Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fulham & Magath

Unbelievable stuff coming out of Fulham. Makes Dowie seem normal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/20/fulham-farewell-magath-felix-madcap

Interesting about Parker: "Another [story] comes from this season when two of Fulham’s first-year pros turned up late for training and Magath fined them so heavily it led to a meeting of the club’s senior players to decide how to take him on.

Eventually, the captain, Scott Parker, went to see him and tried to argue that the amount of money involved was not really fair for two teenagers on relatively low salaries. Parker explained there was a legitimate reason why they had been late and did his polite best to make it clear the punishment was disproportionate to the crime. Magath refused to budge. “They need to be taught a lesson,” he said. Parker – a class act – ended up paying the fines.

Comments

• Not such a greedy little c#nt in his old age then!
  • How Parker has changed.
    Remember when he was banging on curbs door with his hair still wet demanding a move to Chelsea .
    Straight after the Chelsea game as well, I think!
    Remember when he was banging on curbs door with his hair still wet demanding a move to Chelsea .

To be honest, while I will always hate the way Parker went about getting his move, I have to say fair play to him on this one. It's a genuinely decent gesture though the fact it was even necessary says an awful lot about Fulham. I can see them replicating our fall from grace, but not the Lazarean resurrection afterwards!
  • edited September 2014
    When Magath turned up, his battle plan seemed to be to bully the players and work them so hard that "they would cry". From what people say they ended up dying off in games through sheer exhaustion. How he won titles in the past amazes me.
  • edited September 2014
    It was not straight after the Chelsea game. He played outstandingly against Chelsea and as a result they made a bid soon after. Parker claims he had a gentlemans agreement with Murray that when he signed his contract extension in the previous summer, if a big club came in for him, he would be advised by the club. That did not happen and was the route of his dispute with the club. Dunno if that is true or not but in subsequent years some of the things that have come out of the club have been spun to put the club in better light. Airman has consistently questioned Murray's integrity. Like Defoe, Parker may have been greedy but the club are unlikely to have been as squeaky clean as they make out.
  • edited September 2014
    Agree with Kap, no I'll feelings towards Parker from me one of THE best home grown players in over half a century of supporting. As I've said before, a supporters view with the love or hate switch ready to be flicked in an instant, is different than if he were your flesh and blood. Same goes for Poyet so get what earnings you can when you can in a short career that can end in a flash. Well done Scotty for stepping up to the plate.
  • Kap10 said:

It was not straight after the Chelsea game. He played outstandingly against Chelsea and as a result they made a bid soon after. Parker claims he had a gentlemans agreement with Murray that when he signed his contract extension in the previous summer, if a big club came in for him, he would be advised by the club. That did not happen and was the route of his dispute with the club. Dunno if that is true or not but in subsequent years some of the things that have come out of the club have been spun to put the club in better light. Airman has consistently questioned Murray's integrity. Like Defoe, Parker may have been greedy but the club are unlikely to have been as squeaky clean as they make out.

I have always believed that the club put out a story that suited them. I know that curbs was heard to say at the club's Xmas party that if he wanted money he would sell Parker.

The Wolves home game not Chelsea
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:

He may prove me wrong but I very much doubt that Airman will support your own spin on this particular affair.

You may also be aware that if a player has a contract, the club is not obliged to sell him just because another club comes sniffing around. The club has a right to expect that the player continues to honour his contract and does not threaten to refuse to play.

My own information - and I challenge you to state how you know better - is that no one - no one - at CAFC wished to sell Parker. In Martin Simons' case it nearly came to a matter of physically enforcing that message! Furthermore there were a lot of disgusting tricks by Chelsea, including getting the ever -compliant Sun to run false stories about a deal having been done, which I complained to the PCC about.

I think you simply have no idea what kind of man Roman Abramovic is. Parker? Just another kid who gets greedy. If he has grown up, good for him. But he missed two of the best years of his football life sitting on the bench at Chelsea and enriching the bookies of Esher.

• edited September 2014

Kap10 said:

But he missed two of the best years of his football life sitting on the bench at Chelsea and enriching the bookies of Esher.

I bet he is really gutted about that with all his millions in the bank. :-0
  • RedChaser said:

Kap10 said:

But he missed two of the best years of his football life sitting on the bench at Chelsea and enriching the bookies of Esher.

He would have led Charlton into Europe and broken into the England squad. If he doesn't regret that, then he is indeed a knob.
    That crystal ball you have must be worth a fortune itself Prague, haven't got this week's lottery numbers have you by any chance. :-)
  • Sounds like your typical old school manager which doesn't always work these days.

Same sort of player disapproval happened with us under Sannino.
  • edited September 2014
    RedChaser said:

Kap10 said:

He would have led Charlton into Europe and broken into the England squad. If he doesn't regret that, then he is indeed a knob.
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Kap10 said:

That crystal ball you have must be worth a fortune itself Prague, haven't got this week's lottery numbers have you by any chance. :-)
    ha. Never won at the bookies in my life, thats why I don't do it. But I still believe what I wrote, and furthermore, I believe that the Great Decline started there. Up until that point I think RM and co really believed they could take Charlton a long way with sensible stewardship. Indeed, the other Premiership owners were just showing signs of coming to their senses, until a long came Abramovic to twist the whole spiral upwards and with added nastiness. I think a light went out in our board's collective brains then. That is why I don't like Parker but utterly loath Abramovic and wish him nothing but ill (and that before the things I've learnt about him recently, which are not repeatable here)

Ah. Taking threads away from, etc..sorry. Couldn't let Kap's comment stand unchallenged.
  • Not very suprised (the cheese story is very funny nevertheless) as I always remember what he once said about his training methods: nobody has died in my training so why should I change how I train players?

Fulham should never have appointed him in the first place.
  • Kap10 said:

Except he didn't spend two years on the bench at Chelsea! He walked straight into a midfield playing Champions league football because of injury and loss of form of others at Chelsea. That summer he broke a bone in his foot and Ranieri was replaced by Mourinho who brought in his own midfield personnel and ideas. Parker was out for a few(?) months injured then didn't play and then went off to Newcastle in the summer of 2005. So six months playing, six months injured and six months stuck going nowhere under Mourinho.
    What is undeniable is that Parker spent six years 2005-11 playing at the wrong end of the table in relegation battles with Newcastle and West Ham before he shone in the Spurs side that challenged for the top four.
  • @seriously_red‌

From Wikipedia

Parker, who had been consistently linked with moves away from Charlton for several years, finally left the Valley on 30 January 2004 to join Chelsea on a four-and-a-half-year contract for a fee of £10 million[8] after a protracted and acrimonious transfer saga. Alan Curbishley, the Charlton manager, criticised his attitude following news of Chelsea's interest, accusing him of bad behaviour and saying that "...his conduct in training has not been what it should have been."[9] Parker was initially signed as cover for Claude Makélélé and Frank Lampard, but did not get too many chances to play in his preferred position. He scored his only goal for Chelsea against Portsmouth at Fratton Park.[10] At the end of the 2003–04 season Parker was named as the PFA Young Player of the Year.[11]

Following the summer signings of Arjen Robben, and Tiago Mendes, Parker's first team opportunities were extremely limited during the 2004–05 season. Although he found first team opportunities hard to come by at Chelsea, he was a regular starter in Chelsea's League Cup matches, a competition where he played in 3 consecutive victories against West Ham,[12] Newcastle[13] and Fulham.[14] His problems were compounded when he broke a metatarsal bone in a game against his former club, Norwich City.

(He broke his foot in late December 2004, not the summer).
  • I always felt Curbs didn't really want to get into Europe because of the extra games. One year Murray put a kind of health warning out on the OS about how the UEFA cup didn't have the same money as the champions league etc, basically saying it was more trouble than it was worth. It all makes financial sense perhaps, but as a fan you'd love to have had a crack at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014
    I'd love it if Parker shared his feelings on the matter (with the benefit of hindsight) some time..and maybe he will some day. I, along with many others, would have held no grudge if he'd said "I want Champions League football in 2004-5, so transfer me if Cafc don't qualify at the end of this season" (2003-4).

It was the timing that really irked....he must have known at the time that his departure would derail our season.
  • @redlanered‌

That's exactly how I felt, and like you, I would love to have that put to him and see how he answers it.

