Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Bob's record: getting the facts straight

So, Bob leaves us. His legacy a league record of 6 wins 13 draws and 6 defeats. You can looks at this in two ways……

Bob leaves Charlton with an ‘even’ record. He won as many games as he lost in the League, which isn’t bad for “a patient” that is in recovery. Further, if we had scored one goal more in every game, we would be top of the league. Now, Roland, don’t you think that you should have bought Igor a friend, so that he wasn’t on his own up front there? That’s not Bob’s fault at all. Our home record isn’t quite ‘Fortress Valley’ but two defeats in 13 home games isn’t too shabby in a League that is, as we all know, tightly contested. Indeed, in the old days when it was 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw, our position would have been better than it is even now. Bob, you are unlucky and a victim of a ruthless Belgian.

or

Bob leaves Charlton with an ‘even’ record. He won as many games as he lost in the League, but drew far too many – over half, in fact. Also, he suffered two cup defeats, so his real record is 6 wins and 8 defeats. He only averaged 1.148 points per game if you count the cup games like a league game. That’s terrible. Further, if we had scored one goal less in every game, we would be bottom of the league now. It’s lucky you had Igor, Bob, otherwise you would have been in more trouble than your two predecessors. Our home record is a disgrace – only four wins from 13 games with pathetic results against some of the strugglers in this division. Football is now all about winning games; draws are of limited value. Why oh why have we been so negative against some poor teams? Bob, you were not up to the job of being a manager at this level. Roland won’t make the same mistake again.

Comments

• Move on (:
  • Fine margins...
  • I like it when people address part of their posts to Roland
  • Nice one.
  • The truth is that we were only better than the opposition on six occasions. The game is about "winning" and not "not losing" as evidenced by the fact that you get three times as many points for a win.

We had nothing about us that made us capable of turning draws into wins and too frequently when we were in front we resorted to trying to hold on to that position. Latterly, that record became even worse with just five goals scored in BP's final nine games in charge and not a win in sight. That is truly shocking and whereas "not losing" had become a habit early season, the opposite in recent times had very much become the norm.

Whether that can/will change under a new RD puppet remains to be seen.
  • The impression I get is that somehow Peeters' management technique and philosophy as the season progressed had wasted a good start to the season. The contrast between performances in the autumn and now is startling. He lost the players and that meant his regime was fatally undermined. He had to go.
  • So, Bob leaves us. His legacy a league record of 6 wins 13 draws and 6 defeats. You can looks at this in two ways……

Bob leaves Charlton with an ‘even’ record. He won as many games as he lost in the League, which isn’t bad for “a patient” that is in recovery. Further, if we had scored one goal more in every game, we would be top of the league. Now, Roland, don’t you think that you should have bought Igor a friend, so that he wasn’t on his own up front there? That’s not Bob’s fault at all. Our home record isn’t quite ‘Fortress Valley’ but two defeats in 13 home games isn’t too shabby in a League that is, as we all know, tightly contested. Indeed, in the old days when it was 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw, our position would have been better than it is even now. Bob, you are unlucky and a victim of a ruthless Belgian.

or

Bob leaves Charlton with an ‘even’ record. He won as many games as he lost in the League, but drew far too many – over half, in fact. Also, he suffered two cup defeats, so his real record is 6 wins and 8 defeats. He only averaged 1.148 points per game if you count the cup games like a league game. That’s terrible. Further, if we had scored one goal less in every game, we would be bottom of the league now. It’s lucky you had Igor, Bob, otherwise you would have been in more trouble than your two predecessors. Our home record is a disgrace – only four wins from 13 games with pathetic results against some of the strugglers in this division. Football is now all about winning games; draws are of limited value. Why oh why have we been so negative against some poor teams? Bob, you were not up to the job of being a manager at this level. Roland won’t make the same mistake again.

Splitting hairs, but it's 7 wins - we beat Colchester in the league cup before losing to Derby.
  • cafcfan said:

So, Bob leaves us. His legacy a league record of 6 wins 13 draws and 6 defeats. You can looks at this in two ways……

or

Splitting hairs, but it's 7 wins - we beat Colchester in the league cup before losing to Derby.
    To be fair he did say "League". And if we include Cups it's eight defeats so that doesn't exactly improve Bob's record.
  • Further, if we had scored one goal less in every game, we would be bottom of the league now.

And if we'd scored one goal more, we'd be miles clear at the top.
  • cafcfan said:

or

To be fair he did say "League". And if we include Cups it's eight defeats so that doesn't exactly improve Bob's record.
    To be fair, he did say if we "count the cup games like a league game". So, the average would have been 1.21 ppg. And the thread title was "...getting the facts straight". So I thought it might help if they actually were.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

or

To be fair, he did say if we "count the cup games like a league game". So, the average would have been 1.21 ppg. And the thread title was "...getting the facts straight". So I thought it might help if they actually were.
    Apologies - you are, of course, correct on that count.
  • Its not just about results though is it. Its also about trend and the recent trand has been downwards - there comes a time for a stop. Its also about man management - and everything seems to point to Bob's style as being a significant problem. Individual style and approach is hard to change - especially if the individual is egotistic and apparently "always right" and placing the blame on others. Not saying Bob was like that - don't know - but all the signs are that that was a big part of the problem. People, and our players are just that, do not respond well to that kind of management. There really is only one option and that has now been taken.
  • edited January 2015
    Talk about facts all you like. The performances have been dreadful. I left The Valley on Saturday and genuinely couldn't see us winning anytime soon. He had to go.
  • Comparing BP to SCP at the corresponding time last year, BP has played one more game, won one more game, lost 4 fewer games but drawn 4 more and is 7 points better off. Seems strange for RD to sack his chosen manager when SCP was given another couple of months.
  • We started very well, but the slide downwards started since we lost the 'unbeaten' tag and has only accelerated since then. The players are undoubtedly good enough to turn things back around as shown by early season performances but although I have heard nothing myself about behind the scenes trouble it seems highly credible to me based simply on what I see every Saturday on the pitch; I've said on many threads that perhaps for whatever reason Bob isn't (well, wasn't) able to get things going again. I don't think it's the playing record that's done Bob in, or at the very least not that alone.
  • I think Bobs dismissal was more to do with losing the dressing room and subsequent player non performances rather than the overall season. Something went on behind the scenes and the players gave him the finger....
  • I keep seeing this "losing the dressing room" accusation but is there any actual evidence of that or is it just gossip?
  • Rizzo said:

Comparing BP to SCP at the corresponding time last year, BP has played one more game, won one more game, lost 4 fewer games but drawn 4 more and is 7 points better off. Seems strange for RD to sack his chosen manager when SCP was given another couple of months.

Sacking SCP would always be a far more difficult decision to make as he was engrained in the club. Also, in the first half of last season we were consistently mediocre, whereas this year we're clearly on a very bad run, more akin to the ones that got Parky and Pardew sacked
  • I don't have a problem with Bob's dismissal - like others, I couldn't see where the next win was coming from. Performances were actually getting worse and when I see Lawrie Wilson, who I voted for as POTY last year, playing like a competition winner, it seemed to me that the rumours of dressing room unrest had some foundation.

My problem is with the inevitability of the next appointment. It won't be a decision made with imagination, or with the best man for the job in mind. It will be a decision influenced by who RD has down the back of his sofa ready to come in at no extra cost. He'll hope it works out and if it doesn't, he'll just go onto the next one.

• This losing the dressing room thing.

So players perform badly and don't do what the manager tells them and we lose a game. The manager then gives them a talking to and the players get all offended and down tools. Not very professional is it?

• Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:

This losing the dressing room thing.

So players perform badly and don't do what the manager tells them and we lose a game. The manager then gives them a talking to and the players get all offended and down tools. Not very professional is it?

Indeed not. But they are not "professional" in the way that word would be used for a proper job, like doctor or lawyer. They are merely quite good at football and a number of them are likely to be a bit thick and being young will also get the sulks.
  • iaitch said:

No it's not. Gone are the days of taking your bollocking and then proving your worth to to the manager and the supporters.
  • Further, if we had scored one goal less in every game, we would be bottom of the league now.

And if we'd scored one goal more, we'd be miles clear at the top.
    Which is what TMA said in his first paragraph Chris: "Further, if we had scored one goal more in every game, we would be top of the league".
  • Simonsen said:

iaitch said:

No it's not. Gone are the days of taking your bollocking and then proving your worth to to the manager and the supporters.
    True, nowadays you have to tweet and start a campaign on how offended/victimised you are.
  • This losing the dressing room thing is hugely overplayed. I can honestly say there were times when I was coaching after some performances I would have happily lost the entire dressing room, and made every effort to never find it again. A few wins and everything calms down and we all move on. It is the nature of any team game. Strong people tend to have strong views and there will be clashes.

I recall after one dire performance where although we won the game I kept all the coaching / support staff in the dug out, leaving the players to sort their kit and make their own arrangements to get home. Their efforts were simply not worthy of all the work, effort and support we were putting in. If they were not prepared to put in the work we were demanding on the pitch they could bloody well put it in off the pitch.

I can only imagine the comments in the club bar. The club chairman was fine with it. You are not being employed to be popular - you are employed to get a job done. It is not your job to keep everybody happy all of the time. You are not organising a crèche.