Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton - Post Match Thread 2014/15

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Uboat said:

1StevieG said:

Got down to the ground earuly parking in the University car park and met up with a couple Brighton fans who took us into Dicks bar .

Dicks bar? Are they having a laugh?
    Named after the previous chairman Richard 'Dick' Knight. Decent beer, food and facilities only let down by the poor service behind the bar.
  • The problem with a manager rushing on the pitch at the end, admonishing his defender and keeper, is that he wants to kick every ball. He could end up like Barry Fry: rushing down the touchline, waving his arms in love with Southend, lamenting players who lost for Birmingham Titty, and having a heart-attack on the sofa of breakfast TV in East Anglia.

Our players are far better than that. Look at how well we played against Derby two weeks ago. We did it with aggression, invention, sharpness - and intelligence. This is our benchmark: we proved to Maclaren - an ex-England manager, don't forget - that our midfield completely defused any of Derby's idea of getting forward, let alone actually getting in to the box for a chance.

With our toughness and experience, our technical skills - our spatial awareness needs improving, exemplified by our catatonic throw-ins - there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't frighten the bloody life out of every single team in the league this season.

Yeh, yeh, but what the hell are they doing at Sparrows Lane in respect of defending set pieces? ;-)

• If it only happened once in the game I reckon Big Bob would have been more sanguine, but it happened twice. In those circumstances I reckon Bob has a case, and the defence has a case to answer.
  • seth plum said:

I feel for Jordan Cousins because 90% of our fans would agree that wide left is not his best position. Jordan needs a bit of looking after in these circumstances, and ought not end up feeling unfairly 'used' in some way.

I think after the international break, either Moussa or Bulot will play wide left, I would like to see Cousins replace JJ, but it will not happen yet
  • vffvff
    edited August 2014
  • Posting without reading
    First live game of the season for me and my son keeps his record up having not seen us win away , I did warn him as we entered injury time a point would still be good !

Despite buying the seats early on in the sales I had a right shit view , row D by the corner flag , far too flat down there so my "view" on things doesn't carry the weight it usually would !

Vetokele is different gravy , a class above and if he is with us at the start of next season I'll be more than pleased , my description of him to mates of other teams is "the best striker outside the prem"
    Bikey and TBH done better than I'd expected against a fluid but not too penetrative mobile Brighton attack but for someone to be 6ft 8 and score both Brightons goals is not good
    One great stop from Henderson straight after our first but at the end of the match looked like BBB was berating him on the pitch , possibly for not coming and clearing things up during the attack for Brightons late equaliser
    Thought the midfield were shit today completely bypassed and over run at times , I haven't seen the possession stats but don't think we had much of the ball
    Countless times Buyens and Cousins (sheff utd like performance) gave the ball away cheaply and Gudmundsson looks better than what he delivers
    Tucadean was utter chuff and being subbed at ht for the Sponge tells you all you need to know about that first half performance.

Overall I thought a point was a right touch because on the day I thought we were , Vetokele apart , guff and I don't think Brighton played that well either thankfully .
    Scum goin above us hurts as does palace scoring late on.

0% top two.........7% 3rd-6th.......... 45% 7th-12th.........48% 13th-21st......... 0% Relegation

There's them percentages again oohaah, but still you won't allude to how they are arrived at
  • cabbles said:

Posting without reading
    First live game of the season for me and my son keeps his record up having not seen us win away , I did warn him as we entered injury time a point would still be good !

Despite buying the seats early on in the sales I had a right shit view , row D by the corner flag , far too flat down there so my "view" on things doesn't carry the weight it usually would !

Vetokele is different gravy , a class above and if he is with us at the start of next season I'll be more than pleased , my description of him to mates of other teams is "the best striker outside the prem"
    Bikey and TBH done better than I'd expected against a fluid but not too penetrative mobile Brighton attack but for someone to be 6ft 8 and score both Brightons goals is not good
    One great stop from Henderson straight after our first but at the end of the match looked like BBB was berating him on the pitch , possibly for not coming and clearing things up during the attack for Brightons late equaliser
    Thought the midfield were shit today completely bypassed and over run at times , I haven't seen the possession stats but don't think we had much of the ball
    Countless times Buyens and Cousins (sheff utd like performance) gave the ball away cheaply and Gudmundsson looks better than what he delivers
    Tucadean was utter chuff and being subbed at ht for the Sponge tells you all you need to know about that first half performance.

