Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Typical Charlton Deadline Deadlock?

Well, deadline day came and went and the most significant news on the official site is that Pope and Harriott are going to Eltham - not to play in the Kent Invicta League, but to meet the Eltham Addicks. So, despite reports that Bob wanted more players and the fact that our squad list is a missing both a number 8 and a number 9 we have failed to land anyone on deadline day. The very public tug of war in which we lost out to Wigan was the closest we got to excitement as the deadline loomed. Zzzzzz.

I am perhaps being unfair to Frederic Bulot who signed on Saturday and who will presumably take one of the missing numbers, but a season long loan from elsewhere in the the Duchâtelet catalogue doesn't really get the pulse racing, does it? He may well be a very fine player and exactly what we need, I sincerely hope he is, but I just feel a little let down that we didn't get a prolific striker to supplement the squad. I realise that this season has seen some major upgrades to the squad, not least in Vetokele who is a very exciting prospect. I also recognise that it may be a healthy sign that the club is determined to live within its finances and won't be held to ransom.

Perhaps I'm being spoilt, but I do hanker for a last minute block-buster deal; something that would at least be worthy of the news-ticker if not having a yellow-shirted reporter standing in the car park. I can't remember the last time Charlton landed a big catch just before the window closed. It's quite possible that we haven't. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Comments

• Chunes said:

Yep agree with this^

To be honest I think we've f***** up. If we are serious about mounting a challenge in the upper reaches of the championship we desperately needed more fire power up top to ease the pressure on the emerging Vetokele who will suffer form and injuries throughout the season. We clearly had money to spend and put all our eggs in the Delort basket but that gamble of foolish brinkmanship obviously failed. We also appeared to have not had a plan `B' which was very disappointing....well we might of had one but if we did it too obviously failed so the result is the same.

I fear we may have just blown our top six chance....

At the start of the season we didn't know if we were serious about avoiding relegation. Now we're moaning that we don't seem serious about mounting a title challenge. Think we need to realign our expectations.
    Well my expectations are that this club gets back to the premier league and i'm sure RD is thinking the same.

Look, I'm really pleased with what RD has done so far and think we've acquired some cracking players, no doubt about it. We've had a great start to the season, unbeaten in the league and all that....and the team should improve with familiarity...but with another 15-20 goals a season striker I genuinely think we could be in the mix of a top six finish.
    Bottom line is we have money to spend...and we didn't spend it. We may have missed an opportunity here, thats all i'm saying.

• Chunes said:

Yep agree with this^

To be honest I think we've f***** up. If we are serious about mounting a challenge in the upper reaches of the championship we desperately needed more fire power up top to ease the pressure on the emerging Vetokele who will suffer form and injuries throughout the season. We clearly had money to spend and put all our eggs in the Delort basket but that gamble of foolish brinkmanship obviously failed. We also appeared to have not had a plan `B' which was very disappointing....well we might of had one but if we did it too obviously failed so the result is the same.

At the start of the season we didn't know if we were serious about avoiding relegation. Now we're moaning that we don't seem serious about mounting a title challenge. Think we need to realign our expectations.
    Pretty much what I said on the 'Deadline day transfer' thread last night, good start undefeated albeit with three away draws and two home wins. BB has made good progress to date probably a little bit ahead of his first priority of 50 points and then we see where we go from there!
  • Would've liked to have signed a new striker but like others have said we didn't panic buy and we didn't lose any of our players either. If the midfielders start to pitch in with some goals it will ease the pressure. Not worried. Might change should vetokele get injured though
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree. We had money to spend. We tried to be clever over the Delort deal, took too long to tie it up when the player wanted to move, and ended up looking silly. All the time we needed more firepower to help out Igor up front.

I think the rest of the squad is ok and Bulot looks like adding more quality to the midfield dept.

But anyone who thinks we are not seriously light up front is delusional.

We had the money, players were moving (Becchio for example) who would have been an upgrade.

Should have done a lot better yesterday, but let's not forget the great work we did earlier in the summer.
  • edited September 2014
    Without fully knowing what the plan is/was and who our targets were/are then it's hard to really feel too strongly about it either way.

I think after the start we've had the club is in a situation where another strong centre forward could really push us into a top 6 side and we could think about playoffs/promotion. I just hope we haven't missed that opportunity.
  • se9addick said:

Would it have been better for us not to have signed Vetokele until 11pm yesterday just so we could have some excitement ? Realistically the hype that surrounds transfer deadline day is pretty much invented by Sky Sports, don't fall for it !

Of course you're right with you IV comment. If we'd have waited to sign him, there'd have been a risk that we wouldn't have got him and a certainly that he wouldn't have scored those five goals. I am all in favour of getting our signings in early wherever possible. Had Bob or someone else senior at the club been making comments that we've got the squad we want and aren't looking to do any business, I'd have accepted that, but that isn't the case.

I also agree with you're Sky comment. In fact when my son asked yesterday why they have a transfer deadline, the best answer I could come up with is that it gives Sky Sports two days of free scheduling per year. I'd like not to fall for it, but sucker that I am, I get hooked every time.
  • lancashire ladMember
    7:26AM
    and we didn't loose any of our younger players

Perhaps the biggest news of all.
  • Glad it's over to be honest. Can't stand deadline day with the ridiculous hype, Jim White shouting a lot and numerous panic buys. The dildo in the ear was funny though.

Yes a little disappointed we havent supplemented the squad with another striker but if the deals werent right then so be it. I doubt it was for the lack of trying. Lets see what the loan window brings us as there should be plenty of quality available.
  • I have a sneaking feeling that Zac Ansah might surprise us. Remember that when you stick real potential in amongst what looks like a lively front line up, the opportunity may be grabbed.
  • A signing like Yann a few years ago to really get the pulses racing would have been great as we all fear Igor the great getting crocked and having a lack of a decent plan B up top.

With midfield looking like a very strong area for us I just wonder if Big Bob might tinker with a 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 to get the best out of the squad if we lose a couple on the trot.
  • I definitely got caught up in the whole deadline day excitement just waiting and hoping to hear we've got a replacement for Delort etc. On reflection, I think we've done some really good business this summer and I also believe the club were working hard to bring the players in they wanted, but for whatever reason it hasn't materialised.

The Delort saga hasn't helped. I was excited to think we were getting him, then it became a farce. I still think we're balancing targets with FFP, which I'm actually pleased about. RD hasn't pushed the panic button. Truth is, none of us know what goes on on deadline day. Numerous rumours, conjecture etc. We've had a good start. BP is probably looking at that squad and wanting to balance the morale of those who have started the season well, with players that can come in and make a difference. Yes we are light up front, but I expect the loan market to address this. I genuinely think the whole media circus on deadline day feeds into the psyche of the fans and they start to worry and fret if their club has done no business. We've got the media to thank for that. They make you feel like you should be wearing this or looking like a size zero etc in things like fashion for women. So they definitely have the power to whip up feelings of frustration and fear of missing out, by tugging on the affections of the average football fan
  • Someone will get Borini on loan till January as he is well down the pecking order at Liverpool. Be interesting where he goes
  • Sponsored links:

• We do need another forward and the club have acknowledged that.The breakdown of the Delort transfer and the soap opera surrounding it were probably due to a raft of extraneous factors outside our control. The management and the board had a valuation of the player (fee and wages) and were right not to significantly depart from it. Wigan are in receipt of parachute money, have just sold their best midfielder for 7 million and probably feel that they have to get promoted this season, failing which, they'll start sliding down. Our medium and longer term prospects are better.

A lot of good business was done early in the window and there was no need to get involved in a trolley dash; quite the contrary, especially after a decent start. I expect we'll have a look at the loan market to plug a short term need and, in the meantime, keep looking for good young talent who fit the profile the club is after.
  • I'm not so worried about missing out on any excitement / glamour, just a bit disappointed we've not fully completed the summer programme as we hoped.

The Number 9 shirt was left six weeks ago to be filled, and in that six weeks plans A, B, C, D, E etc for that squad addition have been unsuccessful.

Going by the Delort saga, its clear the club wasn't looking for a back up freebie, but willing to pay decent funds for a 1st XI impacting striker. That opens up a hell of lot more opportunities as very few clubs can do that. The fact the club have been reportedly trying hard, yet been unsuccessful is disappointing when others have been able to.

As it currently stands, our forward options are

- A very good hitman
    - A line leader the jury is currently out on
    - A player who has performed poorly so far and could probably benefit from a fresh start elsewhere
    - A youngster who desperately needs a lower league loan to get games

Good seasons are had by squads not first XIs. There has undoubtedly been some very good business done over the summer as part of the rebuilding, but we look light up front. This of course may be addressed in the loan window, but I would much rather we had the player on board and integrating now.

excellent post, spot on.
  • Chunes said:

Yep agree with this^

Spot on.
  • We've made a very decent start this season but IMO one problem stands out - the ball is not sticking up front.

We are lacking the player who can play with his back to goal, strong, decent touch and able to hold the ball under pressure and bring team mates into the game.

And it would be handy if he was a physical presence in the air, both in attacking play and defending set pieces.

Tucadean might be the future and seems the only player who seems able to do the job, but he's been patchy to say the least and invariably only playing parts of matches.

The answer will have to be in the loan market, I guess ....... but it would be handy to pick up an experienced Championship warhorse. He'd add another option to our play, certainly a Plan B.

• edited September 2014
    Stig said:

Perhaps I'm being spoilt, but I do hanker for a last minute block-buster deal; something that would at least be worthy of the news-ticker if not having a yellow-shirted reporter standing in the car park. I can't remember the last time Charlton landed a big catch just before the window closed. It's quite possible that we haven't. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Not spoilt, but I think we have to go back to Andy Hunt in 1999 for the last time we had a 10 goal a season striker at this level. I'm not sure I ever remember us having two at the same time. We now have one, and even though an injury to him would be difficult, by definition, you have to have one to worry about him not playing - a luxury we've not had for a long time.

Compared to last season, I think we'll be in the same boat if Vetokele is injured, except that George could be better than everything else we had. The Kermorgant love in aside, we didn't have anyone that managed to score many goals last season, at all.

I hate the transfer deadline day rubbish. Sure Man Utd have signed Falcao but they have two points from their opening three games and they are out of one of the two cups they are competing in this season - I know they don't care about that. If they'd had any clue of what they were doing they would have concluded this deal six weeks ago and maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't now be four points behind the Champions League places and two teams that finished 20 and 22 points above them last season. And they needed to ask for an Extension from the League as they weren't ready in time. How incompetent can these people be?

We missed our first choice target, which is a disappointment, but I'm with those that believe that if Wigan don't go up this season then his wages will become a burden and, unless he scores a hat-full of goals, they will be looking to move him on on the cheap.

My best guess is that out Plan B would have been a Premier League loan and they don't usually get done until the loan window as the better players are not released until after the window and the clubs know what they have spare.
  • Thing is oggster we are only five games in we dont really know enough about any of them yet, it's a new club new mgr for most once that wears off around Xmas time then we will know and another window opens
  • Agree with most of the posts in here. I'll put my hands up though and say I fell for the deadline day buzz.

I think everyone just got a bit excited that we could be contenders with an extra signing. Realistically I'd be happy with a decent placement and keeping the squad we have now for next season and adding more.

• We are not just limited to loans. Players currently without contracts can still be signed, and there are some very good players in this category. Further, looking at how large some squads have become, some players may agree to have existing contracts cancelled in order that they can sign permanently elsewhere.
  • Have to say I totally agree with the opening comments. Like all fans, we do have to be a bit realistic....

...But we are Charlton. We seem to always have 1 or 2 long terms injuries which then becomes our excuse for under-performing, and there is huge pressure on these players to recover, lift the squad and turn results around. We are thin on the ground. We are already heavily reliant on Igor to get our goals. What if he gets injured?

2 or 3 injuries and a suspension or 2 and we will starting games with a few young and in-experienced players, which, if we are aiming for a promotion challenge, will not help us.

I have a feeling, however, that there may yet be a few more 'loan' deals via 'the network'......