Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad List - 26th June

NAME AGE CONTRACT EXPIRY (FIRST TEAM LEAGUE APPEARANCES)

Players with contracts that run beyond 2014 (25)

Goalkeepers

Nick Pope 21 2018 (1)
Dillon Phillips 18 2016 (0)

Right Backs

Chris Solly 23 2017 (124)
Loïc Négo 23 2017 (1)

Centre Backs

Michael Morrison 26 2016 - Signed new contract
Harry Lennon 19 2016 (2)

Left Backs

Rhoys Wiggins 26 2018 (103)
Morgan Fox 20 2017 (6)

Right Midfielders

Lawrie Wilson 26 2015 (72)
Kurtis Cumberbatch 18 2015 - signed on free transfer from Watford (0)

Central Midfielders

Johnnie Jackson 31 2016 (147)
Jordan Cousins 19 2016 (42)
Harry Gerard 19 2015 (0)
Jack Munns 20 2015 (0)
Kadell Daniel 19 2015 (0)
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis 18 2016
Yoni Buyens 26 2015 - Signed on one year loan from Standard Liege

Left Midfielders

Callum Harriott 19 2016 (45)

Strikers

Reza Ghoochannejhad 26 2016 (15)
Simon Church 25 2015 (38)
Piotr Parzyszek 20 2018 (1)
Joe Pigott 20 2016 (11)
Tobi Sho-Silva 18 2015 ( )
Zak Ansah 20 2016 (0) - Signed on free transfer from Arsenal
Igor Vetokele 22 2019 (0) - Signed for undisclosed fee from FC Copenhagen

Players whose contracts expire 30th June 2014 (17)

Adebayo Azeez - Released - Signed for AFC Wimbledon

Jordan Cook - Released

Leon Cort - Released

Dorian Dervite - Offered new contract - Signed for Bolton Wanderers on three year deal

Cedric Evina - Released

Kevin Feely - Released - Signed for Newport County on two year deal

Danny Green - Released - Signed three year contract with MK Dons

Mark Gower - Released

Ben Hamer - Offered new contract - Signed for Leicester City on a three year deal

Danny Hollands - Released - Signed for Portsmouth on a two year deal

Andy Hughes- Released

Bradley Jordan - Released

Oliver Muldoon - Offered new contract

Harry Osborne- Offered new contract

Diego Poyet - Offered new contract - Rejected

Bradley Pritchard - Released

Richard Wood - Offered new contract - Signed for Rotherham

Comments

• (was not aware of their limbo status), so, in the opinion of those who have seen them recently, are oliver muldoon and harry osborne worth pursuing hard, and do they want to stay with charlton?
  • Why put Rejected next to Poyet and Not hamer, who we did offer a contract to
  • Why put Rejected next to Poyet and Not hamer, who we did offer a contract to

Because Hamer rejected our offer to join Leicester. At this time Poyet is a free agent.
  • Thought Kadell Daniel was a left-back?
  • Thought Kadell Daniel was a left-back?

Can play left back and midfield.

• The 'relagados'.
  • At last we now have a normal contract situation where you would see at any normally well-run club with Wilson and Church being the only senior players who's contracts are due to expire in a year's time.

A few youngsters too but that's to be expected. We've kept a good core of the squad from last season we can now build upon and push on for the season and I would expect RD to now offer Wilson a new contract sometime soon maybe this summer? in order to avoid another contract fiasco, he's well worth a new contract so get him signed up please RD!
  • I have seen Osborne play centre half in the development squad.
  • At last we now have a normal contract situation where you would see at any normally well-run club with Wilson and Church being the only senior players who's contracts are due to expire in a year's time.

A few youngsters too but that's to be expected. We've kept a good core of the squad from last season we can now build upon and push on for the season and I would expect RD to now offer Wilson a new contract sometime soon maybe this summer? in order to avoid another contract fiasco, he's well worth a new contract so get him signed up please RD!

Good points. The mess left by TJ and MS will take time to resolve.

