Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vacuum cleaning up

Good luck to the fella.

Sir James Dyson, the billionaire who made his fortune through the bagless vacuum cleaner, now owns more land in England than the Queen, after buying a 3,000 acre estate in Lincolnshire.
The inventor now has one of the largest private landholdings in the country since he purchased the Cranwell and Roxholme estate from the Crown Estate.
Dyson's land 25,000 acre land portfolio now also exceeds the Queen’s 20,000 acre Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, as well as the Duke of Bedford’s 13,000 acres in Bedfordshire.

Comments

• Not surprised the amount one costs
  • Personal fortune of £3 billion.
  • Personal fortune of £3 billion.

Wonder whether he likes football ?

• Heh heh - if only.
    Sadly he'd probably invest in Ipswich, being a Norfolk boy.
    Mind you, he has relocated to the Cotswolds so he may help out Hereford?
  • I think he still is some way behind the C of E
  • I'm sure the hundreds of workers he put out of work when he upped sticks to Malaysia to save money are pleased for him.

Exactly.
  • If he disappeared off the face of the earth it would leave a vacuum...
  • The Duke of Buccleuch is your boy when it comes to land ownership.

Most of it is useless moorland, but he still owns more acres in the UK than any other person.
  • Sounds like he's cleaned up
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure the hundreds of workers he put out of work when he upped sticks to Malaysia to save money are pleased for him.

Just as well he did. Imagine how much they would cost otherwise!
  • edited December 2014
    Forestry commission, national trust, ministry of defence, pension funds and then utilities (water, rail) and the RSPB all own more than Bucclech. But as an individual he is certainly landed gentry!
  • Forestry commission, national trust, ministry of defence, pension funds and then utilities (water, rail) and the RSPB all own more than Bucclech. But as an individual he is certainly landed gentry!

Yep. Old school. Wonder how many people his forefathers turned over to get and hold their pile?
  • That sucks............
  • Heh heh - if only.

Would a Norfolk boy ever be allowed to go back home if he invested in the Suffolk club? :-)
  • cafcfan said:

Heh heh - if only.

Would a Norfolk boy ever be allowed to go back home if he invested in the Suffolk club? :-)
    Probably not, but as our Delia has Norwich in her oven, it's either Swaffham Town, or move further afield?
  • Dyson overtakes the queen.

Say goodbye to the bag.
  • cafcfan said:

Heh heh - if only.

Probably not, but as our Delia has Norwich in her oven, it's either Swaffham Town, or move further afield?
    I believe former Ipswich Town Chairman, David Sheepshanks & family are significant landowners

I'm sure the 1,200 now employed in the UK are happy that he was able to relocate and cut manufacturing costs by 30% and make the business even more profitable and employ even more people. Dyson was selling more in Asia than the UK and was refused planning permission to expand to meet demand. His crime in the eyes of the Unions was reversing his previously undying commitment to the UK cause. The left make it personal and Dyson is held up as an anti-British traitor when nothing could be further from the truth, he is simply a capitalist. Even Owen Jones gets it " It’s not because he’s a bad person, or morally questionable: it’s because capitalism is about making profit.."

Dyson is as British as they come, and did all he could to keep his company British and work with Unions. Reality got in the way, the World does not buy stuff from the UK to keep us in jobs, it buys stuff that is wanted and is competitive with World prices.

Fortunately Unions don't run businesses, apart from their own which operate as un-democratic dictatorships, and the left should stick to providing an alternative to the current capitalist system that works for everyone rather than make personal attacks those who make the current system work as best it can.
  • Dippenhall, I'm sure you're right to a certain degree but Dyson did cite moving to the far east was to be closer to Japan where his company has a big market. He now concentrates on R&D in the UK.
    We dont do mass produced cheap goods with lots of unskilled factory workers any more in the UK. Its all about keeping his business going and making money.
    Some goods do sell because they are British made; Brompton bikes. , Landrover and Jaguar cars and Triumph motorcycles (also made in far east for that market and in the UK).

