Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton - Post Match Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Re the Church pen I believe he was definitely clipped. Not hard but there was contact.
  • Posted before reading. Would have taken a point at 1 min and also at 90. Brighton played more football and Teixera will be a great player. If Ivor gets injured we could be in trouble. I thought the defence were good and buyens and igor. Cousins was disappointing as was Johan. I thought we'd attack more and thought we were asking for trouble defending as we did. Hopefully bulot, a creative midfielder and a striker to play along igor will make us very competitive. The unbeaten record still means a lot.
  • Definite dive from Church. I was sat pretty much behind our bench and had a great view of it. Left a leg dangling out and went down like a sack of spuds.
  • I'm usually very pessimistic but this Charlton team has got me interested again. I can't wait for the next game knowing we've got goals in us.

Was gutted today but drawing at Brighton is a good result.

Hope we get another striker who nobody knows about just like Vetokele
  • 1StevieG said:

Definite dive from Church. I was sat pretty much behind our bench and had a great view of it. Left a leg dangling out and went down like a sack of spuds.

Me too - defo a dive.
  • It was doubly valuable that we played so well against Wigan and Derby because those two early-season performances proved to us, the manager and the players themselves that this team is perfectly capable of sustaining quick attacks prompted by a strong midfield.

Many good points raised above: the need for quality cover for Vetokele; the perils of zonal marking at corners; the danger of time-wasting with more than 20 minutes to go.

The stats speak volumes: Brighton dominated possession and crafted more chances. A draw at the Amex is a respectable result. Yet, remember the adage: What is 'competent', or even what's 'good', can only ever be a point of departure, never a satisfactory point of arrival.

• Just seen somebody post the SSN highlights on facebook, they're in the group for anyone who can't wait for tonight. I must say Henderson was very far off his line for their second goal. Can understand why Bob was angry as Leaburn said. Also what the hell was going on with the marking?! about four players all running towards the crosser basically leaving dunk with a free header, which he took well. All in all a poor goal to concede though.
  • What has been nice to see so far this season is we have a team/squad of proper professionals. By that I mean no fancy dans, no attention seeking histrionics, no players who just want to do the easy stuff.
    To a man they work hard, encourage each other and stick to their roles and responsibilities. Long may it continue.
  • Excellent counter attacking away performance. Should have nailed down Tiexara a bit more and sorted Dunk out the second time around.

I too thought Church had been clipped too, his movement and running made a great difference and his assist is as good as anything you will see this season.

Igor a real star goal scorer but he as Cousins gave away possession cheaply at times and in JC's case misplaced passes put us on the back foot several times whilst on an offensive assault early in the second half. Fair play to him though he keeps going never hides and is prepared to play on the left of midfield and he is a CAFC home grown excellent footballer, who hasn't jumped ship. He deserves a start alongside Buyens.

Still unbeaten an excellent August and it looks promising for the rest of the season.
  • Vetokele is equal top scorer (with Grabban) in the Champ League.
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited August 2014

Yet, remember the adage: What is 'competent', or even what's 'good', can only ever be a point of departure, never a satisfactory point of arrival.

Here we go.
  • I think that after last season we would be delighted with the return so far, unbeaten is some achievement in this league. As for negativity well I remember those that called for us to go to the next level in the division above which was ridiculous then and there are still traces of unreasonable expectation now with some.
    In our current division unbeaten in three aways is fantastic. However like others have said there is room for improvement but we are so much better than last season and that will do for me at the moment.
    Feels very good to walk into the pub for the Chelski game and have the nob enders, manks and other glory boys all say decent result and still unbeaten. Bleakpool lot all very depressed.
  • Hellish journey there, but really enjoyed the afternoon. I was happy with the performance and it was so good to watch a Charlton team that looked capable of scoring. If you were a Brighton fan you'd say a draw was the least you deserved, but I thought we defended well for the most part. In terms of the occasion, our fans made almost all the noise.
    Also I left three minutes early and missed their goal, so as far as I'm concerned, we won.
  • We did well breaking up so many of their attacks back four well protected by Buyens and JJ with slick passing out of defence but weak on getting an outlet to build on. Lost a few mid field contests against some skilful Brighton players.
    Neither Tucadean nor Church had the ability to provide the hold up play we desperately needed and Brighton just kept coming back. Vetokele usual class but can't hold the front line alone .
    On the wing Cousins gave ball away time and time again
    Church couldn't get on the end of a bus queue let alone a through ball or an outlet ball.
    Happy with progress plenty of positives it will be tough for any team to turn us over.
  • Was at the game. Brighton all possession no end product. We soaked up the pressure. Vetokele is clinical, Cousins is wasted outwide and we're lacking something in the middle. First time at the Amex, pathetic atmosphere from the home fans, Charlton fans on form.

