Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watching Football at Canary Wharf

Is the Cat & Canary the only place to watch football on tv at Canary Wharf?

Dont really know the area very well so open to suggestions. Ta muchly.

Comments

• Slug & Lettuce (I think) shows it - it's the pub opposite the Tube if you come out by JP Morgan - it's the pub under the Reuters vidiprinter thing
  • Too close to the Millwall Docks for my liking.
  • edited September 2014
    Slug has the football on mate, but will have music on as well, so if you want to listen to commentary I'd go elsewhere.
  • Nah mate, you're out of luck;

You may be able to catch a few lads having a kick about on the green by the tube station, but you're probably going to see North Greenwich depending on cloud cover. You're best getting a ticket for B Block, only £15.
  • The Cat is probably the best place to watch football as they've got a few screens in there . The slug & lettuce has a TV but its behind the bar
  • Ta. Ended up in the Cat again last night. Am surprised there isnt a proper Sports bar anywhere in the area.
  • The North Pole. Down the stairs opposite the Brittania hotel (South Quay).
  • The North Pole. Down the stairs opposite the Brittania hotel (South Quay).

Its closed now apparently.

• Good one next to Crossharbour DLR.
    Two stops from Canary Wharf?
    At least it is away from the main crowd.
  • LuckyReds said:

Nah mate, you're out of luck;

You may be able to catch a few lads having a kick about on the green by the tube station, but you're probably going to see North Greenwich depending on cloud cover. You're best getting a ticket for B Block, only £15.

You can play in the shed in that photo. Good 5 a side venue until they slap flats on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• The George @ Crossharbour
  • edited September 2014
    jamescafc said:

The George @ Crossharbour

I was in there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was for my Uncle's Wake.

So much history on the Island, my family on both sides, worked in the docks and lived on it or just to the North, in Poplar. My christening party was in The Gun.

Being born in Eltham after my parents moved, I missed out on all the characters and stories (i.e dockers that kept monkeys from the boats in their back yard, the women with 19 children or being caught in a 'bridger' trying to get off the Island) but sounded a fantastic community.

I should have made more visits over the years as now all that industry and most of those people and pubs are gone.

Anyway, The George still exists at least and has some great historical photos on the wall.

RIP Uncle Danny x

• Working around Whitechapel and Mile End, a lot of my work colleagues live on the Island or were originally from the Island and I swear its such a small community that everyone knows everyone else. Its beyond freaky.