Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Forget Poyet - get behind Cousins

Everyone is going on about Poyet leaving after playing (very well we all agree) 23 games. Cousins played all season, out of position most of the time and in my opinion is a better all round player than Poyet. Cousins has played in all the England youth games up to under 21's and was captain in most of them. Poyet played under 17's and was only called up for the under 19 training squad not in the playing squad. I think the sooner we forget Poyet and realise what a good player we have in Cousins, the better. If he is now played in his best position CM alongside Buyens, I think we could have a strong midfield, (obviously not forgetting Jackson), depending who is playing wide obviously, I like Wilson, but hopefully BP is bringing in a quality right winger.

Comments

• He's not the same kind of midfielder as Poyet!

but I agree the lads at least loyal, we have stood by him and supported him in difficult situations that he found himself in. Maybe he feels he owes us a bit more than poyet does.
  • Couldn't agree more with this. As good as Poyet was last season it was just 23 games, all in his favoured (and best) position. Cousins was constantly being asked to play out of position to accommodate others, at 19 not an easy task. Ok, he looked a fish out of water at times but he never stopped trying his best. I think he deserves a lot more credit for his efforts last term and i can see him being a mainstay in midfield for us next season. Keep up the good work Jordan!
  • Good replys boys
  • edited June 2014
    I wanted to keep Diego but that doesn't (didn't) mean I don't rate Jordan Cousins. He (Jordan) had an excellent first season and was my choice for young player and has all the attributes to develop into an excellent player.

With us I hope.
  • Massive fan of Cousins, but a very different player. The only positive of Poyet leaving is that Cousins will be moved back into the middle for sure. I just loved the idea of those two playing as part of a midfield trio alongside some Belgium whizz next season.
  • well said Ross, Jordan shouldn't be overlooked as an excellent prospect as a central midfield player for cafc for a few years to come
  • This kid is going to be special, no doubt. I think it's fair to say that adding a few more goals/assists to his game would be helpful, but with Diego gone hopefully we can get Cousins back in the middle and let him off the chain a bit. Reckon he could learn a lot from Jackson and probably Buyens and we'll have one heck of a player on our hands.
  • Great post - even on the Poyet thread, appreciation for Cousins shines thru' I love him and think he is better - looking forward to seeing him in CM next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Different kind of player and better in virtually evry way apart from positional integrity. Cousins every time.
  • Had my vote for POTY last season and confident that his struggles having to play out of position will only serve him well for the future.
  • Great respect for Jordan after he guested at NWKA last season & as I posted at the time.

Totally committed to our Club & a young man whose head won't be easily turned IMHO.

Keith Peacock told me that he felt Jordan's fantastic first season in the first team had been overshadowed by Diego's "late entry" and was anxious that his massive contribution did not go unrewarded....hence the management's decision to name Jordan the Young Player of the Year.

I'm certain that Big Bob will be quick to recognise Jordan's undoubted skills, courage and energy & that he will be ever present on the pitch next season - a fine advert for our Academy indeed !

Have a fantastic, successful season, Jordan !

• Agreed, i always liked Cousins more then Poyet last season, he is not as good a player on a technical level but i love those strong runs he can go on and he has an eye for goal too, which always helps.

A good solid pro all round IMO.
  • Jordan Cousins is a very good defensive midfielder, who can push on and has a decent shot on him, he had to go out to the right to allow Diego to play DM, I think given the chance Jordan will flourish this season.
  • I think you'll find I said when Jordan broke through that he was the best youth player I think we have produced since the roof

Jordan when played in position and allowed to play his game has more right now offensively than Diego is stronger than Diego and does not make as many errors in decisions of what pass to make than Diego

Why

Because he was allowed to play early enough and gained valuable experience at the front end of the season

And this was with only a partial first team pre season

Personally I cant wait to watch cousins and buyens

That's not saying Diego in anyway was shit he wasn't

But he did not move the ball forward fast enough even only ten yd pass and on many occasions passed a ball to a player under pressure who was no where near as good as Diego to deal with it