• Pope's now under contract until 2018.
  • Sponsored links:

• surely, we are in a much better place overall now, but not sure the ins and outs thus far make us better, but optimistic that the mix will be superior by the big kick-off!
  • Still short on centre backs and wide midfielders. Not 100% about centre mid now Poyet's gone. Cousins, Buyens and Jackson doesn't sound too formidable. Buyens and Cousins are holding midfielders and I wasn't the biggest fan of JJ last year due to how I thgt we sacrificed a lot to accommodate him...
  • I heard that Harry Osborne has accepted a 12 month contract, but not seen it on the OS
  • Is that the mess where six of the first team came through the academy and are all on long term deals negotiated by Powell and Prothero.
    Or do you mean the awful mess where Duchatelet has released more than ten players who were not going to help us push up the table...for free.
    Can't be that so you must mean the fact that cost base is so lean that Duchatelet can bring in two players worth €5m with promises of more to come.
    Remember @Henry Irving‌ that when you cheer on the team in Liege that most of them were signed by the last owners.
    Four players out of 37 have declined terms and moved on. About time you did the same instead of blaming the people who bankrolled the club for three years, lost probably £5m in the process and left us one division higher and owned by a half billionaire who has a track record in running football clubs.

I know it is both popular and populist to attack the owners but the simple fact is that we are in a better place now in 2014 than we were in 2010.

This is hilarious
  • Goes without saying that we need to add more quality to this list. Even Skybet has us at 9/4 to be relegated...
  • ross1 said:

I heard that Harry Osborne has accepted a 12 month contract, but not seen it on the OS

Trying to just go on what is confirmed by the Club. Hope Osbourne and Muldoon do sign up, if they haven't already.

Did we ever hear about the schoolboys being kept on/released?

• The 'relagados'.

Grump by name....... :)
  • Laurie Wilson should be offered a new contract for definite in the next 6 months . He is one of the top three Charlton players and contributes easily as much as Poyet , Jackson et al. A really important player both on and off the field.

He may not be the best, but he'll run through walls for the team and i think he's part of the Charlton fabric now. As important to our squad this year as Morro and Jacko. His attitude at Blackpool was very heart warming.
  • Sponsored links:

• The club is on a journey and I am using stats around the squad to illustrate we are in a better place. I believe potentially the best since relegation from the premier league. Peter Varney was clearly part of that journey and with the then new owners money he found a manager and a new squad to lift us out of League 1.
    Duchatelet is repeating that process now - new coach, new players. The advantages he has over the owners three years back is that he is retaining many more players able to compete at this level and that by taking Liege from 6th to 2nd he has demonstrated he knows how to run a club. And it is his money and not a third party funding the project so the tap won't be switched off half way through.
    Running a championship club without liquid funds is no joke - I make it a rule not to comment on staffing matters but I can imagine the stresses within the club.
    That period was over 6 months ago and another restructuring is under way. You and I know that the management team is changing and I assume there is a commercial rationale behind other changes.
    I'm not sure the club has been going backwards since 2012 as we had a 9th place finish in May 2013 showing what we might achieve in the future. And losses have been reducing each year. But in general I accept that there is a lot to put right. The pitch is done and 90% of the squad are on long term deals.
    What I found unbelievable was that the previous owners would risk their whole investment toying with relegation while trying to sell the club. And for the sake of perhaps an additional £1.5M on the playing budget?
    At least the league position in November meant that they rapidly adjusted expectations on price for it appears they initially wanted a £10-15M premium plus their loans repaid in full for the work executed by Varney and Powell.
    For all of the issues with Slater and Jiminez, they demonstrated that value was added over the three years given that the deal to sell the club was considerably higher than the one in 2010.
  • ross1 said:

I heard that Harry Osborne has accepted a 12 month contract, but not seen it on the OS

Trying to just go on what is confirmed by the Club. Hope Osbourne and Muldoon do sign up, if they haven't already.