Overall I thought a point was a right touch because on the day I thought we were , Vetokele apart , guff and I don't think Brighton played that well either thankfully .

0% top two.........7% 3rd-6th.......... 45% 7th-12th.........48% 13th-21st......... 0% Relegation

There's them percentages again oohaah, but still you won't allude to how they are arrived at
    It's just something he does and has done for years. It's his opinion about where he thinks we're most likely going to end up at the end of the season ffs stop being so busy
  • cabbles said:

Posting without reading

He doesn't have to explain. He just knows.

• On the game ,well think you were lucky to be fair (reasonable opening gambit. but then)
    we basically murdered you (aah right, yes. Of course you did)
    , but 'lost' ( 'yay' .Eh? ;-)
    to the only time you attacked by a very good forward.(Fancy that - a striker doing the job he's paid to do, oblivious to the fact he's being murdered)
    We need to
    Be able to
    Break down teams who put 10 men behind the ball (Okay. Oh right, you mean like Charlton?)

Sorry mate, I'm being tongue in cheek, but you do sound a little like you've swallowed sour grapes.

• Sponsored links:

• Who was the absolute knob in C Block who came along with a load of songs he had clearly written in his bedroom about Gudmundsson, Buyens etc and sang them on his own non stop?

Nobody is joining in, so drop the attention seeker act pal!
  • cafctom said:

Who was the absolute knob in C Block who came along with a load of songs he had clearly written in his bedroom about Gudmundsson, Buyens etc and sang them on his own non stop?

Or have 2000 copies which you give out and then we can either join in or make paper planes.

Other forms of origami are available

• cafctom said:

Who was the absolute knob in C Block who came along with a load of songs he had clearly written in his bedroom about Gudmundsson, Buyens etc and sang them on his own non stop?

Hilarious. What were the songs?
  • I bet one of them was "Give us a G........"( for Gudmundsson )

• Lets face it, big bad bald, bonkers Belgian Bob (that's 6 bs) dropped a bollock (7bs)
  • cafctom said:

Was he the one who tried to start 'we forgot that you were queer' , which thankfully nobody joined in with?
  • cafctom said:

Was he the one who tried to start 'we forgot that you were queer' , which thankfully nobody joined in with?
    Don't think so. Something to do about Gudmundsson being from Iceland, and also the Perry Suckling song with a combined total of about three people.

Was clearly hammered.
  • Blockquote class="Quote" rel="cafctom">

cafctom said:

Don't think so. Something to do about Gudmundsson being from Iceland, and also the Perry Suckling song with a combined total of about three people.

Was clearly hammered.

I'm more concerned with the Lifer who posted earlier that he was " high in the East Stand" yesterday....

• The paradox is that we are gutted to have dropped two point to a late late goal but delighted to have got a point from a match where we were on the back foot and second best. Also we gave the ball away too cheaply.

Good plus points :the same games last season we took 2 Points, if you sub yeovil away for Brentford from the teams we have played so far. 9 returned on these five matches.

They say it's only over when the fat lady sings. What about when the other team keeper comes up for a corner and the focus is on clearing the ball as it will be the last play of the game.

Fox on Dunk for the last phase. but of course, thats not how zonal marking works.
    Dunk won 3 headers: 2 goals + miss from their striker in front of our end.

Wrap our goal a game striker up in cotton wool. what ! Igor going out to Africa, kidnap him and keep him at sparrows lane.

We are unbeaten so it's works some of the time. The problem with the last goal was the two nearest players to Dunk
    were also seagulls!

This squad is so much better than last season.

The two week breaks (int players apart) gives us a chance to work on the marking at set pieces and ball retention While enjoying being in a play off place (6th).

Nosebleed anybody !

• No nosebleed thanks! Enjoying flying at altitude at long last...take each game as it comes and the next one is a real chance to stay in the top six...with the arrival of Bulot and perhaps another to help.
    Every game bar perhaps three(?) will be a draw or settled by the odd goal. And this season we have goals ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• The problem with a manager rushing on the pitch at the end, admonishing his defender and keeper, is that he wants to kick every ball. He could end up like Barry Fry: rushing down the touchline, waving his arms in love with Southend, lamenting players who lost for Birmingham Titty, and having a heart-attack on the sofa of breakfast TV in East Anglia.