Your last paragraph, " apart from their own which operate as un-democratic dictatorships". All unions or what one/ones?
    "current capitalist system that works for everyone" its the only one we are ever likely to have but it certainly does not work for everyone and for those it works for it may not continue to work for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• OK I take back the swipe at all Unions. Some are democratic not for profit organisations run by elected leaders abiding by the highest principles of integrity, bit like FIFA I guess.
  • Hoover ever would have thought it.
  • Heh heh - if only.

Ipswich is in Suffolk. Norwich is in Norfolk !

• OK I take back the swipe at all Unions. Some are democratic not for profit organisations run by elected leaders abiding by the highest principles of integrity, bit like FIFA I guess.

Don't guess, you're not good at it.
  • Only half the land mass of the UK is registered though.

And the Queen (or state) will own aty precious metals, treasure, coal, oil or natural gas in ti by statutory right.
  • edited December 2014

Heh heh - if only.

Ipswich is in Suffolk. Norwich is in Norfolk !

Correct.
    No chance of ousting Delia so his next closest club in that part of the world?
    Or Hereford/Chletenham/Oxford (if he had a scintilla of interest in football) might be targets, being close to his new home.
  • The hose is a bit of too snug of a fit when compared to Hetti the Vacuum Filthbag...

Why is Japan the first to get Dyson’s new 360 Eye?

This post originally appeared on Akihabara News.

The Dyson 360 Eye autonomous vacuum cleaner went public in Tokyo on September 4th, and it got a lot of attention – enough to make almost any product from almost any industry jealous. There are several obvious reasons: Dyson products are aesthetically pleasing, Dyson products are unique, Dyson products perform well above average across the board, and Dyson is badass at marketing. Just look at their website; a company that makes cleaning machines and fans has a slicker web presence than actually, than most companies that make or do anything at all.

Also, there’s the new device itself. The steadily plodding iterations of iRobot’s Roomba and its legion of copycats are old hat, and we aren’t really impressed anymore. While the 360 Eye performs the same task, it stands out, and just kinda has that new robot smell. The talking points/broad strokes/things to know are:

Dyson 360 Eye: Sixteen Years of Research; $47 million Investment

Q. Why Japan first? Why Japan only (for a time, anyway)?

A. Japan is first now, because Japan was first then (and the market is huge)
    In design and engineering circles, James Dyson is famous for meticulous attention to both the performance and the appearance of his company’s products. Lore tells of Dyson creating over 5000 prototype designs before deciding that he’d perfected his first ‘Dual Cyclone’ dust/dirt separation tech. We’re pretty sure someone’s counting scribbles on cocktail napkins there, but the point remains.

In the early 1980s, Dyson finally had a model he believed ready for production, but no household appliance makers in his native UK or in the US were interested. Whether accurate or not, lore also speaks of a Little Guy Makes Good story, i.e., he was dismissed by Hoover and friends because the home cleaning giants were worried about monkeywrenching their comfortable hold on a hugely lucrative market.

But guess who was interested: Japanese appliance company Apex, Inc. They licensed Dyson’s technology and in 1983 produced the G-Force Cleaner. The big pink vacuum was a hit, and it was with the earnings from this licensing venture that Dyson the man created Dyson the company – and things have gone quite well since.
  • Dyson, the Steve Jobs of the vacuum cleaner world .. and as with Apple, Dyson products look beautiful but are very expensive, a case perhaps of style trumping utility.
  • Dyson, the Steve Jobs of the vacuum cleaner world .. and as with Apple, Dyson products look beautiful but are very expensive, a case perhaps of style trumping utility.

I think that's a slightly unfair comparison. They may be top dollar but a Dyson has great utility - and they last. We've got - well it's Mrs cafcfan's really of course! - a DC02 from 1995. It's still going strong. Dyson only stopped supporting it with parts/servicing in 2011 but it's never needed anything and generic filters are still available. What's more, if you contact them and trade in your old DC01 or DC02 they'll give you a hefty discount off a new one. There are other examples of great companies that make superb products and offer great customer support. Dualit is another British one and Samsonite are quite happy to send spare wheels, etc for their hard shell cases FOC even though they are very, very long in the tooth indeed. For these reasons when I need a new cleaner/toaster/suitcase I know where I'll be buying.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

If only Apple could say the same don't you think?