Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton - Post Match Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Gutted we didn't win but to be fair we were under pressure for large parts of the game. Brighton played some good stuff and we struggled to retain possession.
    The match stats say it all but with Igor up front we carry a real threat.
  • vff said:

Wasn't at the game but from what's being said so far it sounds very much like we are better than we were last season.
    So I can't understand why there is such negativity in some posts?
    A house divided against itself cannot stand - 100% positivity is necessary!

Why does everyone have to be 100% positive ? This is not the Moonies or North Korea !
    OK - No call for Moonies/North Korea. The point I was trying to make (probably badly) is that there seems to me to be a lot of negativity in some postings. Admittedly no team is going to be perfect and mistakes and errors will happen, but it just seems that despite (in my estimation anyway) a great start to the season, some people still aren't happy.

Yes - it is a forum and of course there should be a variety of opinion (and I fully respect yours, VFF). I'd just personally like to see more optimism and positivity - especially as this time last season it really felt like there was almost bugger all to be happy about!! ;-)
    Fair enough @iainambler
  • jamescafc said:

Was at the game. Brighton all possession no end product. We soaked up the pressure. Vetokele is clinical, Cousins is wasted outwide and we're lacking something in the middle. First time at the Amex, pathetic atmosphere from the home fans, Charlton fans on form.

They had 3 against our two. One of our CFs need to learn to drop in when we are defending
    Or maybe cousins can cone inside and a striker take the wide man...
  • You took out your old boy Jr, jesus in that stadium that was brave
  • You took out your old boy Jr, jesus in that stadium that was brave

Hahaha left myself wide open for that
  • You would've been I reckon if you left it out long enough
  • Heard Neil from North Devon on The Season Ticket on Talksport this evening.

Does he post on here?

I would have taken a point before the game. Sounds like a draw was probably fair
  • A Brighton perspective:

"Unbelievable! 2 shots and 2 goals and about 20% possession. Your lot defended pretty well though"

"Teixeira was great, Colunga was very good, as was Holla. Whole brighton team played well and on another day they would've walked it. Solly, Ben Haim and Bikey were immense though and never panicked. They broke well and the scorer looks a proper player. That Cousins was comically bad though. I think you'll be OK, particularly if you add a creative midfielder, preferably someone with a bit of nous"
  • edited August 2014
    Really poor marking for the two Brighton goals. But as has been said, a point is decent away from home.
    So that's two late goals that have won us points, and two that have cost us.
    This shit really does even itself out over the season!
  • edited August 2014
    Posting without reading
    First live game of the season for me and my son keeps his record up having not seen us win away , I did warn him as we entered injury time a point would still be good !

Despite buying the seats early on in the sales I had a right shit view , row D by the corner flag , far too flat down there so my "view" on things doesn't carry the weight it usually would !

Vetokele is different gravy , a class above and if he is with us at the start of next season I'll be more than pleased , my description of him to mates of other teams is "the best striker outside the prem"
    Bikey and TBH done better than I'd expected against a fluid but not too penetrative mobile Brighton attack but for someone to be 6ft 8 and score both Brightons goals is not good
    One great stop from Henderson straight after our first but at the end of the match looked like BBB was berating him on the pitch , possibly for not coming and clearing things up during the attack for Brightons late equaliser
    Thought the midfield were shit today completely bypassed and over run at times , I haven't seen the possession stats but don't think we had much of the ball
    Countless times Buyens and Cousins (sheff utd like performance) gave the ball away cheaply and Gudmundsson looks better than what he delivers
    Tucadean was utter chuff and being subbed at ht for the Sponge tells you all you need to know about that first half performance.

Overall I thought a point was a right touch because on the day I thought we were , Vetokele apart , guff and I don't think Brighton played that well either thankfully .
    Scum goin above us hurts as does palace scoring late on.

0% top two.........7% 3rd-6th.......... 45% 7th-12th.........48% 13th-21st......... 0% Relegation
  • Sponsored links:

• Acknowledge Church's contribution on the ball a few times, but his commitment to actually win an arial ball or anticipate Vetekole's flicks or a pass from midfield was was poor. Cousins many misplaced passes also a big factor.

The constant loss of possession midfield/upfront contributing to Brighton constantly building up their attacks and stretching our midfield, so this weakness in our team is a big factor that gives us the possession statistics we are seeing and needs addressing. I was high in the East stand and our pattern of play out of defence and attacking was excellent.

Strange mixture of very good and very poor.
  • Good morning, firstly hope my
    Travel comments of the last few days helped and all horror stories on the Amex did not true.

