Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Advice re new car

Hi all,

Just after some opinions/advice re purchasing a new car.

We are after a seven seater. I have always liked the SMax. Had a test drive today and was impressed. My wife likes the Qashqai +2. Again test drove it today and was happy with it but had nothing that really made me think it was the right car to buy. Have looked at the Kia Carens also.

Will probably do lease or HP as cannot afford to buy outright.

Do low mileage, probably 6,000 to 7,000 miles a year.

Thoughts would be welcome.

Comments

• Had a vauxhall zafira for 3 years. 1.8 petrol. Plenty of power, comfortable but not exactly exciting. Did exactly as it said on the tin though.

If I needed a 7 seater again that would be what I'd get
  • if you buy one, do not drive it into a tree
  • Seat Alhambra is great - sliding doors really useful with kids, and drives beautifully (the 170 bhp version anyhow). The VW Sharan is the same car in different more expensive clothing.

If it wasn't for the sliding doors, I'd have gone for a Ford Smax or Galaxy.

• If it's to be brand new then you'll probably get better deals on the Ford and certainly the Zafira. If you're leasing it, I'd assume it'd go back after three years so long term reliability wouldn't necessarily be your highest concern. I'd consider the Toyota Verso in addition to the above. With the Qashqai bear in mind it has a lot of Renault input mechanically (if a diesel, although at that mileage a petrol would be better) and electronically. The Carens seems a decent enough motor, was in one a couple of weeks back.

• Love the smax. Do not go for 1.6 though. V.economical but sluggish as fook
  • Seat Alhambra is great - sliding doors really useful with kids, and drives beautifully (the 170 bhp version anyhow). The VW Sharan is the same car in different more expensive clothing.

If it wasn't for the sliding doors, I'd have gone for a Ford Smax or Galaxy.

Bang on the money regarding the Alhambra. Fantastic cars, and don't pay the VW premium.
  • Just bought a three year old S-Max, lovely car, a problem that sometimes comes up on these and the Galaxys are the steering racks apparently.

Sat in most of the other seven seaters and they were like vans, you don't feel like you are in a people carrier in the S-Max, also they are praised for their handling.

Have the 2.0 Tdci which drives well, got poke but not as spritely and my old Bora 1.8T but needed a bigger car and well pleased.

Whatever you get, at that size you'll be best with, as stated a 1.8 and above.
  • What ages are the kids?

We got two litre Renault scenic megane last year on a 10 plate. Each of the three seats in back row move independently. Got 1 and 3 years old with car seats by windows and enough room for wife in middle if mother in law is also with us.

None of the 7 seaters have much of a boot when the extra two seats are up.

Wouldn't get a qashqai plus two. Really like qashqai but the extra seats are small and don't feel very safe IMO. Not proper seats, wouldn't want to do more than a short journey in them.
  • Like the smax it doesn't feel like a people carrier when driving.

If you have car seats put them in the cars when trying them out. Some of the bigger looking cars didn't have much room once we tried the two car seats in them.
  • Thanks for the responses.

Kids are eight and 11. The 11 year old in particular is tall for his age and seems to be growing by the day. Must admit the extra seats in the Qashqai were not too appealing.

Looks like the SMax Titanium X Sport may be wining at the mo..
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably S Max, stear clear of anything French
  • The X Sport is what we got (from CarGiant). It's a bit extra but as we needed a car to take three child seats for an expanding family (didn't want to really lose the Bora) it was the the only one that made me feel I was still driving a car not a bus.
  • glad to see plenty of good reviews for the SMax, the titanium one is the car I'm probably gonna get next year.
  • I test a lot of cars and my favourite big family car is the 7 seater Citroen Picasso. That said their Diesel engines are far better than their petrols which doesn't really suit you. Cars I've hated were the Scenic and Zafira which both felt very plasticy.
  • I test a lot of cars and my favourite big family car is the 7 seater Citroen Picasso. That said their Diesel engines are far better than their petrols which doesn't really suit you. Cars I've hated were the Scenic and Zafira which both felt very plasticy.

Had the Zafira when it first come out, they were making a big thing out of the folding seats and stuff at the time as it was pretty revolutionary. Had two younguns at the time and it was an ideal family car. Agree on the "plasticy" comment though. I am a clumsy sod at the best of times and when I took it round to my Dad to show off (as you do of course lads...) I went to open the boot which was locked and I pulled the whole of the plastic handle off with my hand. Cue piss take from the old fella!
  • SJH

Spend a bit of time looking at the internet and checking out the sales techniques used to get you to buy a new car.
    Sometimes the psychology is pretty crude, for example they ask which colour you want pretty early, then they use your choice a lot like 'when you get your new blue car', because they are worming their way into your preferences. Actually when they ask what colour you want, the best way is to ask back 'are different colours different prices then?', or 'are some colours out of stock?'.
    They quickly want to get on the side of somehow doing you a favour, when in reality you are doing them a favour being a customer. Have skin as thick as a Rhino and be prepared to walk away from the deal.
    Go to buy after the 20th of the month and they are eager to move 'units' to get their manufacturers bonus.
    Try to be a cash buyer and sell your car privately.
    If it is a Citroen look to get at least 15% off the list price, plus a years tax, mats and covers, a service agreement and anything else you can ask for. The sales people will act like you are stealing food from their children's mouths, don't worry about that, you can always walk and buy elsewhere, and still use the nearest dealer for servicing and so on.
    I reckon it is all about the numbers, everything else is fluff, and car sales people are really excellent at wheedling money out of you, don't fall for it.
    Back to the colour...everybody and his wife gets the fancy paint, which is always an extra for some reason, start by saying you expect the fancy paint to be automatically included in the price.
    The last new car I bought was actually second hand from a dealer with 24miles on the clock! Do a bit of research and you can save enough money to take the family away at half-term.
  • Dont do Qashqai , step away from it and never look back. Trust me on this.
  • Had a galaxy when the kids were younger on a v plate, bought it when 2yrs old. Great car so versatile you could take the rear seats out creating more space and went like a dream
  • seth plum said:

