Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jarnail Singh

I like him.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    is he the ref today ?...i thought he played a blinder, never once lost control of the game, kept it flowing when he could and the only booking was the one for their player stupidly losing his rag and kicking the ball away...liked him from the start when i saw blackpool was allowed to play in their home shirts...i pisses me off when teams have to change shirts because the ref tells 'em to...the daftest thing must have been us at west brom a few weeks ago having to borrow some blue shorts from them...
  • yep good game.
  • He had an excellent game, not sure about the lino in the first half by the west stand. He gave offside for one of our players when the ball did not come into the attacking half, and the player ran into our half to get the ball, he put his flag up.
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]He had an excellent game, not sure about the lino in the first half by the west stand. He gave offside for one of our players when the ball did not come into the attacking half, and the player ran into our half to get the ball, he put his flag up.

yeah... started a thread about that a few minutes ago...that's the second time that's happened us recently...big chris got given offside a couple of home matches back in the same circumstances...
  • Best ref we've had this season at The Valley anyway.
  • Isn't he the same ref that give us the 2 pens against Norwich?
  • [cite]Posted By: Peakie_Rocket[/cite]Isn't he the same ref that give us the 2 pens against Norwich?

Yes
  • Would like to see him, in the prem next season at The Valley.
  • he's a good ref, does not try and grab the limelight and seems pretty fair.
  • Who do I e-mail regarding ref Singh he has been the best ref Ive seen in the last 2 years. Credit where credits due.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree that he had a very good game, but can't quite imagine there would have been the same sort of reaction had he made all the same decisions but we had lost 4-1...!
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]is he the ref today ?...i thought he played a blinder, liked him from the start when i saw blackpool was allowed to play in their home shirts...i pisses me off when teams have to change shirts because the ref tells 'em to...

Not so sure in this case. I think players on both sides got the shirts mixed up. I've never seen so many passes, and I mean passes go to the oppo!
  • Both Mr Golightly and I were very impressed with Mr Singh. Wish more refs were like him. He seemed to realise that he was there to do a job and that the football was the main attraction.
  • Good referee. Well done mate.
  • Excellent ref, the best we've had this season. Thats what I said after the Norwich game. Same today. Top man.
  • When i first saw him i thought it was Monty Panasar running around the pitch!!!!!
  • Are you Monty in disguise?

Areeee you Monteeee in disguise...
  • If we ended up in the Play Off final I would be happy to see him in charge rather than one of the Prem refs - especially Styles!
  • 7yes very good ref not often anyone can say that

Sure we should have gave him a Monty monty give us a wave at the end
  • Thing is you could see the players rated him as well. He did not over react, kept things calm and low key whilst still maintaining control. Also played advantage well unlike most others!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2008
    Don't hold his day job against him, though!

Jarnail Singh interview from the Football League's site

Seriously though, he's a great ref. Shame to see that as he's in his mid-40s, he's not likely to make it into the Premiership now.
  • *blows dust off thread*

He's long retired, but his sons have made refereeing a family business: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56631593
  • *blows dust off thread*

He's long retired, but his sons have made refereeing a family business: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56631593
    Both are in their mid 30s, so have a chance of rising further up the ladder

On Quest yesterday everyone was very positive about Rebecca Welch's first  games in charge. Ritchie Wellens had a quite a moan about the referees in L1 and L2, noting that many were too old and thus struggled to keep up with play. Also being less fit they were likely to get tired towards the end of matches and make more mistakes
  • edited April 2021
    Back in 2017 I was reffed a couple of times by Jarnail Singh (he started doing Sunday Middlesex League games).

First time he was excellent. A cut above.

Second time, I got the impression he couldn't really be bothered to do it properly. Shame because it was good to get a referee with such pedigree. 

Marvin Thompson (League linesman) was similar. Brilliant ref but sometimes would get bored with how easy it was at our level. Lovely bloke though.

The best I had was back in the late 80s. Fella called Steven Pratt. We didn't have a ref but he turned up unannounced to our game when his had been called off (that's like Xmas, birthday, Charlton winning the cup!) Within minutes he was using first names and was so good it wasn't true. Turned out he was a Shell oil-worker in Rotterdam and normally did the Eredivisie!!! 
  • Don't hold his day job against him, though!

Jarnail Singh interview from the Football League's site

Seriously though, he's a great ref. Shame to see that as he's in his mid-40s, he's not likely to make it into the Premiership now.
    Out of curiosity @InspectorSands what was his day job?
    something socially unacceptable? Taxman? Grave robber? Employee of Millwall Football club?
  • His old man gave us a couple of pens against Norwich back in September 2007. Both converted 
  • His Dad was a good ref, always seemed to just quietly be having a good game, no fuss or drama.