Nowadays the students here have to face many puzzles of this kind, along with many other ridiculous but useless ones. It's indeed become way too much for them.
  • I can't be bothered to watch the video but it sounds tricky.....
  • Sponsored links:

• If your birthday is on Feb 14th, the postman probably thinks you are a bit of a tart.

May 19th.
    Probably
  • I'm more worried about the English skills of the person who wrote the question than the maths ability of the children answering it !
  • Addicted said:

I think it's June 17th

Its the only month with 2 options of which only 1 other date is used in another month

I was working on the same plan.......but
    This is also true for May 19th though ?
  • I thought June 17th for the same reason as Addicted. I'll have to look at it again. I think that was because I presumed that Albert was looking at dates. Now if Albert is looking at Months I'm confused.
  • Addicted said:

I think it's June 17th

Albert is told the month, Bernard is told the date.
  • edited April 2015
    it's a mindfu**
  • Dazzler you got it.
  • May 19th surely.

Though its actually June 30th
  • I got this too, fwiw #braggin
  • Sponsored links:

• What I've learned from this is that sometimes when you think you know something it's best to stay quiet just in case you're an idiot.
  • I often find that this is a perfect example of why I shouldn't answer things like this
    Addicted said:

What I've learned from this is that sometimes when you think you know something it's best to stay quiet just in case you're an idiot.

• edited April 2015

Dazzler you read the article and watched the video explanation

• A lot of people being very dismissive of basic logic here
  • Leuth said:

A lot of people being very dismissive of basic logic here

Absolutely.

How big are Cheryls tits???
  • This is how I deduced it:
    Albert's first statement tells us he must have been told July or August, because if he knows Bernard doesn't know, then he knows Bernard hasn't been told the 18th or 19th. He can't know this if he was told May or June.
    As Bernard now knows due to knowing Albert was told July or August, he can't have been told 14th because then he still wouldn't know.
    As Albert now knows this, he knows Bernard must have been told 15th 16th or 17th, but if this is enough information for Albert to know the answer, it must be the July date, otherwise he still wouldn't know as there are two possible August answers.
    Therefore, 16th July.
    :smile:
  • This is how I deduced it:
    Albert's first statement tells us he must have been told July or August, because if he knows Bernard doesn't know, then he knows Bernard hasn't been told the 18th or 19th. He can't know this if he was told May or June.
    As Bernard now knows due to knowing Albert was told July or August, he can't have been told 14th because then he still wouldn't know.
    As Albert now knows this, he knows Bernard must have been told 15th 16th or 17th, but if this is enough information for Albert to know the answer, it must be the July date, otherwise he still wouldn't know as there are two possible August answers.
    Therefore, 16th July.

You've watched it too?
  • PL54 said:

This is how I deduced it:
    Therefore, 16th July.

You've watched it too?
    No. I'm just really clever. :smile:
  • Not as clever as that bloke that used to do those E numbers to tell us how far off promotion or relegation we were ...
  • Is it Cheryl Cole or Cheryl off eastenders?