SJH

Spend a bit of time looking at the internet and checking out the sales techniques used to get you to buy a new car.
    Sometimes the psychology is pretty crude, for example they ask which colour you want pretty early, then they use your choice a lot like 'when you get your new blue car', because they are worming their way into your preferences. Actually when they ask what colour you want, the best way is to ask back 'are different colours different prices then?', or 'are some colours out of stock?'.
    They quickly want to get on the side of somehow doing you a favour, when in reality you are doing them a favour being a customer. Have skin as thick as a Rhino and be prepared to walk away from the deal.
    Go to buy after the 20th of the month and they are eager to move 'units' to get their manufacturers bonus.
    Try to be a cash buyer and sell your car privately.
    If it is a Citroen look to get at least 15% off the list price, plus a years tax, mats and covers, a service agreement and anything else you can ask for. The sales people will act like you are stealing food from their children's mouths, don't worry about that, you can always walk and buy elsewhere, and still use the nearest dealer for servicing and so on.
    I reckon it is all about the numbers, everything else is fluff, and car sales people are really excellent at wheedling money out of you, don't fall for it.
    Back to the colour...everybody and his wife gets the fancy paint, which is always an extra for some reason, start by saying you expect the fancy paint to be automatically included in the price.
    The last new car I bought was actually second hand from a dealer with 24miles on the clock! Do a bit of research and you can save enough money to take the family away at half-term.

Thanks, Seth. Must admit to disliking the hard sell and have no issue walking away from over the top sales people.

Am test diving an SMax Titanium Sport tomorrow.

Thanks to those who gave their advice/opinion.
  • Another thumbs up for the S Max from here. Had one since 2007, great car especially for longer trips (eg Croatia in our case) (or 6 adults to Bramall Lane last season)

great to drive, as others have said, it's like a car to drive, not a van.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you are happy with the test drive, ask how much they would sell the test drive car for as an ex- demonstrator, the 54 number plates start on September 1st so dealers will want to get rid of the pre-registered cars, and you can get a bargin.
  • Has anyone had any experience of the Vauxhall Mokka?

Missus likes it and they have a good finance deal at the moment at wj king in Welling. I've not looked at one properly yet. It doesn't look very big though.
  • Can't give any informed opinion on these cars but mate recently bought a brand new A6 Estate and bought it online. He got it for 28 grand which was a full thousand cheaper than the best the biggest Audi dealer in the showroom could do and nearly 30% off list. The owner told him it was the way to do it if you wanted the lowest possible price.
  • Can't give any informed opinion on these cars but mate recently bought a brand new A6 Estate and bought it online. He got it for 28 grand which was a full thousand cheaper than the best the biggest Audi dealer in the showroom could do and nearly 30% off list. The owner told him it was the way to do it if you wanted the lowest possible price.

Online car buying is certainly how things are going. In case anyone is thinking of buying a new car and hasn't tried it, check out Wowcar. You spec your car and main dealer franchises dealers bid for your business. Got an OTR discount of £6k on a new Audi which is nearly £4k better than What Car target price. Just need to collect it from Coventry.
  • edited February 2016

Can't give any informed opinion on these cars but mate recently bought a brand new A6 Estate and bought it online. He got it for 28 grand which was a full thousand cheaper than the best the biggest Audi dealer in the showroom could do and nearly 30% off list. The owner told him it was the way to do it if you wanted the lowest possible price.

Online car buying is certainly how things are going. In case anyone is thinking of buying a new car and hasn't tried it, check out Wowcar. You spec your car and main dealer franchises dealers bid for your business. Got an OTR discount of £6k on a new Audi which is nearly £4k better than What Car target price. Just need to collect it from Coventry.
    There are a few of these firms about. The one that I know about which has been doing this for years is https://broadspeed.com/ . Some years ago they were offering a BOGOF deal on one motor! can't remember which one though.

Edited: It was this, Dodge Avenger SXT 2.4i, whatever that is?
  • Zafira Tourer Elite 1.6 Ecoflex in red.
  • edited February 2016

Dont do Qashqai , step away from it and never look back. Trust me on this.

My brother has the Qashqai N-tec, it's a brilliant motor.

We have the Juke, Tekna Dig-T which is also a brilliant motor, though not as economic as some other similar cars due to the small engine and big body.

• Dont do Qashqai , step away from it and never look back. Trust me on this.

I can't trust you on this - you have to give some reasons. I have heard very good reports from people I know who have driven Qashqais. One ex-colleague has driven loads of new cars over the last few years and rates the Qashqai as the best of it's type available.
  • Quashqai is well known for gearbox problems. My mum's friend has to have a new gearbox recently after only 40k (owned from new) and Nissan were unhelpful in the extreme
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/qashqai/reliability
  • That's those bad drivers not using their clutch properly :wink: