Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Virgin media

What they like these days? Been looking at the whole package ( TV,calls, b/band) getting fed up with sky. Internet dropping in and out, refusal to offer any deals when I ring up to plead poverty. Virgin would save me a bit of money and you get bt, espn thrown in. I've been with sky for Yonks and always thought Virgin had a bad rep but speaking to a couple of neighbours it appears they have upped their game somewhat.
How much of a pain in the arris would it be to change it all over?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I've had Virgin Media for 20 years (in Bromley) and never had a problem. Good as gold.
    However, there have been these threads previously and you always get a mixture of people saying Sky or Virgin or BT are best, so who knows. Virgin dropped my price by about £25pm, a few years ago, when I threatened to go to Sky.
    Alaways, very helpful if I have an occasional issue.
  • What they like these days? Been looking at the whole package ( TV,calls, b/band) getting fed up with sky. Internet dropping in and out, refusal to offer any deals when I ring up to plead poverty. Virgin would save me a bit of money and you get bt, espn thrown in. I've been with sky for Yonks and always thought Virgin had a bad rep but speaking to a couple of neighbours it appears they have upped their game somewhat.
    How much of a pain in the arris would it be to change it all over?

I would move to talk talk, been with them over a year now its been great, TV, Phone and Broadband for £30 the TV is a youview box which lets you record, pause TV, you get the freeview channels plus 7 sky channels fee
    Sky 1, Sky 2, Sky Arts 1, Sky Arts 2, Sky Living 1, Sky living 2 and Sky Sports News,
    plus you can but packages and you can have them month by month, for example the film package is £15 and your only tied down to it for a month at a time
  • Used to have loads of issues but for the last 3-4 years had no issues always helpful and always willing to help £££ just got a nice Netflix deal that was for new customers only ended up getting more than they did.

Good bit of advice if you ever have a issue always go through to disconnections as its a UK based call centre and they will give you more than the Far East, as with most places the Far East read from a script and a lot of the time dont understand you.

They have no issues either with you asking general questions as from my experience i think they are used to people doing it rather than talking to a Far East call centre
  • edited August 2014
    It's gotten a lot better. We used to have a lot of problems with our internet but it hasn't dropped once in the last 6 months. Our box freezes up occasionally meaning you have to turn it off and on again at the plug, but that must only happen once, maybe twice a month and only when you're scrolling through the on demand or catch up TV menus so never mid match/mid watching a programme.

Having all the sports channels is great, I like my rugby as well as my football so BT Sport is a bit of a must. We don't bother with the Movie packages so can't comment on them.

The only thing that's missing is the Sky Atlantic channel and the Sky offers a far more comprehensive list of box sets on demand - but I guess these can be streamed. Also every so often Virgin offers it's customers promotions for Netflix, my 6 month free account recently expired.

When I'm away at uni I use the Virgin Anywhere service to watch the football on my laptop, my housemates all have Sky Go accounts on their laptops and we all agreed that the stream is far better on Virgin Anywhere.

We don't have our landline with Virgin.
  • Been with virgin for a while now, just upgraded to a TiVo box and managed to get my monthly bill down a fair bit. Never had any issues . I'd never go back to sky.
  • Had Virgin for years, i prefer the old V+ box, TiVo is annoyingly slow. ggrrrrrr!!
  • I must have had a dozen engineers/technicians visits over the last two and a half years. Every time something goes wrong (which has been a hell of a lot for me here in Lee) the call centre person sends someone out, expecting you to always be available. there are veiled threats if you're not available, and every visit costs Virgin £26. if your feedback answers one of the questions very positively, then the engineer gets a £10 bonus, so they are eager to visit and always very nice.
    Most of the time it is a local fault not a household one, although the call centre hardly ever bothers to find that out straight away (communication between the different departments at Virgin simply does not happen) and goes straight for sending someone out. When they arrive they turn up 'cold' because the engineers are not told what the problem is...that happened to me last Wednesday morning for example when I'd had the second visit in a fortnight!
    They give you a paltry refund when things go wrong long enough, I have even had a TIVO upgrade and such like...but I simply want the thing to work. I have had crossed phone lines, no telly (Olympic opening ceremony was an epic example), and countless broadband outages.
    Why do you think you see so many Virgin vans on the road?
    I don't know about other providers, Virgin may be the best one, anyway that has been my experience for what it's worth.
  • Been with virgin for a while now, just upgraded to a TiVo box and managed to get my monthly bill down a fair bit. Never had any issues . I'd never go back to sky.

Exactly the same for me.

Virgin called me recently to say they were reducing my monthly bill to keep it in line with new customer offers - nice touch.

I had Sky 10 years and they never called me once.
    Since I moved to Virgin, Sky call me once a week !
  • PopIcon said:

Had Virgin for years, i prefer the old V+ box, TiVo is annoyingly slow. ggrrrrrr!!

NOt had issues with ours seems pretty fast maybe get them in ?

