Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

points on your licence 4-11 years to come off

edited January 2008 in Not Sports Related
anyone know if this is a recent change? I thought it was 3 years.

:(

Comments

• No 4 years always, and 5 years for insurance companies! Always been 4 i know i have had 13 points on my license in the last 10 years!!
  • Depends how you look at it and who you are.

Points last for 3 years, so if you got caught speeding 3 times in say January 2000 by Febuary 2003 you get caught again you would be back to 3 points, however I'm led to believe you can pay to have them physically taken off your license.

However insurance companies take the view that they stay on for bloody ever!!
  • I think a 3 pts penalty is valid for 3 years but stay on your licence for 4 years.
    Drink / drive stays for 10 years.
  • http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/EndorsementsAndDisqualifications/DG_10022425

deffo says 4

:)
  • 4 years on licence... you can then pay DVLA to have them removed... think it's about £20

5 years on insurance "Have you had any convictions in the last 5 years" is the standard question
  • I just told everyone, its 4 years i tell thee, i have had more points come off my license than most have had on them!! 4 years i tell thee.
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]4 years on licence... you can then pay DVLA to have them removed... think it's about £20

5 years on insurance "Have you had any convictions in the last 5 years" is the standard question

The Insurance thing is to do with the "Rehabilitation of Offenders" Act and "spent" convictions not being a future impediment. Insurance Companies are not permitted by the act to differentiate/discriminate against offenders who's offence is regarded as "spent" and 5 years the period for Motoring Offences.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]I just told everyone, its 4 years i tell thee, i have had more points come off my license than most have had on them!! 4 years i tell thee.

MCS is correct ( ish)

They count for 3 years but you can only have them removed after 4.

Oh and if you move you are required to tell DVLA so never pay to have points removed, i've just got my (only ever) 3 points off for free that way.

Happy B/Day btw MCS