Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

**RESULTS** Charlton Life Cryptic Crossword Competition - win £100 for a charity of your choice

For those with nothing to do over Christmas, here's a (mainly) Charlton-based cryptic crossword for you to attempt. Those completing the crossword by the time our game against Ipswich is scheduled to kick off on Tuesday 30th December will be entered into a draw to decide who wins. The prize is a £100 donation from my c ompany to the charity of your choice. If you think you have the answers, inbox me your answers or ask for my email address so that a file can be sent. Don't forget to name your favoured charity. The crossword can be downloaded as an Excel file or as a PDF.

Please DON'T post the answers on here, although discussion about the odd clue is welcome, of course.

If you can't finish it, still send in the answers you have - you may still win.

Best of luck.

Comments

• Er you've posted the solution!
  • Er you've posted the solution!

Thank you and fixed now.......a huge amount of swearing by me......I didn't plan to post the Excel workbook and changed my mind at the last moment.
  • Looks good. Unfortunately it's 1230 am Xmas morning and am trying to put together an Amazing Spiderman kids bike that has not got the required tool that is meant to come with it.

• MrOneLung said:

Looks good. Unfortunately it's 1230 am Xmas morning and am trying to put together an Amazing Spiderman kids bike that has not got the required tool that is meant to come with it.

then you will need Spiderman..........or failing that Halfords is open tommorow......
  • well, how many have completed this?
  • No one yet!

Right I'm on it TMA
  • No one yet!

I think you'll find Lawrie Abrahams has every answer correct! ;)
  • I think I have! All complete but one or two I'm not 100% sure on. Sent a PM (hopefully!)

Great idea and effort, cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Can only get 8 of them.
  • All will be revealed the moment our boys kick off at Ipswich tonight.
  • How many correct answers required to be entered in to draw?
  • How many correct answers required to be entered in to draw?

Many!
  • Just been spotted - the clue for 22 down should be 21 down. Still, you shouldn't need 21 down if you got all the clues across.
  • all too tough for me this, i've got about 12, but great crossword
  • all too tough for me this, i've got about 12, but great crossword

Tell me your 12, I'll tell you mine and then we can both go in the hat !
  • I only saw the first two across answers when I saw solution. But I have completed it.
  • edited December 2014
    Congratulations to Swerve on winning the Charlton Life Christmas Crossword. Swerve's entry had just one error - the very first clue.......a brilliant effort.

Swerve, just name your charity and £100 will be winging its way to them.

The answers were (full crossword downloadable as PDF):

Across
    1 On the floor to indicate when it goes off the side (Lino)
    3 Both the country and the countries, you might say, have played for us (Hollands)
    8 Only just two years old, but the beginnings of being true saints (Tru-st)
    9 The finish is the beginning and number one is last for this prolific striker who failed at The Valley (End-(d)ean)
    11 With our head in the clouds, maybe, we never win, it seems, on this (Sky)
    12 A dirty road? (Elland)
    13 Sounds like Crawford but played for Millwall (Rae)
    14 Where we come from - a League Two hall (Roots)
    16 It's not working but we score (Strike)
    19 1990s loanee that had the answer either way (Otto)
    20 Former Lion that had a shot on (Eamonn)
    22 Player whose brand of football meant red cards, I'll grant you (Russell)
    24 Wistful, perhaps, but Ricky Villa's was a classic goal of this type (Solo)
    26 Alright with Anelka beginning to give you a defender. It's convincing. (Okane)
    27 The salary goalscorers hit after deductions (Net)
    29 One of these has appeared in every decade since the 80s but we're still in dire trouble (Reid)
    30 Sounds like it's Andy or a red card but he got the winner at Palace. (Todorov)

Down
    1 Loan striker for under two pints (Lita)
    2 In no trouble with this striker (Nouble)
    4 A bit more than a lover for this left wing Lifer (Len)
    5 Headless striker results in something after the game, perhaps (Ales)
    6 Andy put it another way - but you might be guessing (Dany)
    7 Wore one and made a mark (Stuart)
    9 90 minutes up at this covered one (End)
    10 One of five, one of three pros and one of two for us (Akpo)
    12 Stand in Ikea starkers (East)
    14 Team of superstars that are not imaginary (Real)
    15 An expression of good wishes but not what we want for one of ours (Send off)
    16 Old eagle therefore takes old boss to a party (So-ron-do)
    17 Kept in the garden? (Rose)
    18 Gold, frankincense and myrrh? Just one of those was for us. (Keeper)
    21 Where Bradley was better than Sean no doubt (MLS)
    23 Worn by players, but made by disapproving fans to the first team (Boo-t)
    25 Brian was ordinary at first (Ord)
    28 Former player who was Secretary of the FA (Ted)
  • Brilliant stuff, the charity donation is really generous, how about Demelza if that's ok, feels like the right thing as all done through CL. Thanks again tma
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done swerve and thanks TMA.

• Great competition, thanks very much to TMA for both compiling and with the generous prize offer.

Congratulations @Swerve‌ all that broadsheet reading clearly pays off!

Couple of ones really threw me. I could get Thomas Myhre, but couldn't find a way to make it fit (didn't think of keeper), and also struggled badly with Sorondo.
  • Swerve said:

Brilliant stuff, the charity donation is really generous, how about Demelza if that's ok, feels like the right thing as all done through CL. Thanks again tma

I'll get it arranged today. Once again, well done.
  • The reply email to the donation came with a poem (see attached).
  • edited December 2014
    Swerve's a jeanius .. that was a very difficult puzzle
  • Swerve's a jeanius .. that was a very difficult puzzle

I had to look up two of the answers myself when I was preparing to post the answers last night!