Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Space Exploration

Seeing that the Space Probe has landed on the Comet,how many think that its a waste of money all thats spent on Space Exploration,when we cannot even look after our own Planet.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Not a waste at all. Firstly knowledge and discovery is simply fascinating, but even from an "own planet" point of view lots of discoveries and inventions that aid every day life have come about because of the space programme. Then there's jobs, industry etc created.

Even if the vast sums weren't being spent on space exploration there wouldn't suddenly be more money to spend on looking after this planet. And seeing as the vast majority of humans are self centred idiots, even if more money was spent it's unlikely to make a difference any time soon.
  • Space... the final frontier... these are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, to seek out new life and new civilisation... to boldly go where no man has gone before!!
  • We waste money on far more pointless things
  • Space... the final frontier... these are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, to seek out new life and new civilisation... to boldly go where no man ONE has gone before!!

Showing yer age there mucca!
  • I hope it yields valuable results, but just to have landed there is an incredible achievement and a huge step forward for space exploration.
    The costs involved would make little difference to this planet, struggling to control with human over-population.
  • edited November 2014
    Will landing on a comet cure cancer or Ebola? No, so money should spent more wisely.
  • Space exploration and colonisation is the long term solution to just about every problem we face a civilisation you can think of.

To have something in space for long periods and to have humans in space for long periods would need efficient renewable energy. Which is something I think we all agree is something we need. Every day items come from the NASA missions. Heavy spending on NASA also has a correlation with growth in the us economy. Coincidence?
  • Space... the final frontier... these are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise, to seek out new life and new civilisation... to boldly go where no man ONE has gone before!!

Showing yer age there mucca!
    Garh... So close
  • Sponsored links:

• Waste of money, totally. Like the original poster said, we can't sort the problems out on this planet so why spend money going to other planets. Isn't ruining this one enough?

• And besides. We need the space programmes so when we've finished over populating and fucking this planet up we can move on to overpopulate and fuck another one up.
  • A lot of the technology that we now take for granted, came about through being developed and used in space programs.

• Waste of money, totally. Like the original poster said, we can't sort the problems out on this planet so why spend money going to other planets. Isn't ruining this one enough?

Not a planet.

So how would you spend the money to save our planet. A macro overview will surfice.

As I said there are things on this planet that you might prioritise as being far more important. But I guarantee you, NASA and the European Space Agency do not spend money for the sake of just having a little wander up to Jupiter and back. To say it is a total waste of money is well wide of the mark. Space exploration has improved human understanding exponentially. I don't think I need to say more than the comet/asteroid example above. Would you rather we left it to chance that the odd city size rock doesn't strike earth.

To say it's a total waste of money is the equivalent of me saying, do you know what, there's only 6 white rhinoceros left in the world, we don't really need them why waste any money trying to conserve them. It's pretty ludicrous to have that approach IMO.

• Jayajosh said:

Will landing on a comet cure cancer or Ebola? No, so money should spent more wisely.

It seems the medical world is aided by the space programme. A quick search throws up this site and I'm sure a more in-depth search would say more....

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/nasa-inventions/nasa-breakthroughs-in-medicine.htm
  • Research on this comet may well help explain how life emerged on our planet, which may help us if we need to find a new planet once this one has had its resources exhausted.

More importantly, knowing more about comets is quite likely to save us when the one with our name on heads our way. Just ask the dinosaurs.
  • Would take a pretty miserable person to look up at Neil Armstrong landing on the moon and grumble about the expense that it cost.

I think things like this are great, and we should be doing everything we can to discover new things about the universe we live in. Might help us with understanding our own planet a little better.
  • Would take a pretty miserable person to look up at Neil Armstrong landing on the moon and grumble about the expense that it cost.

I think things like this are great, and we should be doing everything we can to discover new things about the universe we live in. Might help us with understanding our own planet a little better.

Come on, it was twenty dollars petrol money to the Nevada Desert ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

Waste of money, totally. Like the original poster said, we can't sort the problems out on this planet so why spend money going to other planets. Isn't ruining this one enough?

Not a planet.

So how would you spend the money to save our planet. A macro overview will surfice.

This planet is beyond saving. The Illuminati are seeing to that.
  • cabbles said:

@Derek1952‌ I get why you might think that initially what with the state of certain things on earth, however, it is completely not a waste in any way.

First of all, take basic human nature. Can you imagine if we just sat idly by and looked up at the night sky and just didn't even question it. Or if we did question it, try to find out about it then stopped. We have a hunger to question and understand, and space is pretty much the biggest thing to question.

