Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Solly

I hope I am wrong because I think he is a fantastic footballer who will have a very good career.................but I am worried that his injury is now dragging on and he may be looking at an early retirement.

Comments

• Didn't he play in one of the friendlies?
  • I hope I am wrong because I think he is a fantastic footballer who will have a very good career.................but I am worried that his injury is now dragging on and he may be looking at an early retirement.

we hear of soooo many footballers who are never the same after a long injury lay-off...please, please not chris though...
  • I believe Solly's knee problem can't be operated on. It can only be managed by doing less & different training.
    The problem is swelling or a reaction after playing. So he can play a game and look fine, but afterwards .....
    I can't see the problem getting any better ....
  • Touch of the ledley's
  • Mentioned it a week or so ago on the thread for the atletico club friendly, but it's been spoken about by a few people since he had the injury.

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1909635/#Comment_1909635

Really hope we're wrong.
  • I think I remember reading that in the 1st championship he was having injections in his knee before/after every game.

Can't see him having a long career which is a gutting thought
  • I believe Solly's knee problem can't be operated on. It can only be managed by doing less & different training.
    The problem is swelling or a reaction after playing. So he can play a game and look fine, but afterwards .....

I think that four year contract he signed may have been some sort of insurance policy for both parties.

Best right back since John Humphrey and Luke Young in my opinion.
    I agree, he's absolutely class and seems a nice guy. Hope he has a long career with us!
  • Looked fine at Ebbsfleet last week. We'll not get a full season out of him but hopefully his condition will be managed accordingly. With Wilson as back up, we have decent support so he can afford to miss games to rest without the team being hugely affected.
  • Sponsored links:

I think that four year contract he signed may have been some sort of insurance policy for both parties.

Best right back since John Humphrey and Luke Young Simon Francis in my opinion.
  • Best case: They're protecting him until the start of the season to make sure he doesn't have any problems before then.

Worst case: Another season like the last.
  • I've read that Chris is basically in the same boat as me knee wise - zero cartlidge left. When it goes it is horribly painful and mine is a bastard every single morning.

I'm sure the club will manage him through the season but if he makes 30 games I'll be surprised.

Unfortunately at some point in the next 2-3 years I suspect he will have to make a decision on whether he plays on or risks serious issues in later life.
  • I've read that Chris is basically in the same boat as me knee wise - zero cartlidge left. When it goes it is horribly painful and mine is a bastard every single morning.

I'm sure the club will manage him through the season but if he makes 30 games I'll be surprised.

Unfortunately at some point in the next 2-3 years I suspect he will have to make a decision on whether he plays on or risks serious issues in later life.

Are you saying he's got the old 'snide' knee?
  • who delivered the guilty tackle?
  • No one. It's just wear and tear.
  • Was with Diego and he said it doesn't bother Chris whilst he's playing, but afterwards where it swells up. So two games in a week is unlikely.

Best right back since John Humphrey and Luke Young in my opinion.
    I'd also put Danny Mills (1st time) ahead of him.
    Still quality though
  • 1) Humphrey 2) Solly 3) Penfold 4) Mills
  • 1) Humphrey 2) Solly 3) Penfold 4) Mills

loved mark penfold, sooo unlucky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Johnny H, Mills, Young, Solly
  • Don't forget Simon Francis
  • Saw John Humphrey this Summer at a charity game, still looks classy. When we sold him I rang the Club to protest, only to be told that it was done to pay the wages.
  • I don't see why this keeps being brought up,
    Bob Peeters has already said he spoke at length with the medical team, and said that providing he trains less than the others he will be fine to play
    Bob Peeters has already said he spoke at length with the medical team, and said that providing he trains less than the others he will be fine to play

Sorted then. Lets never speak of Chris Solly again. Its not like this is a place to talk about things such as Charlton players.

From now Bob's word is final and the matter should never be discussed especially on a football forum of all places.
    Not what I said but in pretty much every friendly match he has not played in its the same thing being mentioned over and over again, people saying they are worried he will never be the same again, or is his career over, the point I was making was Bob said its manageable and as they manager I trust his judgement, and don't feel it needs to be discussed every time he does not play
  • In a way Chris Solly's ongoing injury problem could work in our favour. His injury issues will scare off any interest from other clubs. Agree with others that if we can get around 30 games a season out of Chris we will do well.
  • Paulie,

Didn't you tell us that Peeters said that he was looking forward to working with Riga? But it seems he was lined up for a move all the time.

Manager/directors/players are "economical with the truth" sometimes and sometimes things change.

Sorted then. Lets never speak of Chris Solly again. Its not like this is a place to talk about things such as Charlton players.

From now Bob's word is final and the matter should never be discussed especially on a football forum of all places.
    Not what I said but in pretty much every friendly match he has not played in its the same thing being mentioned over and over again, people saying they are worried he will never be the same again, or is his career over, the point I was making was Bob said its manageable and as they manager I trust his judgement, and don't feel it needs to be discussed every time he does not play
    Because a manager would never say something that wasn't quite true to placate fans would he? Is it really necessary for you to jump down everyone's throats Paulie? It was funny at first but now it's just getting odd.
    explain when I jumped down anyone's throat