Good fans, meet a few before and after the game and good laugh and banter and if Al and Ben from Bexleyheath are reading, thanks for the beer.

On the game ,well think you were lucky to be fair , we basically murdered you, but 'lost' to the only time you attacked by a very good forward. We need to
    Be able to
    Break down teams who put 10 men
    Behind the ball , not your issue ours. Hope you do well this season, think
    You will
    Be middle or somewhere as think you need a lot
    More than
    One very good forward and 2 massive centre halfs.

By the way that ref was appalling for
    Both
    Teams.

Thanks for the applause on. 67 mins for a wonderful
    Man and life long albion fan and fund raiser

• Not a bad game as said Henderson save straight after the goal was excellent.

Would do away with zonal marking as both goals they were in acres if room

I thought it was the least we deserved

If I was being super critical Fox tried playing in Church but should have pushed it in the corner I'm our last attack
  • Well I thought it was a tremendous performance against a very good side. Restricting them to so little meant that their defence could double up on anyone when the ball came up. Yes Cousins gave the ball away, but often surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders. Same for front 2.

Henderson made a fantastic save just after we scored the first. Anyone think Hamer would have saved it? If we had conceded then I think we would have really struggled.

I was behind the goal and deffo a pen for me. The defender stuck his leg in front of church - no where near the ball and Church fell over it. He needs to improve his presentation! GReat set up by Church for our second, but does need to learn how to win a header. Looking at the other player for guidance and just jumping at the same time is not the way.

Great point. Onwards and upwards!
  • Good morning, firstly hope my
    Travel comments of the last few days helped and all horror stories on the Amex did not true.

Good fans, meet a few before and after the game and good laugh and banter and if Al and Ben from Bexleyheath are reading, thanks for the beer.

On the game ,well think you were lucky to be fair , we basically murdered you, but 'lost' to the only time you attacked by a very good forward. We need to
    Be able to
    Break down teams who put 10 men
    Behind the ball , not your issue ours. Hope you do well this season, think
    You will
    Be middle or somewhere as think you need a lot
    More than
    One very good forward and 2 massive centre halfs.

By the way that ref was appalling for
    Both
    Teams.

Thanks for the applause on. 67 mins for a wonderful
    Man and life long albion fan and fund raiser

Capital comments.
  • Wasn't there so can't really say anything but just a thought that has come to mind..

I know big bob likes to play out from the back which I agree with but by the sounds of it we were soo pressed we did end up playing the ball long plenty of times.. If this is the case I wonder whether bringing morrisson in would helps shore up defence at set plays where we conceded twice yesterday! It is the view of a lot of managers and pundits that one ball playing centre half and one a bit more direct is the best combination.. I just wonder whether by trying to have two ball playing cbs we are adding undue pressure on ourselves. I concede both tbh and bikey have both played well but I think maybe morro alongside one of them may be the long term answer!

Then if there is time to play it out from the back he can play the ball square to his partner or a full back or to buyens if not he can use his default long ball!

Just a thought!
  • There was a round of applause in the 67th minute? I can't have been the only one that didn't notice that?
  • edited August 2014

There was a round of applause in the 67th minute? I can't have been the only one that didn't notice that?

Nor did I mate but perhaps you were more concerned about your dad after flattening him in the goal celebrations. I have no excuse. :-)
  • RedChaser said:

There was a round of applause in the 67th minute? I can't have been the only one that didn't notice that?

Nor did I mate but perhaps you were more concerned about your dad after flattening him in the goal celebrations. I have no excuse. :-)
    Hahah it wasn't my dad, he was at home, armchair fan ain't he.

(This May be a woosh moment on my part although I'm not sure)
  • Sponsored links:

• There was a round of applause in the 67th minute? I can't have been the only one that didn't notice that?

Probably didn't notice because it was literally the minute after they scored so it was just a continuation of the Brighton goal celebrations.
  • Not at the game but just an observation. Their centre half scores from two set plays. Normally the forwards mark the centre halves, but our forward line is quite short, so work needs to be done on the training ground around how we defend their defenders coming forward for set plays. Overall happy with a point although disappointed with the late goal. Two difficult home games, Watford and Wolves to come after the international break. Having seen us beat Wigan and Derby, hoping for the same against these two.

Might we have done better with 6'6" keeper who likes to come for any high ball? Howdid SH play?
    Made a world class save in the first minute, had nothing else to do
  • edited August 2014

Not at the game but just an observation. Their centre half scores from two set plays. Normally the forwards mark the centre halves, but our forward line is quite short, so work needs to be done on the training ground around how we defend their defenders coming forward for set plays. Overall happy with a point although disappointed with the late goal. Two difficult home games, Watford and Wolves to come after the international break. Having seen us beat Wigan and Derby, hoping for the same against these two.