Secondly, everything we explore in space is to help is back on earth. The obvious one. Comets, asteroids and NEOs. We need to know which of these fuckers is head on for a collision course with us if we don't want to go the way of the dinosaurs.

The planets. Mars once had an atmosphere (well one more robust than it does today). It had water and probably supported life (i use the term broadly). We need to understand why and what happened there for numerous reasons. You've got Titan (moon) orbiting Saturn with ice. Deep down that could also support life.

Without space exploration we may not have a better understanding of solar flares from the sun. In the age we live in, an extreme solar storm could knock out pretty much all the power grids on earth and the electricity that goes with it. No access to Charlton Life. No Football League Show. Food supply chains gone.

The moon affects the tides here on earth, we need to know that relationship and as much as we can about the earth's orbit in relation to its tilt on its axis etc.

There's too much, I could go on, dark matter, gravitational pull of black holes, quasars, pulsars etc. everything in this universe is interlinked. Everything is made of matter (observable universe). What we know of space helps us develop new technology on earth.

Space has the building blocks of what makes you and I, to not want to know as much about it as possible is IMO not an option.

I genuinely don't mean to come across so strong, but I have a passion for all this stuff

And if they can find princess leah in that skimpy outfit, it's a bonus.
  • cabbles said:

@Derek1952‌ I get why you might think that initially what with the state of certain things on earth, however, it is completely not a waste in any way.

First of all, take basic human nature. Can you imagine if we just sat idly by and looked up at the night sky and just didn't even question it. Or if we did question it, try to find out about it then stopped. We have a hunger to question and understand, and space is pretty much the biggest thing to question.

Secondly, everything we explore in space is to help is back on earth. The obvious one. Comets, asteroids and NEOs. We need to know which of these fuckers is head on for a collision course with us if we don't want to go the way of the dinosaurs.

The planets. Mars once had an atmosphere (well one more robust than it does today). It had water and probably supported life (i use the term broadly). We need to understand why and what happened there for numerous reasons. You've got Titan (moon) orbiting Saturn with ice. Deep down that could also support life.

Without space exploration we may not have a better understanding of solar flares from the sun. In the age we live in, an extreme solar storm could knock out pretty much all the power grids on earth and the electricity that goes with it. No access to Charlton Life. No Football League Show. Food supply chains gone.

The moon affects the tides here on earth, we need to know that relationship and as much as we can about the earth's orbit in relation to its tilt on its axis etc.

There's too much, I could go on, dark matter, gravitational pull of black holes, quasars, pulsars etc. everything in this universe is interlinked. Everything is made of matter (observable universe). What we know of space helps us develop new technology on earth.

Space has the building blocks of what makes you and I, to not want to know as much about it as possible is IMO not an option.

I genuinely don't mean to come across so strong, but I have a passion for all this stuff

And if they can find princess leah in that skimpy outfit, it's a bonus.
    No science fiction for me, only fact. Never seen Star Wars, and I would've preferred an hour and half documentary on gravity as opposed to the film with Clooney and Bullock ;-)
  • edited November 2014
    Why ?

That would be my simple question.

If we find a cure for cancer out there then brilliant but otherwise it seems a luxury.

Edit - not to say that it isn't impressive and wonderful stuff and I awe at the achievement .
  • In the space park (in Florida) there are various rockets NASA have launched over the years, pretty impressive as individuals let alone grouped together. One of these is a mock up of a space shuttle which you view via a ramped walk way. This walk way has information notice boards all the way up and on them it lists new materials, products, discovery's etc which NASA has given the world often for free.
    Worth a visit.
  • I certainly opened a can of worms with that post.I thank you all for your reply,s and thoughts.
  • It's a merry-go-round conversation of how money should be spent.

People saying that the money spent by and on NASA should be used for cancer/ebola research, well, you could say why are Russian and other millionaires spending extortionate amounts of money on football teams when they could be using there money on researching cures for cancer/ebola.
  • My take on this question.

The problems in the world are not caused by money not being available for healthcare, medical research and all good morally and ethically sound activity. There is more than enough 'wealth' (however you measure that after all money is a man made construct) - the problems lie in political expediency.

That aside, and as others have commented, the technological and medical developments over the past 100 years have spun-off immeasurable benefits for mankind as a whole - but I agree that not all of mankind has benefited equally (politics again).

We ask the seemingly impossible questions and seek out the answers because we can (or we believe we can) - because we know of no other way. It's a fundamental part of being human.