Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ryman Premier - Margate v Maidstone United

Top of the table clash drew 2,300 last night when Margate's three preivious Tuesday night crowds were 560, 562 and 570.

Maidstone (we) must have taken about 600 minimum with an hours journey and traffic works not helping the journey.

What an amazing crowd for the Ryman Premier – that’s conference level support!! And to take 600+ away on a Tuesday night at that level (7th tier) is nothingh short of phenomenal!!

Shame we lost 1-0 but a great advert for non-league and shows why no other nation in the world can compare with our love and dedication to football.

Comments

• Bloody heck... How big is their Ground if they had 560,562 fans there? ;)
  • Ive played against Maidstone a few times, now they do have 'special' fans!!
  • edited September 2014
    Thought there was only one massive club (560,562 attendance).... Are margate the southern massives??
  • I take it that's a negative 'special' mate? If so every club as it's knobs and the law of averages would suggest we have more than most at that level.
  • Amended for the smart arses ;-)
  • I take it that's a negative 'special' mate? If so every club as it's knobs and the law of averages would suggest we have more than most at that level.

Yeah, i just remember getting loads of stick playing at right back. I thought it was a bit strong for Non-League football but they seem to really love their club!!!
  • That's what I like about non league - the stick and interaction between fans and players (as long as it doesn't overstep the mark obviously).

I just love £10 on the gate, you don't have to plan it months in advance, packed terrace full of all ages, good relentless atmosphere, beer on the terraces.

All the things that attract youngsters to football. A lot of kids there last night probably couldn't see a thing but they were standing and loving the atmosphere - a pure un-sanatised football experience.
  • That's what I like about non league - the stick and interaction between fans and players (as long as it doesn't overstep the mark obviously).

I just love £10 on the gate, you don't have to plan it months in advance, packed terrace full of all ages, good relentless atmosphere, beer on the terraces.

All the things that attract youngsters to football. A lot of kids there last night probably couldn't see a thing but they were standing and loving the atmosphere - a pure un-sanatised football experience.

Its real Football though isnt it... Is the closest you'll ever get to how it was before the Premier League came along (My mate is a Welling supporter and the amount of times he says to me that he met X player in the bar after the game) - Really is a lovely long way from the corporate jungle that the top Divisions are these days
  • When playing in the Kent League, Maidstone would be the game every team wanted to play against as they would bring 500+ fans to each game. I remember going to places like Lordswood who would normally have 40-50 per home game and see the ground jam packed.
    Maidstones home attendance is somewhere around the 1400 mark, which isnt bad when you consider they were not playing home games at home for years and missed a generation of fans like Charlton
  • cafckev said:

When playing in the Kent League, Maidstone would be the game every team wanted to play against as they would bring 500+ fans to each game. I remember going to places like Lordswood who would normally have 40-50 per home game and see the ground jam packed.
    Maidstones home attendance is somewhere around the 1400 mark, which isnt bad when you consider they were not playing home games at home for years and missed a generation of fans like Charlton

When Charlton played their first game of the season @ Brentford I was away with my other half for her Birthday (took her to dinner at the Malta Inn at Spalding if anyone knows it)... Decided go to for a walk alongside the Medway into town and because their ground backs on to the path could hear the Maidstone fans in full voice (Probably cos they were winning), certainly sounded like a fair few were there
  • Sponsored links:

• Think that is about the average this year Forever! Can certinally hit 2k plus for big games and I expect NYD against Tonbridge will be a sell out.

That said I usually find the home support a bit muted, but away from home is always fantastic.
  • That's what I like about non league - the stick and interaction between fans and players (as long as it doesn't overstep the mark obviously)

same for the reserves when playing at Park View Road. Can't remember who he was playing for but I shouted at Cascarino that he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo to which he replied 'shut up fatty' ! Also remember Robert Fleck wandering over to the touchline and having a swig from someone's can of beer with the game still going on behind him. He was a really good laugh. Mate also got called a rude word by Collymore after giving him grief. Those were the days.

• That's a great crowd. There are five teams in the Scottish Championship and one in their Premiership that would be jealous of that level of support.
  • cafckev said:

When playing in the Kent League, Maidstone would be the game every team wanted to play against as they would bring 500+ fans to each game. I remember going to places like Lordswood who would normally have 40-50 per home game and see the ground jam packed.

Thats what i remember. It was at their smaller London Road ground, I must have been 16/17 and playing for Phoenix Sports and Maidstone were in Kent County Prem, so around 14 years ago.
  • Think that is about the average this year Forever! Can certinally hit 2k plus for big games and I expect NYD against Tonbridge will be a sell out.

That said I usually find the home support a bit muted, but away from home is always fantastic.

Is that because of how the Ground is built though... I've never been to Maidstone but find with Welling (especially that because their two ends dont have a roof) then the sound the fans are making seem really pathetic

Remember going to one Conference match last season (may have been Grimsby) and the away fans in the Erith and Belvedere stand (Cant have been more than 20 of them) where making a good bit of noise
  • edited September 2014
    Maidstones ground is a joy to visit with plenty of scope to develop in the short to medium term. Good bunch of fans too. Often pop into the Flower Pot pub near the ground ( CAMRA kent pub of the year three years running and a gem) after returning from Chalton home games and its full of them. I do like to point out to them that my season in A Block costs fifty quid less than theirs!

Doing really well this year and getting a fantastic average gate. Worth taking in a game.
  • Both will go up will go up with ease, but both spend the dough.

Margate have a certain striker on 4 figures ffs
  • JT said:

Both will go up will go up with ease, but both spend the dough.

The difference being Maidstone bring in around £10k more than Margate every home game through gate reciepts. Margate are just being bankrolled by someone which is not sustainable in the long term.