Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Tuesday 24th November 1981. Charlton Athletic 3 Chelsea 4

Tuesday 24th November 1981. The Valley, Att: 11,080

Charlton Athletic 3 (2) (Robinson 28, Hales 31, Ambrose 80) Chelsea 4 (3) (Walker 2 33, Bumstead 35 54)

Charlton Athletic: Johns, Naylor, Ferns, Gritt (Smith 53), McAllister, L Phillips, Elliott, Berry, Hales, Ambrose, Robinson.

Chelsea: Francis, Wilkins, Hutchings, Hales, Droy, Pates, Mayes, Bumstead, Lee, Walker, Fillery. Unused sub: Nutton.

Referee: Brian Hill, Northants.

Chelsea finished one place above the Addicks in 12th place of the second tier. Paul Walsh and Derek Hales both scored 13 goals during the season.

Also this season: Aston Villa became European Cup winners, beating Bayern Munich 1-0 in Rotterdam.

Comments

Puts in perspective when people say 19k v Millwall is poor
  • edited November 2014
    Yes and probably 5,000- 6,000 of those were Chelsea.

Clive Walker was a very good player in those days for them. Quick, skillful and direct. We had only just come back up to Division 2 but held our own. Would that have been Kevin Hales in their line-up that evening?

Also Colin Pates and John Bumstead who would go on to play for us later in their careers.
  • Loads of Chelsea infiltrated the Covered End seats. @Addickted saw them off after Killer put us 2-1 ahead though:)
  • E-cafc said:

Yes and probably 5,000- 6,000 of those were Chelsea.

Clive Walker was a very good player in those days for them. Quick, skillful and direct. We had only just come back up to Division 2 but held our own. Would that have been Kevin Hales in their line-up that evening?

Also Colin Pates and John Bumstead who would go on to play for us later in their careers.

Clive Walker was an entertaining player. He could cross with either foot and was comfortable going inside or outside his man. Got goals too.
  • Didn't Chelsea try and burn the Covered End down that day? I was only 7 but have a vague memory or rumours going round that they had started fires under the stand!
  • Didn't Chelsea try and burn the Covered End down that day? I was only 7 but have a vague memory or rumours going round that they had started fires under the stand!

That was the 1976 Easter Monday game when we won 4-0 and Mike Flanagan scored a hat trick
  • One substitute used across the 2 teams - I know they only had one each but it would likely have been 6 if it was played now.
  • Richard J said:

Didn't Chelsea try and burn the Covered End down that day? I was only 7 but have a vague memory or rumours going round that they had started fires under the stand!

That was the 1976 Easter Monday game when we won 4-0 and Mike Flanagan scored a hat trick
    I was only 2 in 1976 so wasn't at that one......maybe people were talking about that game and my young over active imagination assumed they meant it was happening there and then!

• Goals in the 28th, 31st, 33rd and 35th minutes.

Gutted if you went for a dump in the 27th.........
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8594282913

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:

Didn't Chelsea try and burn the Covered End down that day? I was only 7 but have a vague memory or rumours going round that they had started fires under the stand!

I thought it was '77?
  • Richard J said:

I thought it was '77?
    Thanks , it probably was I didn't check before posting .