• Is it more expensive than sky if you want sky sports?
  • Sponsored links:

• Just re-newed my contract with Sky for the next year and had to do plenty of wheeling and dealing - got full package plus multi room ( not had before) FOR £47.50 per month 12 month contract...been with them now 16 years
  • had sky went to virgin and did not like virgin at all, contract is up and i have just bought a Humax free sat box, very happy now no more bills. Watch my films via Hd lead from laptop to TV - watch any games i fancy down the pub.
  • weird, just moved from Virgin to Sky, saving myself the best part of £50 a month
  • refusal to offer any deals when I ring up to plead poverty.

I can guarantee you they'll find something to offer you once they realise you're serious about leaving.
  • Been with Virgin for about 4 years now and no complaints at all. Broadband has literally never dropped out and the speed has been upgraded, free of charge, twice now (currently about 60mb). TV packages are good, although not getting Sky Atlantic is a bit annoying but there are ways around that. Pricewise I think they're pretty similar and you can always get them to beat the other one for a particular package if you bargain with them.
  • Virgin offer sky sports season ticket for a one off £150.
  • Virgin offer sky sports season ticket for a one off £150.

explain please?
  • I've just moved over from Sky to Virgin on the Big Daddy package (basically the whole shooting match). Had it for about 2 weeks.
    There are less channels than Sky (and also less HD channels) but the core channels are all the same, and the ones on the missing list I never watched anyway so no great loss. Still have Sky Movies, Sky Sports but now get ESPN and BT Sport for the same money. Phone is a good deal and the broadband runs at 152Mbits/sec - which is pretty damned fast.
    Virgin having a lot of deals at the moment so they should make it worth your while.
    The only thing I really miss is that the Sky box was a touch more intuitive to use and the Tivo with Virgin is more fiddly. But overall it's fine. Picture quality is good, and sound is too with optical output if you have a sound system that will take it.
  • Big kahuna bundle gives you a deal with the sky sports channels for ten months season ticket £150 save over 40per cent on normal price.
  • how much altogether though?
  • Sponsored links:

• £50 a month I pay every channel.
  • edited August 2014
    seth plum said:

I must have had a dozen engineers/technicians visits over the last two and a half years. Every time something goes wrong (which has been a hell of a lot for me here in Lee) the call centre person sends someone out, expecting you to always be available. there are veiled threats if you're not available, and every visit costs Virgin £26. if your feedback answers one of the questions very positively, then the engineer gets a £10 bonus, so they are eager to visit and always very nice.
    Most of the time it is a local fault not a household one, although the call centre hardly ever bothers to find that out straight away (communication between the different departments at Virgin simply does not happen) and goes straight for sending someone out. When they arrive they turn up 'cold' because the engineers are not told what the problem is...that happened to me last Wednesday morning for example when I'd had the second visit in a fortnight!
    They give you a paltry refund when things go wrong long enough, I have even had a TIVO upgrade and such like...but I simply want the thing to work. I have had crossed phone lines, no telly (Olympic opening ceremony was an epic example), and countless broadband outages.
    I don't know about other providers, Virgin may be the best one, anyway that has been my experience for what it's worth.

100% not my experience. The call centre always check to see if it's a local fault & always check everything they can before sending someone out. Strange, how 2 peoples experience can be so different.
  • With virgin you don't get sky Atlantic so if your missus likes shows on there stay with sky. Also for the lads, virgin doesn't have babestation
  • With virgin you don't get sky Atlantic so if your missus likes shows on there stay with sky. Also for the lads, virgin doesn't have babestation

Now this could be a problem... And what's sky Atlantic?

• It's a TV channel, shows the best and most popular programmes
  • seth plum said:

I must have had a dozen engineers/technicians visits over the last two and a half years. Every time something goes wrong (which has been a hell of a lot for me here in Lee) the call centre person sends someone out, expecting you to always be available. there are veiled threats if you're not available, and every visit costs Virgin £26. if your feedback answers one of the questions very positively, then the engineer gets a £10 bonus, so they are eager to visit and always very nice.

100% not my experience. The call centre always check to see if it's a local fault & always check everything they can before sending someone out. Strange, how 2 peoples experience can be so different.
    I now always and explicitly ask them to check if it a local fault, I also double check with the auto answers on the telephone too. I am so used to doing so. I am glad you get a better experience than me, tho' the fact you have had reason to call them at all, and had somebody come out, suggests you have also had connection problems...although probably less than me.
    Maybe every provider has regular breakdowns.
  • Never had a major problem with Virgin and dealt with them for 10 years or so.

Broadband is good, tv is good, price is good. Although I do seem to be paying more than anybody else claims to be paying!

Things lacking are a decent "Sky Go" service on the mobile phone and Sky Atlantic.
  • I had virgin for 15 years when I lived in bromley no problems and always paid by direct debit .

However when we recently moved to just outside canterbury we could not use them any more so we had to cancel our service. 6 weeks after we moved I was contacted by a debt collection agency say to I owed them £200. When i said I had no knowledge of this bill their attitude was you owe it so pay it or else. After 4 weeks of talking to various virgin staff in the philipines I finally got a copy of the bill which was addressed to me but was sent to coventry ( similar post code). It was for a disconnection charge. But they could not tell me how they arrived at this figure. why it was sent to the wrong address or who had cancel the direct debit mandate (i did not). No matter how much I complained the refused to budge I eventually paid so I could clear the black mark on my credit record.

Be warned
  • Virgin do tv anywhere also a different app for sky movies and sky sports now.