Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

converting cassette tapes

Into a digital format.

Can it be done?

If so, how?

If the museum had a load of cassette recordings of Charlton live from the 80s who/how could covert them?

Comments

• I thank you.
  • Or get a behringer ufo 202 which I think will do the trick and works with vinyl also

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UFO202-U-phono-Audio-Interface/dp/B002GHBYZ0
  • You will need a recording software with the ufo though i.e. Audacity or Garageband
  • Audacity is free, so don't let that put you off.
  • edited December 2014
    Edit:Aplogies, Immediatley realised you meant casette rather than VHS
  • One word of warning. I bought something similar a few years back. It worked absolutely fine but if you're using it for music tapes you have to stop between each track or it would just record the entire album as a single MP3 file. That could be something that the software has now improved on though.
  • I've got a Brennan JB7 which I've used for this. I could probably help out if you PM me.
  • Most PCs have a line in. Any cassette player will do the job. Connect it to your line in (mic port will do), hit record on Audacity (it's free, it's decent enough for this task, why use anything else) and play on your cassette player and Mr Peeters is your father's brother.

It will produce one big file, but Audacity is your friend in terms of editing the bits you want and cleaning it up a bit. Always work on a copy of the original MP3 though, very easy to find yourself having to record the whole thing again otherwise.
  • Thanks again guys,

just need to get the tapes now
  • Sponsored links:

• rikofold said:

Most PCs have a line in. Any cassette player will do the job. Connect it to your line in (mic port will do), hit record on Audacity (it's free, it's decent enough for this task, why use anything else) and play on your cassette player and Mr Peeters is your father's brother.

It will produce one big file, but Audacity is your friend in terms of editing the bits you want and cleaning it up a bit. Always work on a copy of the original MP3 though, very easy to find yourself having to record the whole thing again otherwise.

That's very useful to know, Mr Rikofold.

Thank you.