Did we ever hear about the schoolboys being kept on/released?
    No but the club have listed Terell Thomas and Levander Pyke (who did mention getting a pro deal on Twitter) as being in the development squad:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/team/squad-list/

That suggests all others in that year group have left, apart from Holmes-Dennis who is already pro.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/team/academy/
  • edited June 2014

The club is on a journey and I am using stats around the squad to illustrate we are in a better place. I believe potentially the best since relegation from the premier league. Peter Varney was clearly part of that journey and with the then new owners money he found a manager and a new squad to lift us out of League 1.
    Duchatelet is repeating that process now - new coach, new players. The advantages he has over the owners three years back is that he is retaining many more players able to compete at this level and that by taking Liege from 6th to 2nd he has demonstrated he knows how to run a club. And it is his money and not a third party funding the project so the tap won't be switched off half way through.
    Running a championship club without liquid funds is no joke - I make it a rule not to comment on staffing matters but I can imagine the stresses within the club.
    That period was over 6 months ago and another restructuring is under way. You and I know that the management team is changing and I assume there is a commercial rationale behind other changes.
    I'm not sure the club has been going backwards since 2012 as we had a 9th place finish in May 2013 showing what we might achieve in the future. And losses have been reducing each year. But in general I accept that there is a lot to put right. The pitch is done and 90% of the squad are on long term deals.
    What I found unbelievable was that the previous owners would risk their whole investment toying with relegation while trying to sell the club. And for the sake of perhaps an additional £1.5M on the playing budget?
    At least the league position in November meant that they rapidly adjusted expectations on price for it appears they initially wanted a £10-15M premium plus their loans repaid in full for the work executed by Varney and Powell.
    For all of the issues with Slater and Jiminez, they demonstrated that value was added over the three years given that the deal to sell the club was considerably higher than the one in 2010.

Yes, we had a 9th place finish, but that covered the fact we didn't invest enough in the playing staff when we went up, then the next season released important players without replacing them, failed to bring in or even entertain the thought of any of Powell's main targets and spent the season in a relegation dogfight. How is that not going backwards?
  • Centre back is a worry at the moment is Gomez ready to step in if we get a bad injury? How many more games can Morrows legs last - 2016 is a lot of games!
  • jac52 said:

Centre back is a worry at the moment is Gomez ready to step in if we get a bad injury? How many more games can Morrows legs last - 2016 is a lot of games!

With our typical cup form, 2014/15 will be less games 2913/14.
  • Personally think as it stands we have a very weak squad. Poyet and Dervite were the 2 stand out players from the few months. Alot of work to be done.

Agree. Our midfield looks particularly lightweight.
  • Stating the obvious perhaps but it doesn't really matter if the squad is stronger or weaker than last season.

The reason for that is that CAFC 14/15 will never play CAFC 13/14.

So perhaps the question should be how strong relatively are we compared to the other 23 sides in the league and how well have they strenghthened their squads?

Blackpool appear very short of players full stop but most of other teams who finished around us and the three promoted sides seem to be spending. Will shall see how well.

Sheff Weds have new rich owners and we all know how massive that club is.

Leeds have a new mad owner and Hudds finished the season very badly.

Bolton have strengthened after a good finish.

The three new sides are unknowns at this level but our own 9th place finish two years ago shows the gap can be bridged.

Interesting times
  • Stating the obvious perhaps but it doesn't really matter if the squad is stronger or weaker than last season.

The reason for that is that CAFC 14/15 will never play CAFC 13/14.

So perhaps the question should be how strong relatively are we compared to the other 23 sides in the league and how well have they strenghthened their squads?

Blackpool appear very short of players full stop but most of other teams who finished around us and the three promoted sides seem to be spending. Will shall see how well.

Sheff Weds have new rich owners and we all know how massive that club is.

Leeds have a new mad owner and Hudds finished the season very badly.

Bolton have strengthened after a good finish.

The three new sides are unknowns at this level but our own 9th place finish two years ago shows the gap can be bridged.

Interesting times

No but it does matter if the squad is just plain weak. And at the moment, it is.