Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Seen any good (or bad) films lately?

An attempt to change the subject to help the non-moaners, and topical given the Oscars and the Glasgow Film Festival..

Sweeney Todd - really enjoyed it, but then anything with Johnny Depp in it is good enough for me
Cassandra's Dream - despite a strong cast including Ewan Macgregor and Colin Farrell, it was awful.
Lars and the Real Girl - excellent, gentle comedy in Fargo-esque style. Got a round of applause at the end.
La Vie en Rose - superb stuff and well deserved Oscar for Marian Cotillard.

Comments

• Good Country for Old Men - Nicely Shot, good script and good locations but not in any way amazing. 7/10
    Juno - Cute film with a good soundtrack and a good leading performance that won the oscar but again not amazing 7/10
  • Went to see 'There Will Be Blood' last week and have to say it was one of the most 'difficult' films I have ever seen. Acting was great, looked brilliant and I loved the oppressive music, but the subject was so, I don't know, miserable/deranged/down right nasty that I came out of the cinema feeling as though I had been beaten up...Mrs CC (who knows a fair bit about these things) hated it from the off and wanted to leave the cinema after ten minutes, but I made her stay and so am still just about in the bad books for 'ruining a rare night out' (our 3 year old was staying with grandparents)....definitely not a date movie.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Went to see Blackpool vs. Charlton last week and have to say it was one of the most 'difficult' games I have ever seen. Ground was great, looked brilliant and I loved the oppressive fans, but the result was so, I don't know, miserable/deranged/down right nasty that I came out of the ground feeling as though I had been beaten up...Mrs CC (who knows a fair bit about these things) hated it from the off and wanted to leave the ground after ten minutes, but I made her stay and so am still just about in the bad books for 'ruining a rare night out' (our 3 year old was staying with grandparents)....definitely not a date game.
    ;-)
  • Very, very good.... :-)
  • No Country for Old Men.....slightly odd, but reasonably enjoyable if not a bit disjointed at times....6/10

Atonement. Real continuity problems with this film, flitted about too much and was overall disappointing 5/10...couldnt fault the acting though.
  • Not really a Beatles fan but i enjoyed 'Across the Universe', good date movie.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Went to see 'There Will Be Blood' last week and have to say it was one of the most 'difficult' films I have ever seen. Acting was great, looked brilliant and I loved the oppressive music, but the subject was so, I don't know, miserable/deranged/down right nasty that I came out of the cinema feeling as though I had been beaten up...Mrs CC (who knows a fair bit about these things) hated it from the off and wanted to leave the cinema after ten minutes, but I made her stay and so am still just about in the bad books for 'ruining a rare night out' (our 3 year old was staying with grandparents)....definitely not a date movie.

Blimey, I went last week as well and loved it. I was laughing all the way through. When he shot his "brother" was quality
  • I thought the new Rambo film was excellent, best action movie i have seen for some time...and not as corny as the old Rambo films.
  • We don't have a cinema here yet, nearest one is in the next town along. All my recent movies have been DVD's

Zodiac - about the San Francisco murderer in the 60's - quality film although a bit confusing to follow all the twists & turns
    Jesse James Assassination/Robert Ford - all filmed on location in & around where I live, loved that part, but only so-so in terms of the film - Brad Pitt was unconvincing as Jesse James
    Eagle vs Shark - a New Zealand version of Napoleon Dynamite - ok-ish
    King of Kong - a documentary film about the battle to set the world record for Donkey Kong, very geekish - thought it was made up but scarily the characters are real

Want to see Control, No Country, There Will be Oil.............
  • not that recent however took nth london jr to Golden Compass and was very impressed with the fight scenes especially with the polar bears
  • Sponsored links:

• PARDEW OUT!

(just kidding!)

Saw a really cack film on the telly a week or two back. Was about two divers getting left behind by their boat in shark infested waters. Absolute garbage!!! Oh yeah, and there was a Stephen Segal film on Ch 5 last week where he was in nick and even though all of the other cons where wearing vests and sweating, he wore a big leather jacket the whole time (presumably to hide the flab!). Mind you ..... if it had Stephen Segal in it it must be sh*te!!!
  • Went to see Jumper last week, Plenty of action, but not enough story for me. Would have been better if they expanded the characters a bit more, but it was so short there was little time to build up any sympathy for them.
  • I too enjoyed Sweeney Todd. Very original.

Got told for laughing out loud when the throats were being slit though.
  • We went to see it at one of the main cinemas in Glasgow city centre. Think most of the audience were expecting a real horror film rather than an adaptation of a musical! Apparently there's been a bit of a hoo-ha about the fact that the trailer gave more of that impression...
  • Took about 15 minutes to get into the musical thing with Sweeney Todd, but once I got the hang of it I loved it. Don't have much choice really as Mrs Algarve loves Tim Burton films, and of course Mr. Depp...
  • Went to see The Bank Job on Saturday evening and really enjoyed it. Jason Statham (of Lock Stock fame) is the main man and it's based on a true story.
    Many familiar faces in the cast.

http://www.411mania.com/movies/film_reviews/70622
  • [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite] Atonement. Real continuity problems with this film, flitted about too much and was overall disappointing 5/10...couldnt fault the acting though.

Thought it was excellent - does flit about a bit but don't actually see how that detracted from the film-

Thanks for the tips re " there will be blood" and No country for old men".

Now at the top of my Amazon rental list
  • I really liked 'There Will be Blood', but it was difficult. Music and atmosphere was great tho, really menacing and what a performance by the bloke playing the preacher.
  • Saw Rambo on Friday night, shocking, absolutely awful.
  • I went to see Sex and the City last night... laughed and cried my heart out in many parts... and i tell you what, some of the blokes in the audience laughed louder than a lot of women. Tho wasnt sure if they were gay or not.

Ah two and a bit hours of nostalgia.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I went to see Sex and the City last night... laughed and cried my heart out in many parts... and i tell you what, some of the blokes in the audience laughed louder than a lot of women. Tho wasnt sure if they were gay or not.

Ah two and a bit hours of nostalgia.

I hope Tavern stayed at home....;-)
  • Tavern is in touch with his fem side mate, and the odd head lock keeps him in touch with it !!
  • He didnt get invited. He might have blushed at some of the scenes.
  • B i dont know what is worse for his street cred going to the film or the fact u have just told the World he blushes at some ofthe scenes (or might have).

Theres a do on at the Con club for Duncans grad daughters 18th. If your going whisper me or Da9.
  • edited June 2008
    --
  • Watched a good one on Sat night on Sky Box Office called Captured (Or something like that - can't remember off the top of my head) Great twist to it!
  • Poor bloke, but I did say he did not get invited to the ... i went with girlfriends.

tho i believe all men should go and see it.
  • Saw Iron Man last week - really enjoyed it.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I went to see Sex and the City last night... laughed and cried my heart out in many parts... and i tell you what, some of the blokes in the audience laughed louder than a lot of women. Tho wasnt sure if they were gay or not.

Ah two and a bit hours of nostalgia.[/quote]

I cried too at SATC it was fab and i was not disappointed. We see on average 2 films a week!!
  • Semi-Pro was a lot better than i thought it would be.