Cousins gomez Diego edwards Lennon in that order for best of that youngster production line we have built
  • Great post.
    Should be a monster player for us next season.
  • At the end of the day... We as Charlton fans thought that Diego Poyet had a better season that Jordan Cousins did last season (Hence Diego getting the Player of the Year award)

BUT... Which of those two were called up to represent the England U21s this Summer?
  • Taking nothing away from Poyet but he came into a struggling team and was a much needed boost and no doubt is a talent and I think will be a special player, but I cant help thinking it is to soon for him. Going from a struggling championship team to a top Premier side is a massive jump and I suspect a lot of League cup games lay in wait.
    What price Cousins is playing regularly in the Prem before Poyet?
  • I thought he was a tad pee'd off towards the end of the season at having been somewhat gazumped for the fans affections by Poyet and moved out of position to accommodate his less experienced though undoubtedly talented colleague. So this post is spot on.

Give him our man-love and resist the temptation of shouting "you're shit, Cousins!" if he happens to mis-place a pass or two. Sadly I'll bet I will hear that at the Valley sooner than later. We do have some plonkers for fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally he was the bright spot of the first half of the season and I think he is going to be a top player.
  • Sounds a bit Gillingham to me.
  • Cousins and Buyens could be an amazing pairing.
  • Dazzler21 said:

He's not the same kind of midfielder as Poyet!

but I agree the lads at least loyal, we have stood by him and supported him in difficult situations that he found himself in. Maybe he feels he owes us a bit more than poyet does.

No he's not, he's better.
  • Cousins and Buyens could be an amazing pairing.

This
    Add Wilson Jackson and Harriott And that 5 man midfield doesn't look too shabby.

• What a lovely change, apart from that strange remark about Gillingham this whole thread is very positive. Well done everybody. Did anybody notice what Roland said about Bob the other day ? One reason why Bob got the job is that he loves to give the youngsters a chance, could also explain why the previous managers were not retained.
  • Granpa said:

What a lovely change, apart from that strange remark about Gillingham this whole thread is very positive. Well done everybody. Did anybody notice what Roland said about Bob the other day ? One reason why Bob got the job is that he loves to give the youngsters a chance, could also explain why the previous managers were not retained.

Granpa said:

What a lovely change, apart from that strange remark about Gillingham this whole thread is very positive. Well done everybody. Did anybody notice what Roland said about Bob the other day ? One reason why Bob got the job is that he loves to give the youngsters a chance, could also explain why the previous managers were not retained.

Yeah, because Powell didn't give any youth players their debut and Riga didn't play seven academy players in one game.

He got the job becsuse he was Roland's man all along. Riga was a stop-gap for RD. I think he'll do well here though.
  • I think Poyet made Cousins job alot easier, I like him Cousins but there is a reason Diego is off elsewhere and Jordan isn't, Premier League teams can facilitate Diego and work him into a team, Jordan not so.. I know which of the two I'd prefer to keep, but let's hope Jordan outperforms himself this season, as his willingness and fitness in any and every position is second to none
  • Dazzler21 said:

He's not the same kind of midfielder as Poyet!

No he's not, he's better.
    I made this statement on the Poyet thread. I have seen them both over a long period of time, (it may seem sad, but I haven't missed a single KSC game yet!) and I consider him a better player.

He is more powerful, probably quicker, has a better range of passing, and is more likely to score a goal.

I was told I must be blind...
  • I've always preferred Cousins. Let's not forget he was played out of position for most games last season. His performance in the Forest game was as good as, if not better than any of Poyet's. He is more of a complete player than Poyet and is much more of a goal threat going forward. He times his runs into the box perfectly in a Lampard-esq way. He's also able to get himself out of tricky positions too and is similar to Parker and Solly in that respect. Exciting times ahead I hope, especially if Buyens partners him.