Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Apples Broken Promises - Panorama Tonight

just watched tonight's offering of Panoroma , not really too shocked about their findings, workers earning a pound an hour, doing 80 hours a week, 12 year old kids working In tin mines, workers committing suicide and workers falling asleep on the job operating machinery, we all know this stuff goes on in different industries around the world, yet still lap up these products in the west.

I know the Beeb is an offshoot of the government and whenever they shine the spotlight on someone else I'm always thinking , hello what wrong doing are they up too know?

I'm not sure what they want us to do, stop buying phones?

iPhone 6 costs 5 dollars to make, and they make something like 240 dollars a phone, a modern day form of slavery?

Comments

• I saw Panorama tonight. While I'm not a particular fan of Apple, they are in no way the only company running an unethical business. Sadly we are all guilty for letting these greedy businesses get away with it.
  • DId it mention how much the cost of living in these countries is?

Not defending apple as such just these types of programmes always pick up on the low wage without putting it in relation to how much living costs are.

One thing I will say is that for such a hippy type character Steve Jobs didn't seem to care too much when it came to turning a profit did he.
  • edited December 2014
    buckshee said:

DId it mention how much the cost of living in these countries is?

Not defending apple as such just these types of programmes always pick up on the low wage without putting it in relation to how much living costs are.

One thing I will say is that for such a hippy type character Steve Jobs didn't seem to care too much when it came to turning a profit did he.

Steve Jobs was to 'hippies' what Osman Bin Laden was to 'christians' .. and I get the impression that much (most ?) of China is little more than one huge slave labour camp .. as was Britain in the 19th century and Japan in the 20th
  • Funny how there was no mentions of Samsung, Dell, HTC and LG who use that factory as well, but then that's not a story
  • Rothko said:

Funny how there was no mentions of Samsung, Dell, HTC and LG who use that factory as well, but then that's not a story

I'd say the same thing if I was an Apple sheep as well ;)

• From Closed Thread:

#Dave21

Apple se to quite easily get targeted and caught out by journo's, via unfulfilled apparent company policies etc.
    Saw a programme beforehand about how Apple purposely ensure products such as the iPod do not have a re-usable battery, so the customer is very much pushed to buy a new iPod instead of fixing the easily crap model that only lasted just over a year.

This is insightful and concerning stuff about the production line via panorama.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30532463

Certainly not the great company they make out to be. A big front.

#Charltonparklane

haven't used an Apple product for 4 years now, haven't missed it one bit.
  • Rothko said:

Funny how there was no mentions of Samsung, Dell, HTC and LG who use that factory as well, but then that's not a story

Absolutly and you can add to that list all day long.

I only watched part of the programme, it really didnt tell me anything I didnt know already. Where and how do people think these things are made for the world so cheaply?
  • The bit that made me choke was the traing/induction; Tick the box if you dont want to work nights or stand up working.(not that there really was an option)
    I left school at the end of the '70s and spent the next 30 odd years working in factories in the UK, we had a different a way of doing things here; like it or lump it.
    Factories are the same the world over, hell for those who have work in them.
  • Steve Jobs’ first business was selling “blue boxes” that allowed users to get free phone service illegally.

These boxes were designed in 1972 by Jobs’ close friend and future co-founder of Apple, Steve Wozniak. The idea to sell them was supposedly Jobs’. The two learned about blue boxes from famed “phreaker” (phone freak/hacker) John “Cap’n Crunch” Draper. (This nickname was alluding to a whistle given away in the 1960s in Cap’n Crunch cereal which produced the perfect tone, 2600 Hz, to allow a person to enter operator mode on AT&T’s phone system. Draper later briefly worked at Apple, even while serving a five year jail sentence for his phreaking escapades.)

The blue box worked by producing certain tones that were used in the telephone system to switch long distance calls. Once you made a long distance call, you could use the box to enter operator mode, then use it to route your call as you wanted and to wherever you wanted, all for free and extremely difficult to trace, making blue boxes a popular item amongst various criminal elements.

As Jobs explained, you could use the device to call “from a payphone and go to White Plains, New York, take a satellite to Europe, take a cable to Turkey, come back to L.A…. You can go around the world 3 or 4 times and call the payphone next door and shout in the phone and it would be about 30 seconds and it would come out the other phone.” (This was something John Draper used to demonstrate to people at parties using one of his own blue boxes.)
  • Sponsored links:

• 80 hours a week, at a pound an hour would be an OK salary for a lot of people in a lot of cities in China.

The hours are tough but not unheard of for someone working in a coffee shop or many other places.
  • You can criticise anything apart from the NHS or Apple.
  • Frankie Boyle made me laugh re Apple. He wondered if Steve Jobs' early demise could be regarded as an analogy of Apple's attitude to battery life. And also whether he was buried in a coffin with a great big crack in the lid.
  • Unfortunately, this will never end unless the west no longer want cheap goods! I have just come back from china, the pollution is so bad you can hardly breath - all coming from these factories producing consumer goods for the west.
  • 80 hours a week, at a pound an hour would be an OK salary for a lot of people in a lot of cities in China.

The hours are tough but not unheard of for someone working in a coffee shop or many other places.

I used to work 80 hours a week, every week for years, on the railway back in the 80s.
    So did many of us.

It was the only way we could save towards a deposit big enough to eventually get a mortgage.

Long hours can become a way of life everywhere in the world.
    It depends how desperate you are for the money.
  • That was kind of my point, there programs aim to shock but you need to consider
    buckshee said:

DId it mention how much the cost of living in these countries is?

• Food costs pretty much the same around the world. Fact.
  • I must have been way more stoned than I thought every time I went to the market in China.

Ps, you're wrong.
  • I must have been way more stoned than I thought every time I went to the market in China.

Ps, you're wrong.

So give me some examples?
    I lived in s.e Asia for 6 years. You will always get local anomalies but for core products (meat and fish) prices are not dissimilar to the UK. Street dishes can seem cheap but thats down to low labour costs and what the meal actually contains.
    Maybe China is just silly cheap but if so, don't compare it to the rest of the world.
    Meat and Fish prices are usually dependant on grain prices which are certainly set on an international level.
  • Fruit, veg and meat are all much cheaper in China than here, of course it is, think of the overheads producers and shops face here and there.

And I'm just talking about buying stuff to take home to cook, comparing eating out would be even more ridiculous.

Laos was even cheaper, as is Burma.