Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 22nd February 1997. Charlton Athletic 4 Norwich City 4

22nd February 1997 The Valley. Att 12,417

Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Kinsella 31, Robson 36, Lee 87, Leaburn 88) Norwich City 4 (2) (Adams 29 64 (pen), Eadie 45 84)

Charlton: Petterson, Brown, Barness, K Jones, Balmer, Chapple, Robson (Newton 72), Lee (Poole 89), Robinson, S Jones (Leaburn 72), Kinsella.

Norwich: Gunn Newman (Bradshaw 37), Sutch, Eadie, Mills, Rocastle, Adams, Crook, Ottosson, Johnson, Milligan. Unused subs: Forbes, Rush.

Red card: Balmer was shown a red card in the 28th minute for tripping Darren Eadie. Norwich scored from the resulting free kick.

Now lets see how many will own up to leaving before the late show?

Comments

• CHGCHG
    edited February 2015
    Those were the days I used to stay to the end without fail, loved this match.
  • Cracking game. Kinsella was absolute class that dat.
  • I left with a mate at 2.4 and we were walking up to The Valley pub and we heard 2 roars and knew we had comeback. Got to the pub and it was confirmed on final score. Gutted we missed it but glad we had got a point.
  • stayed 'til the end - what a finish
  • My dad wanted to leave when Norwich went 4-2 up but I made him stay. Great comeback with ten men!
  • Got home a couple of hours later and the family hadn't bothered to check Ceefax again after we went 4-2 down. They couldn't believe we'd clawed it back to 4-4 with 10 minute with 5 minutes remaining.
  • I can still see it now - the ball flashing across and Leaburn putting his nut on it....pick that out.

He had his critics Carlo, but when he got his weight behind the ball like that day there was no stoppping it.
  • Wasn't it it two great free kicks from Kinsella and Robbo the first? One round either side of the wall? Great game that, great game and some quality players / characters in the side. Happy days despite the mediocrity of that season (Curbs out / We want David whyte chants in loss at home to newly promoted Bradford?
  • I can't believe how long ago this game was! I just remember a loud rendition of
    "We only had ten men, we only had ten men" at the end.
  • Took a load up from my local, 5 of them must have been impressed as they are season ticket holders, and have been for a while.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Ahh King Carl and Jason Lee finishing the game up front, have we ever had a taller striking duo? On another note if my memory serves me correctly didn't Jason Lee make his first debut in our 1990 relegation season, in that awful away defeat to Palace in the ZDS Cup? I think we ended up with half of the youth team playing and Johhny H ended up at centre half - a truly dreadful evening.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406272782

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • I'm pretty sure I left with hundreds of others when Norwich scored their fourth. I may have even still been in the ground when we got one back.
  • My dad led me out at 4-2 and we ran in from the concourse when Jason Lee scored. I learned a valuable lesson that day.
  • I stayed to the end, went mad when the equaliser went in.

When we got to the station after the game and old boy (who left early) said he didn't care that he missed the two late goals 'because we didn't deserve anything from the game'.
  • One of the most memorable CAFC games for me.

Covered end block F, I was 16. The roof really did come off when that fourth goal went in.

What a game
  • My first ever Charlton game. Stayed to the end and loved every second of it. Still sit in the same seat today.
  • Had it on my toes at 4-2. Was in the Oak by the time it was 4-4. Missed our second goal because I desperately needed to empty my bladder. Not my best day.
  • I stayed to the end, went mad when the equaliser went in.

When we got to the station after the game and old boy (who left early) said he didn't care that he missed the two late goals 'because we didn't deserve anything from the game'.

Haha, that is exactly the kind of thing my old man would do. I remember us beating Stoke I think with two last minute goals and he didn't cheer. Just sat there with his hands in his pockets saying he wouldn't cheer because we didn't deserve it.
  • Ahh King Carl and Jason Lee finishing the game up front, have we ever had a taller striking duo? On another note if my memory serves me correctly didn't Jason Lee make his first debut in our 1990 relegation season, in that awful away defeat to Palace in the ZDS Cup? I think we ended up with half of the youth team playing and Johhny H ended up at centre half - a truly dreadful evening.

Yep. John Humphrey played the whole game at centre-back (he actually did ok). It was a real make-shift team and we didn't have a hope of having a shot let alone scoring.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have no recollection of this game but must have been there.
  • Remember Darren Eadie who was a good player for them. Didn't Muscat break his leg with a filth challenge? Also, was that David Rocastle in their line-up?
  • Randomly just thought of this game. Was 12 at the time, would love to see the goals again as can only vaguely remember Lee and Leaburn's (both headers I think?) Don't suppose there are any highlights anywhere? 
  • E_cafc said:
    Remember Darren Eadie who was a good player for them. Didn't Muscat break his leg with a filth challenge? Also, was that David Rocastle in their line-up?
    Yes, on loan at Norwich from Chelsea - from all accounts, a lovely bloke. Very sad...
  • edited October 2022
    Thought I’d bump this, as it was another fairly entertaining late finish ending in 4-4 against another team from a part of the world not too far away from Ipswich, coming from 4-2 down in the final minutes with 2 late goals.  We were down to 10 men from 30 mins as well 
  • 2 free kicks one each from Mark Robson and Mark Kinsella i think had us 2-1 up 
  • edited October 2022
    Goals on the museum's YouTube channel. Well worth subscribing if you haven't already. https://youtu.be/30qZVxVvgWE
  • Thanks for posting Cabbles. I stayed the course for this one(unlike yesterday to my eternal shame and regret). I'd forgotten sweaty got sent off. The thing I recall most was the sign him up song from the covered end choir about Jason Lee who I think was on loan from forest at the time. Him and Leaburn Snr looked a right handful that day.

• Kips said:
    Thanks for posting Cabbles. I stayed the course for this one(unlike yesterday to my eternal shame and regret). I'd forgotten sweaty got sent off. The thing I recall most was the sign him up song from the covered end choir about Jason Lee who I think was on loan from forest at the time. Him and Leaburn Snr looked a right handful that day.

State of the pitch. Youngster today just dont realise how bad the playing surfaces were "back in the day". And that was just the mid 90's.....they were a lot worse before then. Look at some of the old videos of the 50's & 60's  By the new year they were mainly just mud. 

Funny how back then players could play week in & week out, in the mud, without having to "be rested for the midweek fixtures". 
  • Kips said:
    Thanks for posting Cabbles. I stayed the course for this one(unlike yesterday to my eternal shame and regret). I'd forgotten sweaty got sent off. The thing I recall most was the sign him up song from the covered end choir about Jason Lee who I think was on loan from forest at the time. Him and Leaburn Snr looked a right handful that day.

The season we before we went up.  To have a forward line of Jason Lee and Carl Leaburn 😁