Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Atletico Clube de Portugal (FT 2-0)

Comments

• Just got home to see the score. Can anyone tell me what sort of standard the opposition are?

Worst team of 2nd tier in Portugal
    Pretty sure Sporting Lisbon (as they are known) are in the first tier of Portuguese football....so not a bad result, I would say.
    LOL
    Atletico Clube de Portugal
  • Sounds like we may have our Yann replacement with Gorgeous George.
  • They wernt a bad side at all would win the conference with something to spare and played some nice football with a lot of physical challenges both teams would have had a player sent off first half if it was a league game with cousins knee challenge and there midfielders off the ground two footer that injured johann. Charlton dominated the possession and clearly they was working on playing out from the back, Gomez played right back and looked superb. Solly is here but hasn't kicked a ball in the two training sessions I've seen. He's running very gingerly same
    With moussa hasn't kicked a ball just been on the bike the whole time. Brilliant facilities at la cala and I'm sure they will use them again next season.

You sure you're there? Cousins didn't play first half.
  • just walked in, wowee, we beat athletico!
  • Can't believe Roland has only sent one of the media team out to Spain. More evidence of his penny pinching ways. :-)
  • tbh, friendlies arent really a good predictor of the team, most managers even admit it is just for fitness. however i will judge what this team will be like when we play brentford away. if we do a good job then i think we will see a decent season bar an anomalous result. however i hear we are playing fro mthe back which is good.
  • edited July 2014
    I only skim read the friendly chuff matches , good to hear Vetokele get in to so many scoring positions not so good to hear he's got Church's shooting boots on

George sounds like he's doing well enough

And yep it all means jack once the real stuff starts

Sounds like Solly will be a bit part again with his injury probs meaning his wrapped in cotton wool

Can't wait till the season starts so I can hopefully find my Charlton mojo again (he says posting at 5.30am #weirdo )
  • Sponsored links:

• Just got home to see the score. Can anyone tell me what sort of standard the opposition are?

Worst team of 2nd tier in Portugal
    Pretty sure Sporting Lisbon (as they are known) are in the first tier of Portuguese football....so not a bad result, I would say.
    No that's Sporting Club De Portugal, this was the poor side Atletico Club De Portugal
  • They wernt a bad side at all would win the conference with something to spare and played some nice football with a lot of physical challenges both teams would have had a player sent off first half if it was a league game with cousins knee challenge and there midfielders off the ground two footer that injured johann. Charlton dominated the possession and clearly they was working on playing out from the back, Gomez played right back and looked superb. Solly is here but hasn't kicked a ball in the two training sessions I've seen. He's running very gingerly same
    With moussa hasn't kicked a ball just been on the bike the whole time. Brilliant facilities at la cala and I'm sure they will use them again next season.

You sure you're there? Cousins didn't play first half.
    Sorry yes I think I'd had a few more beers when posted I stood over the over side from the fans second half and the cousins tackle looked pretty naughty by the byline but then again they should have been down to ten in about 5 minutes. Overall it was a good workout and peeters clearly had them working on set pieces, working out from the back and throw ins down lawries side.
  • The lad I know from work texted to say he was having a beer with Peeters & the coaching staff after the game. He also said not to build my hopes up for this season. I reminded him I was a Charlton fan and we don't do hope!!

I think we're also a little afraid to say what many are thinking. Just how many games do you think Chris Solly has left in him? I fear the worst and that his injury is more serious than anyone has so far admitted. Having said we don't do it, I really hope I am wrong.
  • Oh well, you can only beat what is infront of you.

Maybe the timing, but I don't think I've ever known such general disinterest in a Charlton 1st XI fixture

The problem I have is the standard of opposition does not allow any evaluation of players as to their quality for the championship
  • Ben Haim came on during the second half and they both played well in that position.
  • Ben haim started the game and played centre back all the way through to when he was subbed off for bikey, Wilson played right back first half and Gomez second half. Wilson looked like he was limping when he came off, piggott had ice on his ankle and both the other keepers where injured. people that are saying they wernt any good etc. They played some nice football, keeper was decent and had some players that put them selves about I would bet my bottom dollar they would win the conference and maybe even top half league 2.
  • who was number 6. it was hard to tell all the new players.
  • I can't remember the numbers either haha. But starting was

Pope
    Wiggins
    Morrison
    Ben haim
    Wilson
    Gudmonsson
    Jackson
    Buyens
    Harriot
    Piggott
    Vetekole

Nego for johann before half time
    Gomez for Wilson at half time
    Church for piggott
    George for vetekole
    Bikey for Ben haim
    Fox for wiggins
    Ansah for harriot
    Munns for buyens
    Cousins for jacko
  • Sponsored links:

• There were a lot of new faces out there. I thought they were much better than when i saw them at welling. I thought Igor played well and no 23 and no 6 too.
  • Did Ansah play up front when he came on?

I would imagine when he came on it went to a 4-3-3
  • ross1 said:

Charlton Athletic FC @CAFCofficial · 18s
    46' @J_Gomez97 replaces @Lawrie_Wilson at half-time #cafc #CAFCInSpain

So, who is playing RB, come on CAFC twitter, lets have more information, what else are you doing, but watching the game
    I was in fact filming the match for CAFC Player, writing a match report and live tweeting all at the same time tonight - without any WiFi.

Usually we send two people to matches but it's only me out here in Spain - probably why there wasn't as many tweets as usual.

Also there actually wasn't a great deal of action during the second period once the subs were made.

Sorry Jimmy, did not realise you had so much to do, in that case you did well

I would imagine when he came on it went to a 4-3-3
    He played left midfield with nego right midfield
  • seth plum said:

In a weird way Pigott being tall is not a great help. He can have a very decent touch on the ground, and unusually for a forward he has the instinct to do something a bit nippy inside the area.
    A lot of forwards in the box will naturally go straight for goal, and avoid much jiggery pokery, so other players often see a forward as someone you have to set up on goal, and with Joe, the thought is 'tall man, cross, he can head it', (which he is capable of doing), but setting Joe up with other kinds of opportunities may pay dividends.

If Joe had the right partner/collaborator he could be better than a lot of people think.

I think you're right there, it's similar to the way Peter Crouch sometimes gets misused when people assume 'tall/powerful = gets on crosses' which is not always the case - 'good feet for a big man' is a cliche but not without basis. I also get the impression that being young and possibly not done growing yet he's still getting used to his own body to an extent, and with time and experience he'll be better able to use his size and strength to his advantage.