Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Earth Moved in Norfolk

edited February 2008 in Not Sports Related
It's 1.00am and we've just had an earthquake. One short shock and then a few minutes later one that lasted 30 seconds. Bloody disconcerting.

Comments

• Bing. Have you been at the grape juice again?
  • No - hick! I'm sure it wont make many headlines but it definitely was one. The house and our bed was visibly rocking and not a hallucinatory drug between us.
  • edited February 2008
    It moved in New Eltham too!!! I swear I felt something.
  • was very shaky in Sheffield, really almost fell over, this is supposed to be the safe UK!
  • edited February 2008
    also shaking in sheffield - moments after a gust of wind. thought it to be too strong for the wind. Sheffield forum has much about this quake.
  • The BBC news website ticker is mentioning a tremor in the West Mids.
  • According to BBC, reports of a tremor in West Midlands, so it must have been quite a big one to have covered that sort of area.
  • the entire house shook and rumbled (it's a knackered old sh*thole) but it shouldn't be doing that!

lasted for 30 secs or so fairly strong and then about ten seconds really lightly after another minute or so... felt as far as Canterbury to Hull supposedly
  • edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]According to BBC, reports of a tremor in West Midlands, so it must have been quite a big one to have covered that sort of area.

I remember the dudley one in 2002 which was also felt in sheffield - 4.8 magnitude. have been on the phone and email to the british geological survey for further info.
  • Could it be that the earth moved in recognition of Corey Gibbs lasting 90 minutes? ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]the entire house shook and rumbled (it's a knackered old sh*thole) but it shouldn't be doing that!

lasted for 30 secs or so fairly strong and then about ten seconds really lightly after another minute or so... felt as far as Canterbury to Hull supposedly

Reports of it being felt in manchester and oxford.
  • knocked me keithie peacock autobiography over - bloody cheek!
  • edited February 2008
    Appears to be 5.3 on the Richter scale centered on Lincolnshire.
  • woke me up around 1, was falling asleep nicely
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]Appears to be 5.3 on the Richter scale centered on Lincoln.

Quite a bit bigger than the one in Dudley then. No wonder we felt it quite strongly here in Norwich.
  • BBC now quoting US Geographical Survey as 4.7 and centred on Kingston Upon Hull.
  • edited February 2008
  • according to the US Geological Survey it was 4.7 but still it was certainly a bit more than a little tremor, especially for us non-veterans over here!

Would make sense for Lincoln area seeing as the majority of reports are stemming from Norfolk/West Mids/Yorks and that would be pretty central to those places
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]BBC now quoting US Geographical Survey as 4.7 and centred on Kingston Upon Hull.

John Prescott has opened his mouth ...
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]BBC now quoting US Geographical Survey as 4.7 and centred on Kingston Upon Hull.

John Prescott has opened his mouth ...

Lol

US Geological Society Link Link
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2008
    The earth moved for Mrs McMoist last night ;o )
  • Eathquake was quite bad apparently , it caused 100 grand's worth of improvements in New Cross
  • perhaps it was cause cory made a return
  • My desk at work is covered in dust. Night shift said they felt it... up here on the 29th floor. Feck that, I'd have been down the stairs and out of here!
  • I've been in a couple of earthquakes - the last was the night before we beat Palace in the Prem.

Possibly this could be a good omen Bing.
  • I'll have to apologise to the wife now, this woke me up, I assumed she had just farted - guess i'll be cooking my own dinner tonight.
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]I'll have to apologise to the wife now, this woke me up, I assumed she had just farted - guess i'll be cooking my own dinner tonight.

Well the first shock was short and sweet my wifes legs appeared to shake as did the bed, I though for a second that I was dreaming and my luck had changed...:-) A few seconds later came the main shock which lasted for about 30 seconds which is longer than I normally can, and I then knew it wasn't a dream....:-(
  • You should last all night at your age, Bing ....... ;o)
  • Woke up at 1am...felt like I was in that bed moving scene in the Exorcist.....funny old building Im in...no foundations and built on oak poles in 1600 and Im effectively up in what was the loft...was a really weird sensation....usually a bomb going off wouldnt wake me...
  • edited February 2008
    Have a look at this link to the BBC website.

Insurance job?

What's the betting the fella's house in the picture looked like that anyway?