They had 3 against our two. One of our CFs need to learn to drop in when we are defending
  • I was there. We were outplayed and out passed throughout but defended resolutely. We never looked panicked at the back but you can only defend with 10 men behind the ball for so long and they were always going to score goals. The times we went forward, we caused problems and Igor shows how vital it is to have a goalscorer - he almost single handedly earned us a point. With Bikey in the team we shouldn't be conceding from corners. Maybe zonal doesn't work? Bob may consider that this week.

Tucudean was really poor IMO, and barely touched the ball (albeit he didn't have a lot of service). Ben Haim made some really poor mistakes and it's the worst I've seen him, considering I've not rated him less than 7.5 yet.

All in all, despite playing poorly (IMO) we still came away with a point and nearly 3. That is the mark of a good side.

Was there and thought goals aside TBH played well
  • We did well breaking up so many of their attacks back four well protected by Buyens and JJ with slick passing out of defence but weak on getting an outlet to build on. Lost a few mid field contests against some skilful Brighton players.
    Neither Tucadean nor Church had the ability to provide the hold up play we desperately needed and Brighton just kept coming back. Vetokele usual class but can't hold the front line alone .
    On the wing Cousins gave ball away time and time again
    Church couldn't get on the end of a bus queue let alone a through ball or an outlet ball.
    Happy with progress plenty of positives it will be tough for any team to turn us over.

Bit harsh on Church I think today. Made the second goal and seemed like a decent outlet to me.
  • My second visit to the Amex and very different to the 0-0 draw 18 months ago. We were better and at times playing real football...Same as vs Derby and Wigan.
    Good to be top six but the table will be more accurate end September.
    So we've played all the play-off teams from last season and picked up seven points from three games.
    Unbeaten in the league so bring on Watford and Wolves - after that we will all be able to see if we stay top six.
    Glass half full? Reserve judgement? Bollox to all that sitting on the fence... This is an owner and a club on a mission - he's turned a bottom six club into a top six one in just eight months and Bulot has just joined. Yet another £2m addition to the squad. Not sure his best position but Cousins and Jackson on a job share going forwards. Add another striker and we should be looking up the table not down.
    Good to see Henderson back in goal and Bikey was immense. Solly, Gudmundsson, Buyens and Vetokele doing their stuff. Cousins had a dodgy few minutes second half but all in all this team is growing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Spot on Fanny. I did see Bob Peeters having a right go at TBH after the whistle and TBH was not arguing!
    I'm starting to like big Bobby!
  • Peter_G said:

Spot on Fanny. I did see Bob Peeters having a right go at TBH after the whistle and TBH was not arguing!
    I'm starting to like big Bobby!

Looks like Bikey and Henderson got an earful too ...!!!
  • Peeters Said after the game that they knew all about Dunk's prowess in the air form set pieces. I think TBH was the one meant to be picking him up or occupying the space where he scored from as part of the zonal marking positioning.
  • so don't leave early :)
    what's happened to your blog NYA?
  • Missed our last game there so this was my first time at the Amex. Nice stadium, had a good view, I was high up in the stand and the seat was comfy haha. On the pitch I think we rode our luck. We are not passing well but hopefully the coaches will crack on with that if we are gonna play from the back. I like that bob has some passion and I was watching him shouting at the players continuously, I think he was a bit naïve tho to not tighten up and make a change. All in all im happy with what looks like a really promising team we have, We have a few boys that can get stuck in and tackle...so many great tackles today from bikey and also from yoni. I left the ground thinking we should of had a win but a draw was fair as we didn't have the ball much compared to them. Parking in Brighton is a cunt btw
  • so don't leave early :)
    what's happened to your blog NYA?

Work and kids have taken up all the spare time I used to have :-(
  • When we scored our first there was a big rush forward and I fell over and took out an old boy in the process. It hurt.
  • vff said:

Wasn't at the game but from what's being said so far it sounds very much like we are better than we were last season.
    So I can't understand why there is such negativity in some posts?
    A house divided against itself cannot stand - 100% positivity is necessary!

Why does everyone have to be 100% positive ? This is not the Moonies or North Korea !
    OK - No call for Moonies/North Korea. The point I was trying to make (probably badly) is that there seems to me to be a lot of negativity in some postings. Admittedly no team is going to be perfect and mistakes and errors will happen, but it just seems that despite (in my estimation anyway) a great start to the season, some people still aren't happy.

Yes - it is a forum and of course there should be a variety of opinion (and I fully respect yours, VFF). I'd just personally like to see more optimism and positivity - especially as this time last season it really felt like there was almost bugger all to be happy about!! ;-)