Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• What's Black Friday?
  • PL54 said:

What's Black Friday?

The day after Thanksgiving.
  • I thought today was thanksgiving
  • Thanksgiving in two days.
  • No, always the last Thursday in November.
  • So what happens on Black Friday?
  • edited November 2014
    PL54 said:

So what happens on Black Friday?

Everyone dresses up as minstrels and they dance in the streets.
  • PL54 said:

So what happens on Black Friday?

• Sponsored links:

• What's the chances of getting an ipad on the cheap during the blackest day?
  • Shops are mahem avoid them like the plague! Tried it last year and lasted 2 minutes before storming out. The prices are reasonably reduced and there are usually some massive electrical discounts but not worth being crushed for. Im supposed to be going to an Ann summers party that night though and I wonder if that would hold the same sort of discount.
  • Shops are mahem avoid them like the plague! Tried it last year and lasted 2 minutes before storming out. The prices are reasonably reduced and there are usually some massive electrical discounts but not worth being crushed for. Im supposed to be going to an Ann summers party that night though and I wonder if that would hold the same sort of discount.

They have black Friday here ? Thought it was just an American thing.
  • se9addick said:

Shops are mahem avoid them like the plague! Tried it last year and lasted 2 minutes before storming out. The prices are reasonably reduced and there are usually some massive electrical discounts but not worth being crushed for. Im supposed to be going to an Ann summers party that night though and I wonder if that would hold the same sort of discount.

Me too
  • se9addick said:

Shops are mahem avoid them like the plague! Tried it last year and lasted 2 minutes before storming out. The prices are reasonably reduced and there are usually some massive electrical discounts but not worth being crushed for. Im supposed to be going to an Ann summers party that night though and I wonder if that would hold the same sort of discount.

So was the ice bucket challenge..............
  • RobRob
    edited November 2014
    A bit misplaced in England though. Black Friday in the States is a bit like Boxing Day. Most people are off work and lots of sales in the shops.
  • se9addick said:

Like everything in America it always crosses the pond!
    It's getting bigger over here
  • For anyone into gaming, over 300 GAME stores are opening at midnight on Thursday night for Black Friday
  • Was in Florida for this last year. The prices at the Outlet Malls were ridiculously cheap. Two Lacoste Polos for $25.00, Two Ralph Lauren Polos for $35.00, North Face jackets $40.00 etc etc. we didn't go anywhere near the shops on the actual day, but there was still loads of quality stuff left on the Sunday after it. Sales seem to go on for 2-3 days.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

For anyone into gaming, over 300 GAME stores are opening at midnight on Thursday night for Black Friday

Good discounts?
  • Apparently the term "black Friday" comes from stores trading "in the black", whereas we tend to think of it as negative eg stockmarket crash = black Monday.
  • Just received an email from Bluewater advising of all the stores participating in special deals/discounts in 3 days time.

Guess where you'll find Fanny ....
  • Just received an email from Bluewater advising of all the stores participating in special deals/discounts in 3 days time.

There's a joke about wandering hands in the crowds there somewhere....
  • edited November 2014

There's a joke about wandering hands in the crowds there somewhere....
    I'll try to keep them in my pockets, Neil....

• Apparently the term "black Friday" comes from stores trading "in the black", whereas we tend to think of it as negative eg stockmarket crash = black Monday.

US retail margins are very low, and the holiday season is where they expect to make up their money and hopefully move into profit. This all starts on the Friday after Thanksgiving when stores hope to move out of the red and into the black for year end.

Up a cul de sac.
  • I am in Florida at the moment. The TV advertisers are going mad on adverts for Black Friday specials. Not only do the sales start at the crack of dawn on Friday but some of them even start early evening on Thanksgiving.
    Mrs Diamond is honing up the credit cards