If he had said that, Charlton could have put plans in place for whatever transpired. I also remember what @Big William recalls about the UEFA cup, but I think we would have had good crowds at The Valley because of the novelty. And it was a cup then, we could have drawn a big name. Either way he would have left us in a way which allowed all concerned to behave and plan in a mature way. Also if we had finished in a UEFA league place that season we would have pocketed something like £5m more in Sky money which would have paid for another quality signing that summer.

As a footballer I still like him, and believe he would have had a significant role to play for England if he'd made better choices.
  • edited September 2014

I'd love it if Parker shared his feelings on the matter (with the benefit of hindsight) some time..and maybe he will some day. I, along with many others, would have held no grudge if he'd said "I want Champions League football in 2004-5, so transfer me if Cafc don't qualify at the end of this season" (2003-4).

It was the timing that really irked....he must have known at the time that his departure would derail our season.

We didn't get relegated though did we and Muzza had £10m? to play with. Lots more water went under the bridge thereafter so I just can't get the animosity towards Parker others have. He gave us good service and some cracking memories to cherish and that's how I prefer to remember him. All the Europa league stuff is pure conjecture.
  • edited September 2014
    Cheese on your thigh injury!
  • RedChaser said:

We didn't get relegated though did we and Muzza had £10m? to play with. Lots more water went under the bridge thereafter so I just can't get the animosity towards Parker others have. He gave us good service and some cracking memories to cherish and that's how I prefer to remember him. All the Europa league stuff is pure conjecture.
    Well he didn't have that 10mill to play with that season because we fought bitterly to the final day of the window to keep him. The midfield spine of Parker-Kishishev - Jensen- di Canio was a brilliant balance of solidity and creative genius, and was just beginning to really gel. That would have been a match for any team. It was certainly more than a match for Chelsea on that Boxing Day.
  • RedChaser said:

Well he didn't have that 10mill to play with that season because we fought bitterly to the final day of the window to keep him. The midfield spine of Parker-Kishishev - Jensen- di Canio was a brilliant balance of solidity and creative genius, and was just beginning to really gel. That would have been a match for any team. It was certainly more than a match for Chelsea on that Boxing Day.
    Exactly. We were stuffed because we'd no time to get a replacement. And that season especially, the aim was far higher than not being relegated
  • RedChaser said:

Fair enough in which case I would question Muzza's judgement in trying to hang onto him and perhaps he should have let him go earlier so he could spend some of the £10m before the transfer window shut because once unsettled his transfer was inevitable. Maybe Muzza was playing brinkmanship to drive the price higher? Only he really knows despite the information you have been privy to. Whatever, the money was available to strengthen the team in the close season, whether it was spent wisely is another debate.

Potentially we could have made a Europa league place that season, but we'll never know will we and that is why I've never beaten myself up over it. The nature of his departure clearly still rankles with you and many others but it didn't then and doesn't with me now. Highly unlikely to happen but If he ever re-signed for us I'd welcome him with open arms and won't be abusing him if plays against us for Fulham this season.
  • The Magath story is funny and fascinating. Why are we talking about Parker again.
  • We shouldn't be, Solly I'm out.
  • Ah Ok he was dropped in the pecking order before his injury but my point is he went for the money AND playing in Europe - and he then spent six years playing in the bottom half of the premier league, not the top half where he should have been.
    Sure he walked out on the best Charlton team many of us have ever seen and I wasn't too happy about that at the time but I moved on :) The thing is that Man Utd played the same game with Saha and Fulham that January so not just Abramovic...it happens all the time which is why M.Duchatelet is diversifying away from agents to reduce the need for transfer fees and paying inflationary contracts to secure players.
    Unfortunately the same thing will happen with Vetokele unless CAFC continues to move forwards at pace...except this time fans will complain about sacrificing play-off aspirations for a few million of transfer fee.

Whatever the issues of ten years ago Fulham made a poor call appointing Mcgath...many clubs make poor calls and as CAFC makes the right moves, we will catch up lost ground fairly quickly. What M.Duchatelet has done so far is great but it's also the easiest part! Taking the next steps to close the gap on the top six is going to cost more and risks alienating stakeholders. Some think change management is just a case of cheque book and new players....but it's more complex and the club will need a lot of support through this period. IMHO we have to be positive (as Katrien Meire has suggested) and I'm not sure where vilifying Parker, Abramovic or anyone else fits into that. Populist for sure but it doesn't move CAFC cause forward a single inch.