Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chocolate and chip butties - How the Duchatelet model could work for England

Quite an interesting article by Paul Breen, the guy whose novel, 'The Charlton Men', was recently published

http://footballpink.net/2014/06/28/chocolate-and-chip-butties-how-the-duchatelet-model-could-work-for-england/?

Comments

• Nice read.

Getting young players experience overseas is key for me. It's sad that they feel fulfilled by big salaries ahead of being better footballers. Experience of different cultures, both in football terms and not. For RD's model it will require each club to be viewed as an autonomous entity working a network, rather than a network working to the benefit of one or two clubs.

We were told we were seen as a model club in the 2000s, not sure how this worked out in practice but perhaps we can be a model at least in terms of demonstrating the benefits of a broader view of football rather than a focus on short term benefits for individual clubs. I hope RD is more than an idealist.
  • rikofold said:

Nice read.

Getting young players experience overseas is key for me. It's sad that they feel fulfilled by big salaries ahead of being better footballers. Experience of different cultures, both in football terms and not. For RD's model it will require each club to be viewed as an autonomous entity working a network, rather than a network working to the benefit of one or two clubs.

We were told we were seen as a model club in the 2000s, not sure how this worked out in practice but perhaps we can be a model at least in terms of demonstrating the benefits of a broader view of football rather than a focus on short term benefits for individual clubs. I hope RD is more than an idealist.

well rd is known as a "progressive" political activist in his homeland...