Might we have done better with 6'6" keeper who likes to come for any high ball? Howdid SH play?
    Not sure about world class, it was a good reflex save to keep us in front, otherwise not much else to do apart of course from risking a pulled back muscle picking the ball out of the net twice. :-0
  • Not at the game but just an observation. Their centre half scores from two set plays. Normally the forwards mark the centre halves, but our forward line is quite short, so work needs to be done on the training ground around how we defend their defenders coming forward for set plays. Overall happy with a point although disappointed with the late goal. Two difficult home games, Watford and Wolves to come after the international break. Having seen us beat Wigan and Derby, hoping for the same against these two.

Commands his area poorly. Unconvinced at the moment.
  • some people aren't happy unless they are moaning.That is a fact of life not really related to charlton life or football.The moaners[in life] usually have lives they are not happy with .Surely everyone who remembers the [perfect] days under Curbs in the premier league can recall sitting next to the "we should be pushing on and qualifying for europe "brigade.If they won the lottery for £2 million quid then they would bemoan the fact that it wasnt £200millioin.VFF is just one of those people.
  • edited August 2014
    The problem with a manager rushing on the pitch at the end, admonishing his defender and keeper, is that he wants to kick every ball. He could end up like Barry Fry: rushing down the touchline, waving his arms in love with Southend, lamenting players who lost for Birmingham Titty, and having a heart-attack on the sofa of breakfast TV in East Anglia.

Our players are far better than that. Look at how well we played against Derby two weeks ago. We did it with aggression, invention, sharpness - and intelligence. This is our benchmark: we proved to Maclaren - an ex-England manager, don't forget - that our midfield completely defused any of Derby's idea of getting forward, let alone actually getting in to the box for a chance.

With our toughness and experience, our technical skills - our spatial awareness needs improving, exemplified by our catatonic throw-ins - there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't frighten the bloody life out of every single team in the league this season.

• 1StevieG said:

Got down to the ground earuly parking in the University car park and met up with a couple Brighton fans who took us into Dicks bar .

Dicks bar? Are they having a laugh?
  • vffvff
    edited August 2014
    timken said:

some people aren't happy unless they are moaning.That is a fact of life not really related to charlton life or football.The moaners[in life] usually have lives they are not happy with .Surely everyone who remembers the [perfect] days under Curbs in the premier league can recall sitting next to the "we should be pushing on and qualifying for europe "brigade.If they won the lottery for £2 million quid then they would bemoan the fact that it wasnt £200millioin.VFF is just one of those people.

Ermm. What are you talking about ? You are making something up and then try to associate me with all that rubbish, when I have nothing to do with any of that.
    vff said:

Disappointing to concede last minute but all in all things are going pretty well. Charlton surrendered and were totally outclassed last season by Brighton. Vetekele is class. His goals should keep Charlton out of the relegation dog fight. A few injuries though and Charlton may struggle. Need an additional quality striker to partner Vetekele. Don't look like they are going to arrive in this transfer window. Don't want Charlton to pay over the odds for average strikers. Charlton supporters will see how far Bob Peeters gets with the team with the players that he has got.

---
    http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/63743/see-igors-goals-vs-brighton-here#latest
    August 30
    stonewallpenalty said:

» show previous quotes
    If he carries on like this it may be difficult to keep him next summer.

vff: On a 5 year contract why wouldn't we keep him if there is a serious attempt to get Charlton into the Premiership ? Lets be positive and enjoy a proper quality goal scorer at the club again rather than worry about the distant future. & /
    Good job Vetekele is on a 5 year contract ! That shows a level of commitment from the player. That is definitely a good sign and a great thing to see.
    ---

Perhaps you should read the whole thread and a few others from today before posting rubbish. @timken. Can you go and misrepresent and make stuff up about posters views somewhere else !
  • I feel for Jordan Cousins because 90% of our fans would agree that wide left is not his best position. Jordan needs a bit of looking after in these circumstances, and ought not end up feeling unfairly 'used' in some way.
  • seth plum said:

I feel for Jordan Cousins because 90% of our fans would agree that wide left is not his best position. Jordan needs a bit of looking after in these circumstances, and ought not end up feeling unfairly 'used' in some way.

I agree that wide left is not his position but whatever position you're playing you should still be able to pass to your own players.