Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Some facts about away support

edited February 2008 in Match Day Travel
Palace took 1372 to Blackpool - we have currently sold 1303.

Both clubs played at Ninian Park in midweek. Palace took 236, we took 472.

Wolves - Palace 927, Charlton 990.
Scunthorpe - Palace 919, Charlton 1098.
Leicester - Palace 630, Charlton 1050.

These are official figures from the clubs concerned. I'm sure Palace could point to circumstances and their lower home support, etc. The point is that they provide a reasonable geographical benchmark for us and we don't emerge nearly as badly as some might think.

Comments

• i would think cos these grounds are mainly new to us this is why ours hold up quite well ..... compare the figures next season if we're both still in this league
  • Yes and no. Scunthorpe and Blackpool are presumably new to Palace as well. Most Charlton fans will have been to Leicester and Wolves before. Some of us had been to Cardiff . . .
  • LOL Ohah, clutch on to that straw as long as you can : - )

Remember Palace are a "much bigger" club than us and we have to bus all our fans in from Kent : - )
  • anyone know what our total figure for all away games this season is compeared to other championshit teams.{ who ever wants this as homework} lol
  • [cite]Posted By: kmem4[/cite]anyone know what our total figure for all away games this season is compeared to other championshit teams.{ who ever wants this as homework} lol

Airman Brown has a spreadsheet, I'm sure. : - )
  • let's wait till the end of the season get our average away support divide it into our average home crowd and we'll all realise that we've got great home support in numbers anyway;-)
  • Add 2,000+ followings at Palace, Coventry, Southampton, Watford, sold out at Colchester etc.

I've argued before, its not as bad as people make out. Long distance midweeks will always hit us due to the lack of fans living around the country. The only following that has really disappointed this season was Stoke.
  • And that was a televised early evening kickoff bang in the middle of the holiday season.
  • tell me this would we struggle to sell out in a fa cup semi final,they did twice!
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]let's wait till the end of the season get our average away support divide it into our average home crowd and we'll all realise that we've got great home support in numbers anyway;-)

I don't normally bother getting involved in this argument but surely you have to concede defeat here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Our away following hasnt lit many fires since err ......the history of the club.

Logistics has a big part to play (it does for me) as does finances.

Soon we wont have any pennies to rub together after paying our bills.

Pardews comments has really hit a nerve.

Sheffield for me is 90 miles away but after seeing that shower of shite at Scunny I could not be bothered.

Make it worth my while........
  • Very surprised that there were 990 at Wolves.

Our away support doesn't look out of place in the championship, has been some good turn outs this season.
  • Where do you get this facts from?

One think i like about away programmes is when they show how many away tickets were sold by all the clubs visiting throughout the season. it makes for good comparison, and surely not very hard to find out for the club.

why not stick it in the Valley Review? Where´s the editor?
  • Sorry Airman but all that shows is that we take roughly the same numbers away as Palace yet we get 7/8000 more fans through the gate for home games.

Palace played Leicester away on a Monday night we played Leicester Saturday 3pm.

If you look at the Palace/Charlton fixtures we eventually sold 2600 odd when we could have probably had 4000 had we asked, they sold 3400 at our place double quick.

Devils advocate :)
  • As Airman Brown said, he got the figures from the club's concerned.

Yes, we get more home fans than Palace and most sides in this divison plus a few in the Prem.

We've had 143 consecutive 20k+ crowds despite some boring football and relegation. That is a tribute to how hard some people have worked to win back lapsed fans and convert neutrals into regulars rather than something to be used as another stick to beat the club and fans with.

It also shows that our actually and potential fan base is fairly good and certainly good compared to the two local clubs, MIllwall and Palace, who were getting bigger crowds in 1992.

It would be great if we took 3000 to every away game but we don't. However neither to Palace despite what their fans (and some of ours) constantly tell us.

One other point: that Palace took a much lower amount to a Monday TV game at Leicester shows, to my mind at least, that factors such as KO time, TV, etc impact on other teams away following just the same as they do on ours.
  • edited February 2008
    Considering the Leicester game was on the 29th December - three days after the Norwich game, which was a sell out - I was quite impressed with our support at The Walkers.

Thanks for that info Airman.
  • another fact about our away support.
    if every season ticket holder + our regular walk up support (total at a guess 20,000) attended just 2 away matches, we would have an average following of over 1700.
    we probably have a hard core of 300ish supporters who go to every game, add that into the equation then we'd average 2000.
    the fact (ok probably a guess) that if you took our hard core 300 out of the current figures, the other 19,700 are probably averaging 1 away game every other season.
  • really pbs?

I by no means consider myself an ardent traveller (6 games with 7 on saturday) so i must be making up for some of you lazy sods!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]really pbs?

I by no means consider myself an ardent traveller (6 games with 7 on saturday) so i must be making up for some of you lazy sods!

7 away games out of 17 would definately get you in the top 2% of attendees. blackpool will be my 8th of the season. a bit selfish of us both, don't you think?
    maybe we should ease off and give others a chance;-)
  • yeah, like oohahh.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]yeah, like oohahh.

***lurks for response***
  • edited February 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Sorry Airman but all that shows is that we take roughly the same numbers away as Palace yet we get 7/8000 more fans through the gate for home games.

Palace played Leicester away on a Monday night we played Leicester Saturday 3pm.

If you look at the Palace/Charlton fixtures we eventually sold 2600 odd when we could have probably had 4000 had we asked, they sold 3400 at our place double quick.

Devils advocate :)[/quote]

Palace charged us £30 at Selhurst, which I think most people regarded as a rip-off amount in this division. I don't think it's likely Simon Jordan would have given Charlton 4,000 tickets anyway. In any case, the point I am making is that Palace's away support is more or less in line with ours and they are the closest benchmark we have. I'm not sure that our home gates are much of a guide to anything because of the very high number of season tickets and very low number of match tickets we sell.
  • Airman - Very interesting stats there, did you actually contact the clubs directly or was this info freely available online somewhere as would like to have a look.