Our players are far better than that. Look at how well we played against Derby two weeks ago. We did it with aggression, invention, sharpness - and intelligence. This is our benchmark: we proved to Maclaren - an ex-England manager, don't forget - that our midfield completely defused any of Derby's idea of getting forward, let alone actually getting in to the box for a chance.

With our toughness and experience, our technical skills - our spatial awareness needs improving, exemplified by our catatonic throw-ins - there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't frighten the bloody life out of every single team in the league this season.
    The set-pieces are vital, Sixes -and you should know it.

Yeh, yeh, but what the hell are they doing at Sparrows Lane in respect of defending set pieces? ;-)

I liked the idea of Danny Green - a maverick, capable of danger - yet when he took a corner he curved the most perfect arc directly out of play. Then we would all trudge back to the halfway line, as if it didn't matter.

Our new players have more natural ability and received skills than we have seen for two years. The set-pieces are vital, Sixes - and you should know this.

• On the game ,well think you were lucky to be fair (reasonable opening gambit. but then)
    to the only time you attacked by a very good forward.(Fancy that - a striker doing the job he's paid to do, oblivious to the fact he's being murdered)
    We need to
    Be able to
    Break down teams who put 10 men behind the ball (Okay. Oh right, you mean like Charlton?)

Sorry mate, I'm being tongue in cheek, but you do sound a little like you've swallowed sour grapes.

Honest not sour grapes, the word 'murdered '
    Was used by a Charlton fan on the train on the way back, also think the stats back up that Brighton should have won, biased. ? Maybe, not sour grapes, I Learn to take the wins and losses and draws) all the same. As said best if luck for the year and think you will
    Be ok this year as you were better than last year, although that was not hard as you were so poor. (Again quoting your fans)

We need to
    Be able to

Honest not sour grapes, the word 'murdered '
    Was used by a Charlton fan on the train on the way back, also think the stats back up that Brighton should have won, biased. ? Maybe, not sour grapes, I Learn to take the wins and losses and draws) all the same. As said best if luck for the year and think you will
    Be ok this year as you were better than last year, although that was not hard as you were so poor. (Again quoting your fans)
    Are you sure this is not some sort of blue and white stripe state of mind? :-0
  • Ajdarevic was good, too - in theory. A strong midfielder who could get forward. Except that he didn't. Was it influenza, or sheer lack of ability?

Exactly. We must watch these things: We take ages to take a simple free-kick in our half. Here's an example: the player will look up - and see Vetokele and Tucudean completely static - so he passes it sideways, gets it back and loses possession. Our strikers should move back and forth - willing and able to receive. There is a yawning gap between midfield and attack.

It was Pope's dithering - and the lack of movable targets - that cost us a good Cup run. The ref was quite right.
  • A point was as much as we deserved.

we have moved on from the past 2 seasons and look a better all round side, with a goal scorer.

Cousins did have a poor game, but he has come so far in such a short space of time this does need to be kept in context.

Church performed well (in relation to previous performances) and his assist was well
  • Saw the goals on the news earlier.

Poor little Solly couldn't jump high enough to clear Dunk's header for the first off the line.
  • What's Jackson doing for the second
  • edited August 2014
    They were all getting drawn towards the ball but the two CBs must shoulder the main responsibility for decamping and would be expected to deal with a lump like Dunk at set pieces. The days of Yann helping out at the back in the air are long gone, more's the pity. Can't recall seeing our strikers in the Zonal system being employed at the moment. Not a criticism just an observation or not? :-)
    Edit; Just replayed the FLS and Igor is part of the Zonal marking line up, should've gone to Specsavers :-)
  • LenGlover said:

Saw the goals on the news earlier.

Poor little Solly couldn't jump high enough to clear Dunk's header for the first off the line.

Could have done with my soapbox!

The set-pieces are vital, Sixes -and you should know it.

I liked the idea of Danny Green - a maverick, capable of danger - yet when he took a corner he curved the most perfect arc directly out of play. Then we would all trudge back to the halfway line, as if it didn't matter.

Our new players have more natural ability and received skills than we have seen for two years. The set-pieces are vital, Sixes - and you should know this.

Whoosh